U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM

167 posts, read 854,967 times

Advertisements

I've looked at the crime rates for all the areas I'm interested in (Asheville/Hendersonville, Morganton, Hickory, Mount Airy, Salisbury) but one thing I haven't found is info on drug-related crimes. I know someone who grew up in the Raleigh area and much of her family is still in NC. She said there are some pretty serious drug problems there and that the interstate that runs north and south (I95 I think?) is a major drug corridor, from New York to Miami.
So I'm wondering if and what kind of drug issues the state is dealing with. Here in the midwest, meth is pretty huge... I'm planning to move to NC before the snow falls here again and I'd like to know what to expect.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
I don't know about meth being a problem but here in the eastern part of the state there is marijuana and crack cocaine that seems to dominate the drug busts.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 AM

143 posts, read 443,495 times
I honestly don't think that you will ever completely escape drug-related issues nowadays.
The town we are leaving in NE Mass. is considered pretty upscale, and, over the last three years, we have had two TEACHERS busted for heroin. One of them was "sharing"
You just have to be vigilant and, even then, be prepared to see "things" no matter where you go.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:24 AM

167 posts, read 854,967 times
I totally agree... And since we won't be in a large city I don't know that we'll see much of the effects. But here, in the upper midwest, the drug problems are different I guess. It's in the small towns more than anything, and I'm glad to hear that meth isn't a big thing down there, because it ran like water where I grew up, in West-Central Minnesota, and it made for a pretty bad environment. I would never want to raise kids in that area, for sure.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 PM

110 posts, read 125,960 times
I feel I need to add... I am so glad that there are people who address this head on, instead of ignoring it. Where I am right now outside of Orlando, in an upper income area, one would think that drugs would not be a big problem- after all, its the kids from the "bad" side that use. Honestly, I have seen and heard it all. Would you believe the harder drugs don't come from Orlando, but from Geneva (a tiny little town even further away from Orlando)? I have to say, I'd beware of anywhere where the city officials and the residents make the claim that there is "NO" drug problem. We all know drugs are everywhere. What I would ask the city officials would be, "What is being done about what drugs are in the area?" Who knows, maybe one day they may give a straight answer.
PS: The drugs in Raleigh can't be as bad as here... There are more Rehabs here for teens than you can imagine and the waiting lists are years long. Most of the high risk teens are shipped out to other parts of the state. I can't wait to make the move.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
Stay away from Durham and you won't see any seriously major drug problems.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
I totally agree... And since we won't be in a large city I don't know that we'll see much of the effects... I'm glad to hear that meth isn't a big thing down there, because it ran like water where I grew up..
Eh? Meth has been a very bad problem in NC, mostly centered in the northwestern part of the state: Watauga and Ashe county in particular. Those areas are where a large number of the poor were living (until developers started coming in and touting it as a retirement mecca) and meth - being so easy and cheap to manufacture - was running strong. Since the ingredients: cold medicines, have been restricted, we've seen meth manufacturing drop drastically. The Winston-Salem Journal did a series on it a few years back, and the situation was quite pathetic (and infuriating). People were making the stuff in the kitchen, right where their kids were exposed to it. The police busted the makers several times, only to make a real dent when they finally took the kids away from that environment and stuck their parents in jail, rather than just hand down stiff fines.

I suppose the supply will be refreshed from the mega-labs I read about in Mexico, but at least the local manufacturers have been mostly squashed

Old 04-26-2006, 08:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Stay away from Durham and you won't see any seriously major drug problems.
With due respect, that's a rather short-sighted and perhaps self-serving conclusion to the extent that it excludes all other areas that present a threat of drug abuse crimes and other problems (I'm sure I could find no end of meth labs if I were truly interested). Moreover, the original poster wasn't interested in Durham anyway.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,540 times
I am a NC native and have been for 33 years. I am in the criminal justice program at one of the local colleges in high point, and these are things we discuss daily. You can't compare NC to anything like NY, LA,or even places like Miami FLA. Fact is drugs, suppliers, and dealears are everywhere you turn. The only thing you can do is continue to be proactive, and research whatever area or neighborhood you so desire to move into. Mooresville around Lake Norman is very nice with low criminal activity! Just a suggestion. If that doesn't fit your budget than Denver NC is nice too. Stay away from High Point, Greensboro, Winston Salem, Durham, Albemarle, and definately Charlotte inner city areas.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,064 times
Default Beware of Scam Artist TW Tim Wallace in Denver, NC

I am writing you to warn of a home improvement scam artist based in your area. I have traced him to a trailer house in your area with the help of an investigator. He claims to be licensed EPA Refrigerant for AC Freon purposes and to have an NC Contractors and HVAC License. All are untrue. He also claims to be bonded and insured. He prays on houses about to be sold and can make the repairs a buyers request from the home inspection report.

He ripped me off and I referred him to my neighbor and he ripped them off to and then disappears. He prays on elderly and single-mothers.
He goes by the name TW or Tim Wallace and business name A Better Choice Home Improvement. I have traced many other he has ripped of in Union, Gaston, Lincoln, Mecklenburg and other nearby counties.
I have attached his picture and describe him as 6 feet tall, long hair in a pony-tail, really bad teeth (brown and rotten) and skinny. He is a heavy smoker and is thought to be a drug-user. He is into guns and usually carries a pistol. He usually drives a pickup truck. I have been told he might be a Sex Offender from another State. He lives in a trailor at 6046 LINEBERGER RD, DENVER, NC 28037.

If you have been ripped off by him contact me because we are working with the NC Attorney Generals Office about him on consumer fraud charges.

For more info email me.
Attached Thumbnails
Drug problems in NC-tw.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or