Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:12 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times

Advertisements

greenville SC, Hickory NC, Greensboro, Winston Salem, Charlottesville, Roanoke, Asheville

Chattanooga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM

142 posts, read 175,835 times
I feel like Durham checks a lot of your boxes.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
1. What do you mean by "somewhere like Cinci or Chattanooga"? What traits are you using to "define" them?

2. I hope you're aware that the great Smokie Mountains and the beach are about 6 hours apart?

You said you don't care for "small-minded people", but do you realize NC has made national news lately for its ridiculous (editorializing) law HB2 which, among other things, says that people have to use the rest room on their birth certificate? The NC state government, despite recent election of a moderate Democratic governor, i9s VERY hard-core conservative and thus even the cities of NC are subject to some "regressive" laws (again, editorializing). This is not a state you'd move to to get away from "small-minded thinking"--though we'd love to have you here to help vote out those who DO.

You keep saying "the vibe didn't suit me" about different places, but I can't see what kind of vibe WOULD suit you? Again, what traits of Cinci/Chattanooga are you hoping to find? You're more telling us what you want to avoid.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM

181 posts, read 241,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFilmLover1996 View Post
I have heard good things about Richmond. So far, I have narrowed the list down to Hillsborough, Winston-Salem, and Richmond. I have spent a lot of time in the southern part of Virginia (near Lynchburg and Charlottesville). The vibe there didn't send me. The cold, rich, Lily-Pulitzer personality was hollow to me. However, I have heard NoVA is a lot different... although some would call Richmond just a suburb of DC. Thanks again for the advice
Richmond is not in NoVA, nor anything close to a suburb of DC. I'd check it out, it has a lot of that hipster-y sort of vibe you seem to be interested in. Richmond is a city that has much of the infrastructure that you'll see in the major cities of the 20th century, but it hit a serious downturn and a ton of white flight and got left behind. Today, it's rebuilding itself into a city that has tremendous charm.

Also, Cincy and Chattanooga are nothing alike, just saying.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

730 posts, read 775,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You might also like to check out Richmond, VA. Might check some of your boxes.
The same for Greenville, SC. It is an hour south of Asheville.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
The same for Greenville, SC. It is an hour south of Asheville.
Well if the OP thinks his current city of Cincinnati has a "stifling conservative, fundamentalist aura [that] is less than appealing" which is one of the reasons he's checking out other cities, I certainly wouldn't recommend Greenville which is definitely more conservative and fundamentalist than Cincinnati.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,658 times
To be fair, I know there is a difference between Cincinnati and Chattanooga. I was merely using those places as ideas for what I like -- medium(ish) sized city with natural amenities, not too touristy, and a distinct natural flavor (Skyline chili, the craft brews in Chattanooga, etc.). I apologize for being vague but for those who have been to these cities, some may think of some similarities they can find.

You're right, Francois, I am appalled by NC'S HB2 Bill. But I like having a different opinion and being a fierce advocate in places where my opinion isn't often heard (I am not planning on being annoying, by the way, but I will fight for my principles).

These are all great suggestions and I will continue looking further into the cities recommended. Thanks, everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina