Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times

Advertisements

Markets are technically fluid. If viewing habits change, eventually a county will be taken out of one DMA and placed in another. Moore County and I believe Alamance County have gone between Triangle and Triad markets over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Markets are technically fluid. If viewing habits change, eventually a county will be taken out of one DMA and placed in another. Moore County and I believe Alamance County have gone between Triangle and Triad markets over the years.
When I first lived in the Booone area in the 80's and 90's, we had networks from Charlotte, E. TN, and Winston-Salem. WXII in W-S was dropped many years ago. We still get some duplicate network coverage from Charlotte and Tri-Cities (TN) - CBS and NBC.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Channel 7 isn't bad especially in the morning, but Channels 9 and 12 are absolutely terrible.

WRAL is a terrific news product when compared to other local news in the state but it would maybe cover 1 story per month with any substance in eastern NC. They've got Fox 50 in Wilmington, and they cover no Wilmington news at all and just simulcast their Raleigh news out there. Not fair to the people of Wilmington.
Raleigh is spoiled with WRAL. They are constantly on the forefront of the news business. Always adapting new technologies. And now they are in a very favorable position with NBC. Almost no other news station compares in the state.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
WRAL is a terrific news product when compared to other local news in the state but it would maybe cover 1 story per month with any substance in eastern NC. They've got Fox 50 in Wilmington, and they cover no Wilmington news at all and just simulcast their Raleigh news out there. Not fair to the people of Wilmington.
But Wilmington has two other local stations, WECT and WWAY, so they're not hurting for local coverage ability.

We used to watch WECT in Fayetteville as the NBC affiliate.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM

181 posts, read 241,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
But Wilmington has two other local stations, WECT and WWAY, so they're not hurting for local coverage ability.

Oh the stations are there, they're just mediocre at best for a city of Wilmington's size.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Better than the non-stations Fayetteville has!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
There's something similar in Eastern PA, where I grew up. The Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) has a population of 820,000 and is included in the Philadelphia TV market, but is located an hour from Philly.

It's the third largest metro area in PA, but does not have any local NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX, but people living there get those channels from Philly, Scranton/Wilkes Barre (Northeastern PA) and even NYC. It's just one of those "weird" location issues (being an hour from Philly, NYC, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), where it lies on the edge of three different TV markets.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Channel 7 isn't bad especially in the morning, but Channels 9 and 12 are absolutely terrible.

Fox 50 is actually in Raleigh. You're thinking of WILM-TV10, which until January 1st was Wilmingtom's CBS affiliate. The contract expired and CBS gave the affiliation to WWAY to use on a subchannel. No doubt it's retaliation at Capitol for bailing on the network and taking WRAL to NBC.

Wilmington has never had a 3rd news department, only WWAY and WECT. I don't know that they could suppprt a 3rd. WRAL probably simulcasts the Raleigh news for vacationers. I know we usually watch it when down there at the beach.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

WECT used to broadcast analog channel 6 from a tower near Elizabethtown in Bladen County. The digital signal signed on from Wilmington proper, however, and the Bladen county tower was finally demolished. They don't have a signal in Fayetteville anymore and I believe have been dropped from TWC in Cumberland County.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM

I think WECT is still available as a cable channel in Fayetteville: Local TV Listings for Your Favorite Channels and Shows | TWC Central

And this looks like it may be available over the air (no cable): https://nocable.org/availability-rep...ayetteville-nc

I haven't tried it myself in awhile. Maybe one of our Fayetteville posters can verify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina