Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Towns I have been adding have been from my views of watching how these areas transforming since I was a kid.
I like seeing how these towns adapt or grow life after furniture and textile industries left.

Two towns I'll add are Salisbury and Hickory with Hickory being my pick of the two due to it has better schools.

In Salisbury, I have noticed several new apartment complexes, new shopping centers being built along Julian Road. For a good while I-85 is nice and wide, cute downtown, a very nice park that could expand its amusement-zoo section is Dan Nicolas Park.
It is close to High Rock Lake an ideal lake for someone looking for a place that isn't over developed or as heavy boat traffic like Lake Norman. (I didn't include this lake in Lexington review as it a drive from core of Lexington)
I think when the expansion of I-85 beneath could help those commute quicker into Charlotte
However, due to Subpar school systems, Kannapolis area will probably see any benefit of this.

I think Hickory might be best-kept secret due to its proximity to the mountains, without the high real estate prices.
Ideal for those who enjoy mountain view homes (if a potential buyer search well this can be obtained and it is near a couple of lakes.
The infrastructure and growth of business are there and I just check great schools and the school system seems fairly well but it easy to find a home for those looking for good schools to pick an area that schools decent.
However like mentioned in OP this area needs good higher paying jobs.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-28-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:53 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Hickory has a ton of potential but it is largely a manufacturing based economy. The southeastern part of Catawaba county is the best bet to attract more diversified job base to the county given it's proximity to Mecklenburg's talent pool. The only problem is some of that growth will spill into other Lake Norman towns

Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Hickory has a ton of potential but it is largely a manufacturing based economy. The southeastern part of Catawba county is the best bet to attract more diversified job base to the county given it's proximity to Mecklenburg's talent pool. The only problem is some of that growth will spill into other Lake Norman towns
I am in Hickory often, and I see a lot of new retail growth in Hickory. If Hickory lands higher pay companies it could diversify more.

I haven't paid attention to core change of Sherrills Ford but it is an ideal place for someone looking more affordable homes by Lake Norman with only around 45 minutes drive into Charlotte.

You made me think of next Lake Norman town, that likely be the next high grow area for the area is Denver.
It seems to be new developments and retail every year for the last 13 years (except recession period is slowed).

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I am in Hickory often, and I see a lot of new retail growth in Hickory. If Hickory lands higher pay companies it could diversify more.

I haven't paid attention to core change of Sherrills Ford but it is an ideal place for someone looking more affordable homes by Lake Norman with only around 45 minutes drive into Charlotte.

You made me think of next Lake Norman town, that likely be the next high grow area for the area is Denver.
It seems to be new developments and retail every year for the last 13 years (except recession period is slowed).
The problem Hickory has attracting white collar HQ type operations is the available labor pool & that's part of the reason Corning is moving to North Meck. The 321 corridor is ideal for a major employer especially once hwy 150 is improved. It offers quick access to a larger skilled labor force & good access to the airport

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Everywhere could be a little more than it is right now. Thats not the criteria the OP posted.
I concur with Wilson, Hickory, and Salisbury. I would add Sanford to the list because of its proximity to the Triangle, US 1 access, and nearby golf.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:45 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Goldsboro.

With its close proximity to the Triangle and I-42 and I-795 both coming together, I can see Goldsboro adding quite a few people to the area.

Greenville is doing pretty well for itself but I agree with the posters that say it needs interstate access.
This. Greenville will soon be on a future interstate corridor if AASHTO approves NCDOT's request in November.

There was also this announcement made recently:

https://www.burr.senate.gov/press/re...transportation

I was in Goldsboro 2 weeks ago and it's certainly grown since I left the area in 2009. It's definitely got potential. I'll also add my vote to Wilson, much for the same reason as being at an interstate crossroads.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:29 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
I don't know about you guys but I don't think any where outside of Raleigh, Charlotte and to a lesser extent the triad and the retirement communities on the coast will continue to see extreme rates of growth. I doubt any more cities will explode like Raleigh and Charlotte have in the past. Think that part of our history is done with. Greeneville is definitely seeing some modest growth though.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I don't know about you guys but I don't think any where outside of Raleigh, Charlotte and to a lesser extent the triad and the retirement communities on the coast will continue to see extreme rates of growth. I doubt any more cities will explode like Raleigh and Charlotte have in the past. Think that part of our history is done with. Greeneville is definitely seeing some modest growth though.
Greenville has grown 7.1% from 2010-2015, which is pretty good growth. Its main suburb Winterville went from 4,700 in 2000 to 9,200 in 2010, which is very significant growth.

Wilmington has grown 8.9% from 2010-2015...again very good. Leland, its main suburb went from 1,900 in 2000 to 13,500 in 2010. That's as extreme as you can get. It's estimated at 18K in 2015.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
All of them.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Towns I have been adding have been from my views of watching how these areas transforming since I was a kid.
I like seeing how these towns adapt or grow life after furniture and textile industries left.

Two towns I'll add are Salisbury and Hickory with Hickory being my pick of the two due to it has better schools.
Sunny, you are relying too much on NCDPI district and "school-wide" data.

Salisbury schools get a bad rap due to the impact of highly diverse population and the fact that Salisbury has never embraced private schools.

The kids of the Salisbury "elite" have for the most part attended Salisbury public schools, and the many successful grads have in turn, been generous toward their schools.

The child of ANY parent who cares about and embraces education, can excel in Salisbury schools. Unfortunately, those with apathetic parents will probably sink to the bottom of the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina