Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 AM

47 posts, read 247,514 times

Advertisements

I'm writing this as a general public service announcement for all residents and visitors to North Carolina, on behalf of the restaurant industry. If you don't know, if your friends and family don't know, if your brother's wife's dog doesn't know, please spread the word.

Waiters and Waitresses do not receive the same minimum wage as everyone else.

When you are eating out in a restaurant and it comes time to pay the check and tip your server, I would like everyone to realize how little restaurant employees actually get paid per hour.

According to the North Carolina Department of Labor, as long as a server works in a restaurant where they receive a small enough amount of tips to not balance out to minimum wage, the current minimum wage is $2.43/hour, and it's dropping again, back to $2.13/hour.

As North Carolina is a Right To Work State, servers are not allowed to have unions or go on strike to protest their wages.

Servers are taxed on the amount of tips they claim to the government, and as a result, their paycheck at the end of a week of work is typically Moderator cut: url removed void.

(So, unless a server has a second job - unlikely in most cases, as many are college students due to scheduling concerns when not at work - they pay their bills, eat food, and put gas in their car directly from the tips they receive while at work.)

In conclusion, the next time you are dining out and reach the end of the meal, please remember this public service announcement. Thank you.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-24-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: to comply with the terms of service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
They need a union.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
They don't get same(in many places besides Raleigh) because they get most in tips. Don't get why this is breaking news and what it really has to do with Raleigh specifically.

This seems about right considering the job.

A typical Food Server - Institution working in the United States earns a median base salary of $19,102, according to our analysis of data reported by corporate HR departments. Half of the people in this job earn between $17,062 and $22,841.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 AM

47 posts, read 247,514 times
Unions: Not allowed in NC...

And Gatornation: Not always true. If every table tips 10% or below, the servers average out less per hour than the dishwashers. Also, they have to tip out bussers, bar, host... a whole group of the rest of the restaurant. That cuts their tips down significantly.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
No they don't need a Union. Unions don't work! If they don't want to be servers they don't have to be servers. They can babysit, or work at the local book store, or coffee shop. There are tons of other jobs out there for people to do. I tip well (always at least 20%) and I know that some of the people I tip probably even make more than me. Why do I need to feel sorry for these people? True, that some servers don't make as much as others, but if they don't like it they can leave that job and find another.

Unions would make the cost of dining out MUCH higher and would probably lose a lot of business for those places, in turn making many of them shut their doors. So if we don't think we make enough, then we can start a union and "we'll force them to pay us what they think we're worth". That's ludicris! If you don't make enough then get another job. Get more education and work towards making a better life for yourself. That's what I've done and continue to do now. I'm still going to school to better myself, because I can't make society pay me what I want them to pay me just because I say so.

Morale here is that, YES do tip well to servers, but unionizing them...not a good idea.

RANT OVER

Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 AM

403 posts, read 353,333 times
I did not know this. Thanks for the info. I usually have great service here, so I will make sure I take care of my serving staff. We usually do about 20% now.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxtayce View Post
As North Carolina is a Right To Work State servers are not allowed to have unions or go on strike to protest their wages.

Oregon is a Right To Work State too and they do not have a service employees union. Yet, wait staff are paid minimum wage plus tips. Not sure how or why... maybe something to research.

Also, while I agree you have no recourse if you choose to strike in protest of wages, if you got all the wait staff on board at a a few restaurants that would make a huge statement... maybe get the attention of local officials... and it would shut down a few restaurants for a bit. It seems that most rests. are always hiring... add a walk out to that and you've got rests. that can't open.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
The minimum wage is just what companies can't pay below. They can still pay more than that. If they are having trouble finding talent, they'll have to pay more. If people don't like what a company is paying, don't go work for them. Unemployment has been very low around here.

The fact is that people are choosing to work these jobs because with the tips the money can be very good at some restaurants.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,519 times
Default This is good information...

to guide us "tippers". My family drums it into our heads as babies that we do not eat out unless we can afford the tip as well. That is because we have several family members in the restaurant business throughout the country. When I lived in New Orleans I had a neighbor that had worked for thirty years at one of the top French Quarter restaurants. He not only received NO salary, he paid them $20 a night to work there and that was years ago. He made enough in tips to comfortably support four children. He had started out at age 16 at a much less pricey restaurant and worked his way into one of the top places. He made sure all of his kids went to college, though!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Nobody is forcing you to do that job. If you aren't making enough money, then maybe you should look into a different line of work since you obviously aren't good at being part of the wait staff. Everybody as a customer knows the average tip for good service is 15% and extremely exceptional service is 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina