U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2006, 10:26 AM

40 posts, read 128,753 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a lot of people in other threads saying not to move to charlotte. What do people think about that? Also, does anyone have insight into Asheville as far as jobs and what its like to live there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 11:03 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity11
I have been seeing a lot of people in other threads saying not to move to charlotte. What do people think about that? Also, does anyone have insight into Asheville as far as jobs and what its like to live there?
I wouldn't say one region or city in NC is better than another since it just depends on your personal priorities. We all have different wants in a hometown and each NC region or city is different in many ways.

For me, the Asheville area meets my requirements even though the city of Asheville does not. The city of Asheville has a population of around 70,000. The climate is relatively cool in the summer and moderate in the winter. It also has a somewhat older population since it is home for many retirees. Employment opportunities depend on the occupation, but generally speaking the larger population centers of the state will have more opportunities to offer such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 128,753 times
Well the one thing I want is to get outta the cold! I do not mind the heat very much. I would not mind missing out on snow, and heavy clothes. We like to be near the city but not right inside it. We like to be in a more scenic area versus where I live now which is just streets filled with Fast food, gas stations, and big stores. I am hoping there is something like that outside the Raleigh area which is my first choice. I would not mind some lakes nearby to visit either. I think Asheville may not meet our needs since being near jobs in engineering for my boyfriend is important. We are in our mid twenties so we want the nice dinners, fun filled weekends, occasional nightlife, but to really get out of the craziness of the city easily!!
also- low crime rate would be nice
Thanks, Dana

Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,777 times
Wink Charleston SC

Have you looked into Charleston SC? The city is vibrant, yet has a small town feel to it. Plenty of beaches on islands nearby, as well as a beautiful waterfront park in downtown. The city also has a marketplace similar to Thaniel Hall in Boston.
[moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 05-05-2006 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM

915 posts, read 2,314,072 times
I live in Asheville and have for four years. It would be difficult for your boyfriend to obtain decent employment. There just are not those types of jobs around here. I'm lucky enough to work for a software company, and probably make more money (and I'm by no means well off) then 90% of the people around here. This area is built on tourism, and those jobs just do not pay very well. It does get cool in the winters here too, it snows relatively often (although we had virtually nothing this winter) and the city basically shuts down when it does. My son has had 10 snow days off from school every year until this past winter. I grew up in Wisconsin and don't think I had 10 snow days total in 12 years of school. There are few plows and salt trucks around here. Housing prices here are through the roof too, my wife and I are moving out of the area when my son graduates high school in a couple years just to be able to afford to buy a better home. You might want to look at Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, home prices are much lower there and the job market will be somewhat better than Asheville.

Last edited by EnglishCream; 05-05-2006 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-05-2006, 01:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,127,563 times
roxors, how difficult would it be to get an elementary school teaching job in or around Asheville? Do they bar "outsiders?"

Old 05-06-2006, 07:11 PM

915 posts, read 2,314,072 times
As far as I know they don't bar outsiders. This area is very progressive and liberal (Asheville itself, not outside of town) and I don't think they would "bar" outsiders.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:56 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
Henderson County Public School Vacancies

http://www.henderson.k12.nc.us/vacancies/cert.html

Hendersonville is 25 miles from Asheville connected by Interstate 26. Henderson County has a population of 96K and Hendersonville is around 12K.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-06-2006 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 05:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,127,563 times
Thank you, mm34b. Your site also made me a gateway to Buncombe Co. school districts.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 70,951 times
Default I Need Info Also!!

We also are relocating to NC from OHIO. And I need any info anyone can give me on a place to live and raise a 9 and 13 yr old. My husband will be working in Fayetteville and is willing to drive 40 mins or so. We came down there this past weekend and couldnt even find a nice rental house in a good school district. Please help!! Trish from Ohio. My email address is anyone has any suggestions trishsharleyd@aol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or