Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:28 AM

9 posts, read 8,863 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I will try and give as much detail as possible without rambling but would like some advice on Fayetteville NC. I'm currently in WA State but in the line for 2 jobs, one in Greenville SC but the more likely one is in Fayetteville NC. I would prefer the former but at present as the latter is most likely I would like some opinions and advice on the area from people in the know.

The job is located to the South East of the City, about 2 miles South of the Regional Airport and we prefer to live in a rural area (renting initially then buying a homestead type place eventually). I am an engineer and the salary is pretty good and my wife will be looking at teaching/assistant jobs.

So what are the pros and cons of Fayetteville? My wife has a concern with humidity having lived all her life on the dry side of the country. I spent a summer in Knoxville 10 years ago (which I've been told is a similar climate) and don't recall the humidity being stifling so I'm not too concerned, especially as I prefer the heat to the cold. Also, I've been told the heat/humidity is only high for a few months in the summer with the rest of the year being mostly warm and sunny?

I've also heard mixed things about high crime in the city. Is this just like anywhere else where if you avoid the bad parts of ton you'll be fine?

My interests are mainly outdoors so I've heard it is a good area for that too. There are some kart tracks within 3hrs I can race at and my other hobby is watersports, is there much of this in the area?

I think that's about it for now, any pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Fayetteville is much more uncomfortable in the summer than Knoxville. By a lot. It is generally considered to be a somewhat less than desirable place to live in NC.

Here are some existing threads you might want to read through:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...eville-nc.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ille-hate.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...e-nc-area.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...eville-nc.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ood-place.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...est-worst.html

Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Thank you, I'll have a browse through them.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
If you have the possibility of a job in Greenville SC, be patient and wait for that offer to come through - trust me it will be worth the wait. Greenville is leaps and bounds nicer than Fayetteville in pretty much every possible way. Fay is cheap but it's rundown, old, ghetto, crowded, the people are jerks, crime is everywhere the, schools suck hope you aren't planning on sending kids to Cumberland County. Seriously, don't do it.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Fayetteville is not nearly as bad as the previous poster says (look at his record of posting about F'ville) BUT I do agree that Greenville, SC is a FAR better choice. I lived in Greenville, SC for 4 years (2008-12) and would be happy to move back if I had a reason to do so... such as a great job.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Fayetteville is not nearly as bad as the previous poster says (look at his record of posting about F'ville) BUT I do agree that Greenville, SC is a FAR better choice. I lived in Greenville, SC for 4 years (2008-12) and would be happy to move back if I had a reason to do so... such as a great job.
Um no, Fayetteville is as bad as I said, which is why I said it. Derp. He said the salary is pretty good which would help, because I lived in a solid working class neighborhood, so maybe he could afford something nicer, but that doesn't really matter. Fayetteville IS old, rundown, ugly, crime ridden. I'm only being objective, here. Just drive down Bragg Blvd (main drag through town, OP) and see the boarded up buildings, overgrown lots, strip clubs, trailer park motels, pawn shops etc. Or maybe we should tell OP abiut how the Walmart on Skibo Rd (other main drag OP) could no longer operate 24/7 due to the robberes, fights, thugs walking around, panhandlers, etc. Should we mention the robberies that have happened pretty much at every single business in town, or the girl that got raped in the mall? Maybe the night there were 26 home invasions in one night? The rolling shootout down Raeford Rd at 4PM on a Sunday the day before another grocery store shootout? Should we mention the guy that got kidnapped from a gas station om the main road and shot and killed for the paper in his wallet? What about the girl that got randomly shot using an ATM at 8pm? All this is the span of 2 years, with many many many more unmentioned, trust me I could go on and on and on and on. Don't tell anyone I'm lying, that's false and disrespectful - I lived in Fayetteville for 2 very long years and this was my experience.

Sunalready - all you have to do is click the links earlier in this thread, I am FAR from the only person with this opinion/experience. Some people like to pretend Fayetteville is nice or "not really that bad" when in fact it is.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:56 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Fay is cheap but it's rundown, old, ghetto, crowded, the people are jerks, crime is everywhere the, schools suck
Lmao, you just gave an accurate description of Danville!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Lmao, you just gave an accurate description of Danville!
Yup lol Danville is pretty trashy. It also describes South Attleboro MA to a T. Just plain trashy.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
If you have the possibility of a job in Greenville SC, be patient and wait for that offer to come through - trust me it will be worth the wait. Greenville is leaps and bounds nicer than Fayetteville in pretty much every possible way. Fay is cheap but it's rundown, old, ghetto, crowded, the people are jerks, crime is everywhere the, schools suck hope you aren't planning on sending kids to Cumberland County. Seriously, don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Thanks for your posts. I wouldn't intend on living in Fayetteville itself but the job is in South Western part.

Unfortunately, the SC job is far from a certainty and at this point if I get offered the Fayetteville job I'm not sure I can take a gamble on the other coming my way.

I'll have to think.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:14 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
dont listen to lord helmet if you are an outdoorsman you can be pleasantly suprised in fayetville NC and it has all the mod cons. many people live in fayetville it's not fleeing refugees or whatever somehow they make life work there.

It's also on a growth trajectory.

Fayetville's crime profile is no worse than durham and you'll get a lot of kudos and pats on the back here about moving to durham so it is what it is *shrug*

the subtext is fayetville is something of a conservative city so it gets a lot of hate

I'm sure i'm going to my knowledge challenged my mother worked in fayetville 30 years and it was the local city to my small town so i'm very familiar.

Is it as good as greenville? NO

If you're small town/city and rural minded can you be happy there?

ABSOLUTELY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina