Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Maybe, just maybe, many companies actually back up their diversity policies with their actions. It has nothing to do with politics--it's just good business to provide an environment that does not tolerate discrimination in any form against their employees.
Thanks. I got a good laugh outta this one. Business has but one god, and that god is money.

OP -- are you familiar with the concept of "virtue signaling?" Some of the most odious organizations extant, for example the NCAA, or if you don't like that one how about Wells Fargo, purported great umbrage and shed gallons of crocodile tears over HB-2 in attempts to spiff-up their own images. More generally, one sees virtue signaling routinely by liberals.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Thanks. I got a good laugh outta this one. Business has but one god, and that god is money.

Oddly stated, but essentially true. The purpose of most businesses is to make a profit. And studies have shown that companies with strong nondiscrimination policies are more profitable.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizenClinton View Post
So no, they follow the same guidelines as HB2.
No. Nobody gives a damn what's on anyone's birth certificate, so it has zero to do with HB2.

Pretty much what people are told is to keep on doing what they were doing prior to HB2 and they won't be discriminated against.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Lets start at the beginning. When these employees were hired certain ones were discriminated against per Federal statute. If these employees attended College certain ones were discriminated against.
I think you are not seeing the difference between discrimination and simply choosing the best candidate.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Oddly stated, but essentially true. The purpose of most businesses is to make a profit. And studies have shown that companies with strong nondiscrimination policies are more profitable.
I love it -- studies have shown. And other studies have shown that studies like these are often the epitome of junk science. Can you deal with self-referential propositions?

Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:

If you apply basic comprehension skills, you'll see that I said "it's just good business", which infers that it ultimately helps the bottom line. By supporting diversity, companies have a larger pool of potential employees from which to hire; there are many very talented people who happen to be LGBT. Larger talent pool = more likely to hire good employees that will help them make more money. It also translates to a larger potential customer pool, as most LGBT people would prefer to do business with companies that don't discriminate. So, oddly enough, I actually agree with you--it is about money!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
If you apply basic comprehension skills, you'll see that I said "it's just good business", which infers that it ultimately helps the bottom line. By supporting diversity, companies have a larger pool of potential employees from which to hire; there are many very talented people who happen to be LGBT. Larger talent pool = more likely to hire good employees that will help them make more money. It also translates to a larger potential customer pool, as most LGBT people would prefer to do business with companies that don't discriminate. So, oddly enough, I actually agree with you--it is about money!
Indeed I see what you're trying to say -- I just don't agree with your approach. The best policy is no policy: don't ask, don't tell. Support neither diversity nor discrimination with bureaucracy and convoluted, hypocritical policy. Side note: surely you meant "implies" rather than "infers."

Old 10-27-2016, 09:05 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Indeed I see what you're trying to say -- I just don't agree with your approach. The best policy is no policy: don't ask, don't tell. Support neither diversity nor discrimination with bureaucracy and convoluted, hypocritical policy. Side note: surely you meant "implies" rather than "infers."

That's nice but in the real world, that ship sailed a long time ago...Jim Crow, separate but equal, blatant sexual/gender discrimination, etc., etc. Most human beings have to be forced to do the right thing, unfortunately.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
NC has a right to pass any constitutional law they want and businesses have the right to expand or relocate in any state they want.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
That's nice but in the real world, that ship sailed a long time ago...Jim Crow, separate but equal, blatant sexual/gender discrimination, etc., etc. Most human beings have to be forced to do the right thing, unfortunately.
The point concerns LGBTQ issues. There is no way to tell who is what. There is no implicit or explicit need for anyone to know anyone else's sexual preference or history. The constitution of the "right thing," of course, is simply your opinion, which is not likely to be universally held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina