Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times

Advertisements

Top 5 : oh man I can come up with Top 50!

5. Walking the trails around Falls Lake
4. Diving out of the way of bikers on Falls Lake trails.
3. Tossing a cast or two in Falls Lake while walking around the Falls Lake trails.
2. Landing a Bass or two while doing #3 above.
1. Wearing shorts in December while doing #5, 3, and 2 above.

P.S. Shorts on, and diving during #4 above......not cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Climb Jockey's Ridge
Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway
Fishing on the Outer Banks
Camping by the Hatteras Light
Riding the Swans Quarter or Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke.
Favorite thing to do?

See the production of The Lost Colony at the waterfront theater in Manteo

Old 09-02-2016, 04:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Virginia Creeper Trail
Merchants Millpond
Floating in tube on New River
Beaches on Outer Banks
Grandfather Mountain

Those that don't put the Creeper Trail first have probably not done it!
I did not include fishing.

I saw someone listed DuPont State Forest. Can't deny that one!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Virginia Creeper Trail
Merchants Millpond
Floating in tube on New River
Beaches on Outer Banks
Grandfather Mountain

Those that don't put the Creeper Trail first have probably not done it!
I did not include fishing.

I saw someone listed DuPont State Forest. Can't deny that one!
Question: My plan is to take my 4 bikes, drive to Abingdon, do the bike trail to Damascus, park the bikes, take a cab to Abingdon, drive back to Damascus, pick up the bikes and stay overnight or drive home!

Are there places where we can park the bikes for few hours in Damascus ?

Are cabs available at the trail end in Damascus?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Question: My plan is to take my 4 bikes, drive to Abingdon, do the bike trail to Damascus, park the bikes, take a cab to Abingdon, drive back to Damascus, pick up the bikes and stay overnight or drive home!

Are there places where we can park the bikes for few hours in Damascus ?

Are cabs available at the trail end in Damascus?
I doubt there are cabs. There are several shuttle services, however:

Virginia Creeper Trail Bike Rental and Shuttle Service Guide
Creeper Trail Bike Rental - Shuttle Service - VA Creeper Trail Mountain Bike Rental, Bike Shuttle, Trail Shuttle, Whitetop VA, Damascus VA, Abingdon VA
Shuttle Shack, Damascus VA Bike Rentals, Bike Shuttles - Virginia Creeper Trail Abingdon, Damascus, Whitetop
http://www.adventuredamascus.com/
Appalachian Trail and Virginia Creeper Trail Bike Rental Shuttle Service Damascus, Abingdon, Whitetop

Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I'm confused. You said "My plan is to take my 4 bikes, drive to Abingdon, do the bike trail TO Damascus". Most people do it the other way — are you purposefully wanting to do it in reverse?

From Damascus and Abingdon there are shuttles that will take you to the top of Whitetop and then you can pretty much just coast down to the bottom to Damascus. From there, you can ride on to Abingdon. The trail goes all the way. I have never done the ride from Damascus to Abingdon, but I think it's pretty easy. It's railroad grade, so fairly level (except for the downhill from Whitetop). I've walked some of trail outside Abingdon across the trestle and toward town and always see plenty of people biking.

Here's one, but I'm sure there are several others:
http://www.vacreepertrailbikeshop.com/

Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Virginia Creeper Trail
Floating (fishing) the New River
Stone Mountain State Park
Blue Ridge Parkway
Pungo National Wildlife Refuge
National Whitewater Center

Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm confused. You said "My plan is to take my 4 bikes, drive to Abingdon, do the bike trail TO Damascus". Most people do it the other way — are you purposefully wanting to do it in reverse?

From Damascus and Abingdon there are shuttles that will take you to the top of Whitetop and then you can pretty much just coast down to the bottom to Damascus. From there, you can ride on to Abingdon. The trail goes all the way. I have never done the ride from Damascus to Abingdon, but I think it's pretty easy. It's railroad grade, so fairly level (except for the downhill from Whitetop). I've walked some of trail outside Abingdon across the trestle and toward town and always see plenty of people biking.

Here's one, but I'm sure there are several others:
Virginia Creeper Trail - Bike Rentals and Shuttle Service
I think I got it wrong... The ride from Whitetop to Damascus is donwhill and from Damascus to Abingdon is flat! Thanks for clarifying!

Last edited by nc99; 09-13-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Yes, that's it. Plenty of shuttles to take you to the top of Whitetop so you can ride down.

If you want to stay in Abingdon and don't want to do the 19 mile ride from Damascus to Abingdon I think you could just drive to Damascus and park there and then catch a shuttle to the top of Whitetop.

Here's a list of bike rental and shuttle places: Virginia Creeper Trail Bike Rental and Shuttle Service Guide . If you want to do the whole thing there are places that operate out of Abingdon as well as Damascus.

If you don't want to take your own bikes you can rent one. I _think_ that the shuttle services will take your own bike up, too, (as opposed to their rental), but you might want to email them to make sure before you go to the trouble of carrying your bikes up there.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM

Since its quite a trip from here, Plan to do the entire 34 mile! Not a avid biker, but a recreational biker, my wife and kids don't bike much either...just casual biking around the neighborhood....how hard is Damascus to Abingdon, possible for recreational biker ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina