Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

If this is the case the legislators need to revive voter lookup system and make it private.

Basically, you can find all kind of personal information.

For example, Phil Berger didn't register til 2014 and voted absentee the last election.
Due to this site terms his home address is listed, precinct he votes in.

My point is showing ID in this day of hacks is a way to protect the voting process. At least ID should be shown at early vote sites.
When I do vote my precinct and I state my address, most of the time one of poll workers live on my street.

If someone wanted to hack a vote, follow obituaries then look up that person personal info through voter look up.
Or college students can vote at their college then go home and vote too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
We should make voting a requirement and election day a holiday like many other democracies.
This gamesmanship of putting laws and processes in place to increase participation by some while suppressing it for others needs to stop.
This "boogy man" scare tactic of rigged elections as a validation of ID laws while completely ignoring the fact that mail-in ballots are probably the least secure method of voting is incomprehensible to me.
ID's aren't the only mechanism used for outcome manipulation. There are reduced opportunities to vote by numbers of days, quantity of polling locations, gerrymandered districts, etc. that produce different results. In a purple state like NC, these tactics make or break elections.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
"The Court affirmed the district court's interpretation that our Constitution “does not protect the right of all citizens to vote, but rather the right of all qualified citizens to vote.” ... As a result, voting is not a right, but a privilege granted or withheld at the discretion of local and state governments."

So, a voter's ID law is considered illegal, when voting is not a constitutional right. Carrying a firearm without a permit is illegal, yet it is protected by the constitution. Does anybody see the confusion here? The problem isn't the laws enacted by the legislature, it's the morons who get to play dictator because they wear black silk. "A lawyer's job is to create confusion and profit by it."
32 states have voter id laws, its not that hard to make one. The nimrods in Raleigh just need to lay off the obvious discriminatory stuff and bingo, its done.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Personally I would switch to an all-absentee system like CO and OR. Why not?

-Higher turnout rates, more civic participation in democracy.
-Cheaper. The post office already goes to every address, so the infrastructure is already there. Just have them deliver the ballots automatically to everyone, and then you can have a tiny fraction of the voting booths open.
-Things like long lines and showing up at the wrong precinct cease to matter. Much more convenient for voters, since they merely have to drop off the ballot in the nearest blue box.

I would also make voter registration automatic for voting age citizens, rather than opt-in.

All this other stuff we're doing with voter ID is a dog and pony show. Voter fraud is nearly nonexistant, this merely serves as an excuse to make certain kinds of ID that are more likely to be held by the dominant party's constituents valid, while making other types of ID which are valid for many things invalid for voting. Good example of this is Tennessee, where student IDs are invalid, but gun licenses are valid.... not making this up! Can't imagine what the alterior motives are there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina