Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM

734 posts, read 920,400 times

Advertisements

What are the benefits of moving to NC for retirees? Any income or property tax savings?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
If you're retiring from SC, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference. But for people from high COL states, the savings can be substantial! Property taxes are a whole lot cheaper than what I paid in NJ, but NC's income tax rates are higher. Shop for your "retirement state" very carefully! The Devil is in the details!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
If you'll use the "Search" button on the main NC page (in the upper right), you can find tons of threads about retiring in NC.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM

133 posts, read 162,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb29456 View Post
What are the benefits of moving to NC for retirees? Any income or property tax savings?

Thanks.
Benefits for retirees vary WIDELY depending on where you will be getting your income from. Is your income source primarily

Social Security?
Private Pension?
Public Pension?
401K?
Roth IRA?
Traditional IRA?
Corporate Bonds?
Municipal Bonds?
Savings or Checking Account?

Depending on your setup, your situation will vary gigantically. If the bulk of your income will come from Social Security and you and your significant other have very small private income streams limiting your combined income below $29,500, you will see massive tax advantages in NC. NC has a monster deduction of $16,000 for married filers, and you'll have 50% of your home's value deducted for a massive property tax break. NC is a great state for low income seniors with few income streams, and they're even more generous to the military and the disabled.

If you have a lot of money coming in from private pensions, you'll find very few advantages in NC. NC is not a good state to retire in if you are wealthy with many private income streams - contrary to what many believe.

The best states to retire in for the wealthy are states without income tax: TX, FL, WY, WA, SD, TN, NH, NV, AK.

You need to assess your situation individually. This is a good resource, but BEWARE. The info is from 2016, and in 2017 NC's income tax falls to 5.49% and the standard deduction increases to $8,000 single/$16,000 joint.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

Old 01-28-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Benefits for retirees vary WIDELY depending on where you will be getting your income from. Is your income source primarily

Social Security?
Private Pension?
Public Pension?
401K?
Roth IRA?
Traditional IRA?
Corporate Bonds?
Municipal Bonds?
Savings or Checking Account?

Depending on your setup, your situation will vary gigantically. If the bulk of your income will come from Social Security and you and your significant other have very small private income streams limiting your combined income below $29,500, you will see massive tax advantages in NC. NC has a monster deduction of $16,000 for married filers, and you'll have 50% of your home's value deducted for a massive property tax break. NC is a great state for low income seniors with few income streams, and they're even more generous to the military and the disabled.

If you have a lot of money coming in from private pensions, you'll find very few advantages in NC. NC is not a good state to retire in if you are wealthy with many private income streams - contrary to what many believe.

The best states to retire in for the wealthy are states without income tax: TX, FL, WY, WA, SD, TN, NH, NV, AK.

You need to assess your situation individually. This is a good resource, but BEWARE. The info is from 2016, and in 2017 NC's income tax falls to 5.49% and the standard deduction increases to $8,000 single/$16,000 joint.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

I have about $27k between two small pensions. Military and federal civil servant. (FERS). But next year I will have ss coming in but I believe that is tax free. Any tax breaks on Property taxes?

Thanks,

Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
The following link is to the Avery County Tax Office, but the information is relevent statewide. Property Tax Relief, INFORMATION CONCERNING PROPERTY TAX EXCLUSION FOR ELDERLY OR DISABLED

Old 01-29-2017, 08:43 AM

133 posts, read 162,624 times
Quote:
I have about $27k between two small pensions. Military and federal civil servant. (FERS). But next year I will have ss coming in but I believe that is tax free. Any tax breaks on Property taxes?

Thanks,
Under $29,500 combined income with a husband and wife you get a 50% reduction in your assessment to halve your property tax burden.

I know nothing about military or federal pensions. I suggest reading this.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho..._Carolina.html

Old 01-29-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Under $29,500 combined income with a husband and wife you get a 50% reduction in your assessment to halve your property tax burden.

I know nothing about military or federal pensions. I suggest reading this.

North Carolina
I think combined with my social security when I receive it in two years along with military retirement and my small federal pension will be over the $29k threshold so it sounds like we will not be able to get the reduction.

I guess this will be a con in moving to NC.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
I think combined with my social security when I receive it in two years along with military retirement and my small federal pension will be over the $29k threshold so it sounds like we will not be able to get the reduction.

I guess this will be a con in moving to NC.
It's all relative to what you're paying now. Property taxes in NC are significantly lower than in many states, but not all. And just like in SC, if you live inside an incorporated municipality, you pay city & county taxes, whereby if you live in an unicorporated area of a county, you pay pay county taxes only.

And it's wise to evaluate overall tax burden based on your lifestyle and spending habits, not just income & property taxes. A person needs to consider sales tax (food included), taxes on services, etc. to get the full picture.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
It's all relative to what you're paying now. Property taxes in NC are significantly lower than in many states, but not all. And just like in SC, if you live inside an incorporated municipality, you pay city & county taxes, whereby if you live in an unicorporated area of a county, you pay pay county taxes only.

And it's wise to evaluate overall tax burden based on your lifestyle and spending habits, not just income & property taxes. A person needs to consider sales tax (food included), taxes on services, etc. to get the full picture.
Yes we live inside the city limits of North Charleston so we are paying more for property taxes vs just living in the county.

I thinks sales taxes here are cheaper than NC and gas is cheaper here but that will change because they are talking about raising the gas tax to help pay for the improvements of the roads.

I think we are taking a trip to Winterville/Greenville area on Wednesday for a couple of days and then most likely in the Spring to Greensboro. After that we will decide which area is best for us. Any of the areas will definitely cut off driving time to visit family in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina