Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 PM

26 posts, read 265,889 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving from Charleston area SC.

Well I have been dead set on Charlotte myself but one of the main reasons for us to make the move was to be closer to the mountains.Sure we have the beach here but thats not really our thing.The more and more my wife and I were looking at making trips to the mountians from Charlotte we started looking at Asheville.
I know ther are going to be some MAJOR differences between these two cities,size of course being the most obvious,but does Asheville still have alot to offer?
I have read around the bords and seen that Asheville seems to have a laid back hippy vibe going on...Im ok with that,I dont mind saying that I smoke marijuana responsibly so that could be a plus,but I would not let that define my decision.
I would be working as an electrician,of course I will set up a job before I move but was wondering if electricians have trouble finding work in Asheville?
Sory to go on and on but any advice or info would be appriciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaks10 View Post
My family and I will be moving from Charleston area SC.

Well I have been dead set on Charlotte myself but one of the main reasons for us to make the move was to be closer to the mountains.Sure we have the beach here but thats not really our thing.The more and more my wife and I were looking at making trips to the mountians from Charlotte we started looking at Asheville.
I know ther are going to be some MAJOR differences between these two cities,size of course being the most obvious,but does Asheville still have alot to offer?
I have read around the bords and seen that Asheville seems to have a laid back hippy vibe going on...Im ok with that,I dont mind saying that I smoke marijuana responsibly so that could be a plus,but I would not let that define my decision.
I would be working as an electrician,of course I will set up a job before I move but was wondering if electricians have trouble finding work in Asheville?
Sory to go on and on but any advice or info would be appriciated!!!
BOTH are EXCELLENT cities. Asheville has become VERY expensive though. Much more expensive than Charleston, SC...MUCH MORE!

Charlotte offers alot of things and alot to do.

You can't go wrong with either city!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Yes that is somthing that I have been worried about since I was so happy that Charllote was going to be cheaper than Charleston.
Seems like Asheville may be a little harder making a living in.
Do you know if the suburbs are pricey as well or is there some affordable living around for a young family pulling in around 30 to 40k?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaks10 View Post
Yes that is somthing that I have been worried about since I was so happy that Charllote was going to be cheaper than Charleston.
Seems like Asheville may be a little harder making a living in.
Do you know if the suburbs are pricey as well or is there some affordable living around for a young family pulling in around 30 to 40k?
I wouldn't say that Charlotte is cheaper than Charleston at all. If it is it is in the areas of town that you would NOT want to live. Charlotte is not cheap.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:37 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
You should look into Gaston County (population should be a little over 200,000 by now). Easy drive into Charlotte from I-85 and you will save some time driving to the mountains/Asheville area (instead of living north or south of Charlotte). You can take I-85 to 74 or 321. Also, if you don't feel like driving to the mountains, there's Kings Mountain and Crowders Mountain State Park. There should also be more business for you here in the Charlotte area.

Crowders Mountain State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crowder's Mountain Photos

Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
You should look into Gaston County (population should be a little over 200,000 by now). Easy drive into Charlotte from I-85 and you will save some time driving to the mountains/Asheville area (instead of living north or south of Charlotte). You can take I-85 to 74 or 321. Also, if you don't feel like driving to the mountains, there's Kings Mountain and Crowders Mountain State Park. There should also be more business for you here in the Charlotte area.

Should also be a little more affordable than Charlotte.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post

Good suggestion Mike - living in Charlotte can be expensive, Gaston county would be more affordable in some places for sure. Plus, I like the way you just hop on 321 to get up to the mountains in no time

Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Sorry I didnt make it clear that I would be wanting to stay on the outskirts of Charlotte.

I have checked the cost of living calculator on Sperlings best places and with a salary of 30k its 13% cheaper to live in the Charlotte area than it is to live in the Charleston area!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM

68 posts, read 284,128 times
Gaston Co. is a good suggestion. On a good day, you can make it to Asheville in just over an hour.

You cant go wrong with the Charlotte or AVL areas though.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Sounds great.

Thanks for all the input guys

Seems to me the best thing to do is live in the Charlotte area and make the weekend trips to Asheville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina