Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

In terms of the North Carolina legislature...

What's worse than getting egg on your face?

Leaving it there.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
Why would any reasonable institution subject its students or staff to the possibility of grievous physical harm when visiting locales with high crime rates? How about a nice trip to Detroit or Yonkers?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
LOL, Yonkers crime rate is much lower than Charlotte's.
You're right about this particular detail -- Yonkers has really cleaned up its act. I was not aware that Charlotte had gone down so badly (perhaps not unexpected given the evident mindset there )

But you missed seeing the forrest because you were so glad to find one dead tree. So let's look at the other end of the spectrum: The rate of assault (per 100,000 population) in Detroit is 1342; in Cary it's 53. So, as a rough approximation, members of a team visiting Detroit are over twenty-five-times more likely to be assaulted than a team visiting Cary. And yet the NCAA/ACC draws out of Cary but has nothing to say about Detroit. Where is their umbrage regarding Detroit?

The point is that the NCAA doesn't care at all about the experiences of the players -- they are strictly cannon fodder. Rather, they see the current situation in NC as a golden opportunity to divert attention from their own smelly image of exploitation, injury, and academic mediocrity. The reason for this is simple: among many university faculty, NCAA sports are held in contempt, mainly the revenue sports. When I taught math at one of the ACC schools, many of my colleagues were really testy about the way the AD jerked around the school's academics and lowered its standards. Yes, I'm sure that you know better . . .

There was a joke at one time having to do with the struggle at schools like several of the SEC's to build academics that the football team could be proud of.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You're right about this particular detail -- Yonkers has really cleaned up its act. I was not aware that Charlotte had gone down so badly (perhaps not unexpected given the evident mindset there )

But you missed seeing the forrest because you were so glad to find one dead tree. So let's look at the other end of the spectrum: The rate of assault (per 100,000 population) in Detroit is 1342; in Cary it's 53. So, as a rough approximation, members of a team visiting Detroit are over twenty-five-times more likely to be assaulted than a team visiting Cary. And yet the NCAA/ACC draws out of Cary but has nothing to say about Detroit. Where is their umbrage regarding Detroit?

The point is that the NCAA doesn't care at all about the experiences of the players -- they are strictly cannon fodder. Rather, they see the current situation in NC as a golden opportunity to divert attention from their own smelly image of exploitation and injury. The reason for this is simple: among many university faculty, NCAA sports are held in contempt, mainly the revenue sports. When I taught math at one of the ACC schools, many of my colleagues were really testy about the way the AD jerked around the school's academics and lowered its standards. Yes, I'm sure that you know better . . .

There was a joke at one time having to do with the struggle at schools like several of the SEC's to build academics that the football team could be proud of.
I can only respond to what you write, so when your comparison fails, that's on you.

Anyway, this is simply another of your false equivalencies...there is no connection between a city's crime rate and the denial of civil rights of a specific group of people by the state of NC. And its the denial of civil rights that is at the heart of this matter (along with the negative economic impact on the state), not the relative merits of the NCAA as an organization.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Can you cite any instances of this happening to athletes, coaches, or staff visiting NC? Perhaps in Charlotte, Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or Greensboro (I think that these are the venues actually of interest at the moment)?

Could be that the question of murder might be more relevant when teams visit places like Chicago or Baltimore, yet the NCAA et al have little or nothing to say about this, at least as far as I know.
Can you cite any instances of a Trans person doing ANYTHING except using the restroom, in the restroom?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I
Anyway, this is simply another of your false equivalencies...there is no connection between a city's crime rate and the denial of civil rights of a specific group of people by the state of NC. And its the denial of civil rights that is at the heart of this matter (along with the negative economic impact on the state), not the relative merits of the NCAA as an organization.
You think that there is no connection between crime and civil rights? Ha! Try living in Baltimore or Detroit and see how well you do with your civil rights. I'm sure that degenerates can get attention for their grievances du jour; the only aspects missing are the fundamental human rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Try it some time! You'd love living in Detroit, I'm sure. But don't go out after dark.

If HB2 indeed denies civil rights, the way to address this is through elections and legal action. We have the best form of government ever implemented -- let it work without the interference of dirty pigs like the NCAA. That's the bottom line.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Can you cite any instances of a Trans person doing ANYTHING except using the restroom, in the restroom?
I don't claim any such thing. I think the whole stinking mess is a non-issue. A solution looking for a problem, as it were.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
You think that there is no connection between crime and civil rights? Ha! Try living in Baltimore or Detroit and see how well you do with your civil rights. I'm sure that degenerates can get attention for their grievances du jour; the only aspects missing are the fundamental human rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Try it some time! You'd love living in Detroit, I'm sure. But don't go out after dark.

That's NOT what I said.

Quote:
If HB2 indeed denies civil rights, the way to address this is through elections and legal action. We have the best form of government ever implemented -- let it work without the interference of dirty pigs like the NCAA. That's the bottom line.
Again, this has nothing to do with the relative merits of the NCAA as an organization. And using whatever form of leverage any person or organization wishes to legally use in order to bring pressure on the political system to resolve the issue is as old as the Boston tea party.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,006,649 times
Quote:
I can only respond to what you write, so when your comparison fails, that's on you.

If they were really trying to protect their fans and athletes from perceived threats and mistreatment, then there are many cities on their schedule that are a bigger problem than those in North Carolina. Many of those cities and states also do not grant discrimination protections to LGBT people.

This is just a PR move to pile on while North Carolina is down. Easy points to detract from their other scandals and their athletes raping everything that moves

Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Again, this has nothing to do with the relative merits of the NCAA as an organization. And using whatever form of leverage any person or organization wishes to legally use in order to bring pressure on the political system to resolve the issue is as old as the Boston tea party.
It matters a lot who the protestors are. Citizen protest is a lot different from monopolistic, corporate, self-interested, hypocritical protest. The NCAA has dirty hands. Push back against protestors who have dirty hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina