Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:11 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Unless you have some tangible news you'd like to share with us, your statement is more than a little irresponsible for a couple of reasons. While I suspect your motives are like many of us who would like to watch North Carolina prosper economically, I can assure you there are those that would be perfectly happy to see little immediate gain post-HB2 as proof positive that it was never about LGBT rights and everything about the standing in the way of the rest of the Conservative agenda (in other words, playing right into McCrory's game plan).

Secondly, we don't know what the GA will in fact come up with when it's all said and done. Removing the "Bathroom" part of HB2 but leaving intact the limitations of recourse for workers and all the other rights issues that HB2 squarely took aim at would be something of a hollow victory. Speculating that It's all cool now, businesses are on their way with wheelbarrows full of cash!!! fails to address that people were needlessly and deeply hurt by the GA's actions. It also shows some naivety on how these decisions are arrived at in corporate boardrooms. F-500 company's don't decide overnight to stay away from a given location nor they decide overnight to locate or expand in a given location.

Let's try to stay with the facts as they evolve.
This is almost fact. CBJ will have a article on the 30th with major announcements and other job announcements are coming also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
PS - this is the best news we've had in NC in a year. A bad ordinance will disappear, as will the worse law rushed through to override it. As has been noted many times, it would have been nice for Charlotte to acquiesce one of the multiple times they were given before the election, but they did use it as a highly-successful political tool.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm wondering where we're getting this "geopolitical" stuff from all of a sudden. Somewhere, some media person must have used the term in an oft-linked or retweeted article.
Maybe get educated and take a couple geography classes and the term will make sense?

Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
I'm wondering where we're getting this "geopolitical" stuff from all of a sudden. Somewhere, some media person must have used the term in an oft-linked or retweeted article.
Probably evolved from the same world that conjured up term "too PC".

Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
PS - this is the best news we've had in NC in a year. A bad ordinance will disappear, as will the worse law rushed through to override it. As has been noted many times, it would have been nice for Charlotte to acquiesce one of the multiple times they were given before the election, but they did use it as a highly-successful political tool.
Again, it's about time the softball libs grew a pair. I think some of those passive progressives are starting to realize how the game is played...do and say whatever it takes to win, the rules are "there are no rules". Good news nonetheless no matter which side of the aisle.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it was basically saying cities can't pass ordinances regardiing various things that is not within their juridisctiion, such as raising min. wage.
that was part of it.

then their finishing "flourish" was to say "and oh by the way, nobody is allowed to sue for discrimination based on protected class status except at the state level"

Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
This is almost fact. CBJ will have a article on the 30th with major announcements and other job announcements are coming also.
Guess we'll know on the 30th, but until that time it's just speculation and sounds suspiciously like spin.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Maybe get educated and take a couple geography classes and the term will make sense?
I now see you're the same person who's introduced the word twice. I assumed it was someone else who started that topic the other day.

I agree with the other opinion that this is not geopolitical. If you disagree, thank goodness our country's position geopolitically allows us to do exactly that - disagree.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I now see you're the same person who's introduced the word twice. I assumed it was someone else who started that topic the other day.

I agree with the other opinion that this is not geopolitical. If you disagree, thank goodness our country's position geopolitically allows us to do exactly that - disagree.
How about you learn it before you dodge it?

Last edited by Mtnluver8956; 12-19-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No, they "left" because they didn't support the discriminatory aspects of HB2, which will be repealed tomorrow.

The only reason HB2 happened is because the immature jerks who run the General Assembly have to constantly show democrats that theirs is bigger.

McCrory made his bed, he can lie in it.
ok so after months of liberals / Democrats calling McCrory an anti-transgendered bigot, Charlotte votes 10-0 to overturn their transgendered bathroom policy and this does not strike you as odd? By Democrat's past rhetoric on this issue, the Charlotte leaders are now bigots too. So all those events left NC for nothing because there is still no transgendered bathroom policy in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina