Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times

Advertisements

It's a pretty lame policy, but I understand that they are trying to combat people driving without insurance. It would be better to give someone a 30 day grace period.

If someone moves out of state, you usually switch your insurance policy over, head to the DMV, title/register/obtain your new plate, then remove the NC plate. This is exactly what I did and I never received any fine.

I wonder if people have been fined during the time it took to remove and return the plates to NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 04:15 PM

1,360 posts, read 996,598 times
Maybe it varies by county. My dad lives in Davidson and has a stack of his old plates

Old 12-02-2016, 06:24 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,475,739 times
I moved from W-S to Greenville, SC in 2008. I got a SC plate in early 2009, never returned my NC plate and never heard a word from NC DMV. When I moved back to NC (Avery County) and applied for a new plate in 2013, the old plate was never mentioned.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,276,825 times
Sorry for the length, but I wanted to share how NC dealt with our similar story.

In May this year before we moved from NC to FL, we sold my car. I canceled the insurance the next day. Six weeks later, I get a notice from NC DMV stating my ins. co. has informed them my insurance has ended. Please fill out the form and return within 10 days of the letter (which was delayed when forwarded to FL from our old NC address.) So I check the box that says, This vehicle is no longer in my possession (sold – please provide docs.) Fax that to them along with Bill of Sale, dated the day before Ins. ended. I did not have the old plate in my possession (another story.)

Three weeks later, I get the following: (paraphrased)

“*Important Notice* Your License Plate is Revoked and your vehicle must not be operated. You were recently notified to furnish the Div. with Liability Ins. info;” we are “unable to … process your request due to insufficient info. You must” do one of these: 1) Have my NC Ins. Co. provide a form that there is no lapse of coverage (but the car is SOLD!) 2) If there is a lapse, pay them $50 Civil Penalty. Or 3) Request a hearing to appeal the revocation of the plate, bring proof of insurance.

Where’s the option to tell them there was no lapse because I sold the car the day before the ins. was ended?? And if that were not enough, this:

“*Important Notice* Failure to comply with fees owed to the Div. will be deemed ‘Delinquent’ and a Collection Agency may be contacted” as per NC General Statute.

So I called the NC DMV and they stated they never got my fax. Their advice? Well you can try faxing it again. So here we are in FL, no car, (with “lapsed” NC insurance!) and Mr McCrory’s State of NC threatening us with Collection if we don’t pay them $50.

Talking it over with my wife, we opted to pay the $50 ransom we DID NOT owe NC rather than take a hit on our credit score when we were trying to qualify for a loan for a house. So we paid, hoping to put NC to bed rather than to go in circles again, and got a receipt.

Thought it was over, did we? About a week later, we get the following: “The $50 Civil Penalty has been received by the Div. However, our records do not indicate your vehicle is currently insured.”

Since I still didn’t have the plate in my possession yet, I finally ended up locating and submitting the form that attested I did not have the plate available. That seemed to do it. For now, anyway.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Corvette, that sounds like a nightmare. Did you sell your car private party or at CarMax? I always have the buyer sign a bill of sale. I wonder if providing a signed copy of the bill of sale would have gotten them off your back?

I'm not sure why I never got a nastygram from the state of NC. I changed my insurance from NC to MO a few days before I actually went to the DMV in MO to get new plates. It also took me another week to mail the old plates back. But maybe my insurance company didn't notify the NC DMV until later?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,276,825 times
Long story short, my car broke down while on vacay in PA. So we left it at the dealer and rented a car back to NC. We sold it to the PA dealer "remotely" and they sent us a Bill of Sale, which we faxed to NC DMV. That was the fax they never received. But the plate from the dealer was delayed several weeks (separate long story) so we didn't have it to return to the NC DMV.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Long story short, my car broke down while on vacay in PA. So we left it at the dealer and rented a car back to NC. We sold it to the PA dealer "remotely" and they sent us a Bill of Sale, which we faxed to NC DMV. That was the fax they never received. But the plate from the dealer was delayed several weeks (separate long story) so we didn't have it to return to the NC DMV.
Aaah okay. Next time send it registered mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina