Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:31 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,734,142 times

Advertisements

Yeah, not a lot of what you are looking for on the east coast of the US really, never mind NC. Maine has it, but that is all that really comes to mind. The west coast has a lot more options. Well, maybe not in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times
The easternmost area of mountains would be around Mt Airy/Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock almost due north of Winston-Salem, about 250 miles to the beach, or around the Uwharrie Mountains (small, old mountains) near Asheboro, about 200 miles from the beach.

If you go to google maps and turn on the "terrain" under the three bar = menu on the left, you can see how far our mountains are from our coast.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
Thank you. That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if there was an area more in-land with some mountain but still close enough to the beaches. Definitely one or the other. I have a lot of deciding to do!
Or, find somewhere that the mountains are closer to the beach, but that won't be in the Southeast.

As for crime, I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but nobody would call us a high-crime state. Most cities had a few "bad areas" but that is true of every city. Where are you getting your crime info?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:12 PM

32 posts, read 39,530 times
I've been getting the crime rates from city-data. I agree NC isn't considered a high crime state, for sure.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:36 AM

3,066 posts, read 4,804,962 times
I wouldn't go just by crime rate statistics. Much of NC was built as the "other side of the tracks" typical of the South. So much of the crime is localized, especially in places with older public housing. Wilmington is a great example of that. There are a handful of neighborhoods that would be considered unsafe but 95% of it is safe. Guess where 95% of the crime happens?

Additionally when you look at eastern NC, you are talking about relatively low population areas, which reflects a higher crime rate because crime rates are based on population.

Pretty much all of the coast is safe and there are pockets of problem areas in some small towns.

As for the mountains, I would explain it this way...there is a mountain region furthest west, then a piedmont region, a pine forest region, and then the eastern coastal plain region that leads to the barrier islands. I added the pine forest region which stretches the I-95 corridor through Fayetteville and into Pinehurst because its really not the Piedmont, which has the population centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina