Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 08:34 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times

Advertisements

In addition to where are the,
Good schools
Good job opportunity's
Low taxes
Convenient to major shopping

Add this to your criteria

Where can I find a home with the least chance of flooding in a major storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
who knew that saturnfan had a 3rd username??

If your home was endangered or damaged by the floodwaters since last Saturday, I am personally sorry for your loss.

Otherwise, this would be like the questions about 6 years ago..."So, does NC have a lot of tornadoes?"

Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
who knew that saturnfan had a 3rd username??

If your home was endangered or damaged by the floodwaters since last Saturday, I am personally sorry for your loss.

Otherwise, this would be like the questions about 6 years ago..."So, does NC have a lot of tornadoes?"
Typical RE agent response." Pay no attention to buying in a flood area, that's what flood insurance is for".

I certainly feel sorry for those suffering in the flood area that why I am making a donation to the Red Cross .

Leave it to a RE agent for the snarky remarks.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
There are a few issues here.

First, in many of these flooded communities 90% or more of the community is high and dry and functioning properly. Downtowns are on high ground. Places like Tarboro, Greenville, Kinston, Smithfield...its the "other" side of the river that is the problem. But it doesn't change the flooding, its just you don't get that perspective unless you know something about the community.

Second, much of the flooded area in many of these communities are older buildings that have been there for 50 plus years, built before flood mapping, many industrial based, even tobacco warehouses and such. Some was cleaned up and cleaned out after Floyd.

Finally, what this storm is doing is telling people what to do and where. Many this time will listen that didn't listen after Floyd because they said Floyd will never happen again. It will happen again and flooding to this degree isn't a result of development, or ditching, or levees. Feel the worse for places like Fayetteville and Lumberton areas that weren't hit as hard in Floyd. Most of the flooding is affecting the poor, which is really sad. Much of it is uninsured. Hope all of these communities officials take it seriously and develop plans to alleviate the impact in the future of future flooding. Its not the flooding that is the problem it is the seemingly refusal to reduce the impact.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:10 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In addition to where are the,
Good schools
Good job opportunity's
Low taxes
Convenient to major shopping

Add this to your criteria

Where can I find a home with the least chance of flooding in a major storm.
There is no 100% guarantee of safety from Mother Nature... anywhere.

While there are reasonable precautions everyone should take, it's easy to say, "Don't live in eastern NC because of hurricanes and potential for flooding." However, even the Piedmont and Northwest NC weren't safe from Hurricane Hugo in 1989 where we saw widespread damage from heavy rain and high wind... large trees snapped like toothpicks, power outages for an extended period, schools closed up to two weeks, etc. In the middle of the night, I was evacuated from my home in Foscoe (Watauga County) because of threat of a dam breach. Thankfully it didn't.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:08 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Typical RE agent response." Pay no attention to buying in a flood area, that's what flood insurance is for".

I certainly feel sorry for those suffering in the flood area that why I am making a donation to the Red Cross .

Leave it to a RE agent for the snarky remarks.
the entire premise of your need to create a topic seemed to be snarky. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent

I was not aware I said, or HAVE EVER said, what you quote me saying. or assume that I've said.

If you get a mortgage, they are going to order a flood certification. Then you will know whether flood insurance would be required, and whether you want to proceed with the purchase. Further, if you're using a qualified agent, they will know before you ever make an offer whether it's in a flood zone or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina