Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM

282 posts, read 833,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was at conference over the weekend at Myrtle Beach and I was going thru the snack table and a lady ask me a question and I said No Ma'am and she took offense to it.

She proclaim hey I am not much older than you and I have not even look at her yet.
I do not say yes sir, no ma'am base on age but rather out of politeness no matter how much older or younger you are to me. I told her I am sorry it just my southern ways and left it at that. I am not changing the respectful way I was brought up because someone in insecure with their age.
That ranks right up there with getting smacked for holding the door for a woman. Gotta love that one..... Besides - I hold the door for LOTS of people, some of which happen to be women....Sheesh!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,800,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was at conference over the weekend at Myrtle Beach and I was going thru the snack table and a lady ask me a question and I said No Ma'am and she took offense to it.

She proclaim hey I am not much older than you and I have not even look at her yet.
I do not say yes sir, no ma'am base on age but rather out of politeness no matter how much older or younger you are to me. I told her I am sorry it just my southern ways and left it at that. I am not changing the respectful way I was brought up because someone in insecure with their age.
Sunny... You didn't follow up with, " Bless your heart? "

Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 30,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I use "sir" and "ma'am" all the time to anyone of any race, any position, any occupation and just about any age. It's a habit, but a sincere one. I also say "please" and "thank you" all the time. In my opinion, it's rude not to say these things.
I couldn't agree more. I was raised to say please, thank you, yes ma'am, no sir, etc., and my self-esteem somehow remained intact. IMO, being able to gracefully defer to other people and accommodate them, rather than bullheadedly insisting that your own preferences always come first, is a mark of maturity as well as good manners. If you're still locked in that stage of life where you feel like you have to constantly question the status quo and assert your individuality in every little transaction, you're still an adolescent.

Having a job where I work with the public and come into contact with a lot of teenagers, I actually like being called "ma'am" by one of the kids, because I know it means I have their respect (outwardly, at least). And for anyone who's morbidly thin-skinned about their age (and I say this as someone who's teetering on the edge of middle age herself), daily life is going to be a series of small mortifications and reminders whether or not people "ma'am" or "sir" them. Our souls are immortal; our bodies aren't.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,876,348 times
People older than me say "Yes Ma'am" to me all the time. It's been happening since I was in my 20's. I don't really care, its silly to be offended by it.

What DOES bother me is when complete strangers (usually Southern accented women) say hun, honey, baby, etc to me! I don't know you! This fake sweetness is quite annoying!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM

261 posts, read 1,212,978 times
Smile I just love this thread!

Southern girl here, born and bred in the Carolinas. However, my mom is from Texas. She was very strict about saying sir and ma'am to our elders when my sis and I were growing up.

Fast forward to me at age 20. A retail sales clerk, very close to my age, said thanks and have a nice day ma'am after ringing up my purchase.

I was horrified !!! Remember now that I was taught to use that word as a sign of respect to my elders. All I could think was that I sure must look old. My tail feathers were dragging the ground for a few days after that.

How silly Of course I didn't look old at 20! I started to be amused by my own silliness and started saying ma'am to people of all ages just for amusement. Now 20 something years later, the young ones look surprised and this makes me giggle.

If only I could get carded when I buy liquor, now that would be a real sign of respect

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,340,786 times
My uncle told his kids not to say mam or sir. He says it sounds subsurvient and a simple yes or no will suffice.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
My uncle told his kids not to say mam or sir. He says it sounds subsurvient and a simple yes or no will suffice.
Doesn't sound like he was a southerner

To a southerner addressing our elders this way is the height of respect.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,415,705 times
While I don't think it necessarily sounds subsurvient, I do think there are occasions when the person being addressed is not worthy of the ma'am or sir, and I did direct my own child to respond, respectfully, but that the ma'am or sir was up to her discretion.

Funny that a person might object to being responded to with ma'am or sir -- do they object to other good manners, as in saying "please" and "thank you" too?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,729,083 times
This thread reminds me of a quote from No Country For Old Men from the Tommy Lee Jones character (Ed Tom):

"It starts when you begin to overlook bad manners. Anytime you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am", the end is pretty much in sight. "

The use has always been common courtesy in this state and it's passing is not a good thing.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,341 times
I was born and raised in the south and started wondering, at an early age, why people in the south used those phrases. I know that blacks in the south use it because they were forced to do so during slavery. Many of them contintue to say it because they were taught that it showed respect. I am not certain how it originated but saying a simple yes or no does not show disrepect in my opinion. I am sure that others will have different opinions but that is because of their exposure. If certain things never affected you then your opinion of those things will be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina