Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 AM
kif kif started this thread

27 posts, read 25,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
OP might correct me, but I think that the stereotype of an art dealer sitting on a fainting couch talking to Dr. Niles Crane is probably far outstripped by the number of regular people coming in for family counseling, for treatment of their depression, anxiety, etc...
I suppose it depends on many factors....with insurance being one of them. The majority of clients I see and have seen in the past are not the art dealer stereotype that you mention, even the ones who are in a position to pay out of pocket. This observation is solely based on my experience and others may disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kif View Post
The clinic I work at serves underrepresented and disadvantaged populations. The people I see in my private practice have insurance with the bigger companies, but are not 'rich.' I do see your point though.
Most of the psychologists I know work in social services settings. The state is divided into (I think) 14 regional networks for this. I know you want to do private practice, but if this is where you think you need to be, it would be a foot into a job market (seems like it would be pretty hard to establish business in a new place with NO networking connections, but I don't know). You might check DHHS listings under NC state jobs.
However, NC has as of yet not expanded Medicaid, so a lot of potential Medicaid patients out there are not yet given access.

If indeed you can set up a practice anywhere, you will want to narrow down your search based on which areas you like, which can only be done by taking a trip down and scoping it out, as you've done for Charlotte and the mountains. Spend a few days in Raleigh and Durham (they are two separate cities, I'm sure you know; "Raleigh-Durham" is the airport, not the metro, which is known as "The Triangle") If you're interested in gerontology at all, look at the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area west of Fayetteville--lots of rich retirees there, and FirstHealth hospital has a national reputation.

With growing populations and a MH system that tried to pretend they don't exist, I think your job possibilities are likely as good anywhere (in any state or part of a state) with a solid population with disposable income.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'm sure there are plenty of psychotherapy jobs. You might look into Carolina Partners in Mental Health if they haven't already come across your radar. They're a big statewide outfit, but good people: https://www.carolinapartners.com/

Do you have a specialty? What is your educational background? There are lots of possibilities out there.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Most of the psychologists I know work in social services settings. The state is divided into (I think) 14 regional networks for this. I know you want to do private practice, but if this is where you think you need to be, it would be a foot into a job market (seems like it would be pretty hard to establish business in a new place with NO networking connections, but I don't know). You might check DHHS listings under NC state jobs.
However, NC has as of yet not expanded Medicaid, so a lot of potential Medicaid patients out there are not yet given access.

If indeed you can set up a practice anywhere, you will want to narrow down your search based on which areas you like, which can only be done by taking a trip down and scoping it out, as you've done for Charlotte and the mountains. Spend a few days in Raleigh and Durham (they are two separate cities, I'm sure you know; "Raleigh-Durham" is the airport, not the metro, which is known as "The Triangle") If you're interested in gerontology at all, look at the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area west of Fayetteville--lots of rich retirees there, and FirstHealth hospital has a national reputation.

With growing populations and a MH system that tried to pretend they don't exist, I think your job possibilities are likely as good anywhere (in any state or part of a state) with a solid population with disposable income.

Thanks for the info and input! Most mental health professionals here that I know work in some social service setting or school setting and some of them have a private or group practice. I think my focus, like I said before, is to gain a f/t job somewhere and then open a private practice or join an established group practice.

I think you're right about taking a trip(s) and scoping out areas. I have a feeling that it will be a tough decision to choose where my ultimate place will be b/c I have enjoyed all the places I have seen in NC. I'm thinking a revisit to the mountains, Charlotte, and a visit to the W/S area and R/D area.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of psychotherapy jobs. You might look into Carolina Partners in Mental Health if they haven't already come across your radar. They're a big statewide outfit, but good people: https://www.carolinapartners.com/

Do you have a specialty? What is your educational background? There are lots of possibilities out there.

Thanks! I will check them out. I don't have a specialty yet. I plan to focus on at least one once I establish myself in NC. I have a Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and have my license to practice in NC already. When you say, "There are lots of possibilities out there," by that, do you mean lots of possibilities in NC?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Yes. That's what I meant. I don't know that much about what you can do with a Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling vs a Masters or PhD in Psychology (my sister has a PhD in Psychology and has a clinical practice and teaches at the graduate level), but there are a lot of different specialities for working in the field in general and I think there are a lot of opportunities in North Carolina. I know some folks in our area specialize in treating anxiety and depression and others specialize in educational testing for learning disabilities, etc. My sister used to counsel kids who had been victims of trauma and abuse before going into teaching. The practice she works with now focuses on ADHD, Aspergers, dyslexia, anxiety, depression, and educational testing. Carolina Partners might be a good place to look.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes. That's what I meant. I don't know that much about what you can do with a Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling vs a Masters or PhD in Psychology (my sister has a PhD in Psychology and has a clinical practice and teaches at the graduate level), but there are a lot of different specialities for working in the field in general and I think there are a lot of opportunities in North Carolina. I know some folks in our area specialize in treating anxiety and depression and others specialize in educational testing for learning disabilities, etc. My sister used to counsel kids who had been victims of trauma and abuse before going into teaching. The practice she works with now focuses on ADHD, Aspergers, dyslexia, anxiety, depression, and educational testing. Carolina Partners might be a good place to look.
The primary difference between a doctoral degree and master's in any mental health field is the ability to teach graduate level courses with a doctoral degree. There's much more that can be said about that but that's the primary difference. The master's in CMHC comes with a national accredidation (most do) and gives the ability to practice and diagnose whereas with psychololgy you most likely need a doctoral degree to practice and diagnose. I've heard from people who have a master's in psych that they too can practice and diagnose but the requirements to do that are much more involved than say the accrediated master's in CHMC that I have. My master's allows me to gain licensure, practice, teach undergrad courses, teach some graduate courses in the CACREP accredidation core (such as practicum, supervision, adjunct, etc) bt again, depends on college, licensing boards, and state laws.

Ideally, I would give a thumbs up to a full time job (for example, clinic, teaching, college university, local/state/county/federal level), private practice, and adjunct faculty if not a f/t teaching job. The gears in my mind are guiding me to focus on animal assisted activities/therapy for PTSD and all levels of trauma, as well as anxiety and depression.

Thanks for your feedback and input! It helps.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM

There are definitely some folks who do animal assisted therapy in the area.

I have kids in middle and high school and know a lot of folks who have had educational testing done for their kids.

Probably lots of PTSD opportunities with the military (NC is a big military) state if that's something you're interested in pursuing.

Always lots of people working with folks with anxiety and depression.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kif View Post
I suppose it depends on many factors....with insurance being one of them. The majority of clients I see and have seen in the past are not the art dealer stereotype that you mention, even the ones who are in a position to pay out of pocket. This observation is solely based on my experience and others may disagree.

Lots of cuckoos, druggies and nutjobs in Asheville

Old 02-23-2017, 11:33 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Lots of cuckoos, druggies and nutjobs in Asheville
Much empathy there too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina