U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 203,374 times

Advertisements

Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base are both located in Fayetteville. I've never been to Fayetteville so can not and will not offer pros and cons. I just know that a lot of people don't want to live amongst larges bases. Do your homework.

This is not to be confused with the military bases at all but Fayetteville has a reputation for having a lot of crime. I have no facts to back this up, it's all second hand so check out crime statistics before you commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 PM

528 posts, read 2,231,697 times
I found this link, it seems to be a chain of ice arenas in NC, they are in Cary, Charlotte, Greensboro, Pineville, and more....so you could call and find out which ones have youth leagues:

http://www.icehouserinks.com/ (broken link)

Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,589 times
Thanks for all the great feedback!

My hockey-playing son is only 6, but he's been playing for 3 years (they start 'em young here is Mass!). He's pretty passionate about the sport, but I have no idea if he will continue with it. He also plays basketball and baseball, and given his fearless attitude, would likely be interested in football. All of this to say, lack of hockey would not be a deal breaker for us. We just want to ease the transition for him as much as possible. Thanks for the links; I will definitely check them out.

As far as living among military bases goes, I am a lifelong Air Force brat, with two active duty parents, so I actually see this as a plus. For me, it would be like coming home!

I've talked to few former North Carolinians around here, and they've recommended Hope Mills, Pinehurst, Florence and Aberdeen as possible candidates. Any thoughts? As you all can probably guess, we don't have much going on in our lives besides transporting kids to sports practices/games, so access to entertainment isn't much of a concern.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 AM

45 posts, read 203,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designingmama
Thanks for all the great feedback!

As far as living among military bases goes, I am a lifelong Air Force brat, with two active duty parents, so I actually see this as a plus. For me, it would be like coming home!

That's great. I don't have a problem with them either. I love the military. I just wanted to extend the info in case you didn't want to be located so near a base.

My Dad was stationed at Cherry Point and I love to go there and visit the base. I love being around the military.

Last edited by NCKatie; 04-26-2006 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,406,709 times
Red face You lucky Dog!

[quote=designingmama]Thanks for all the great feedback!

All of this to say, lack of hockey would not be a deal breaker for us. QUOTE]

It sure would have been for us!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
By no means am I trying to talk you out of the area. I will be honest with what I know, good and bad. Towards the eastern parts of the state it is less populated, and some counites are rather poor.

Hockey has never been popular here, or the South in general. There are some fans out there I guess but I dont know any. In fact my HS (graduated in 2000) didnt even have a soccer team til after I graduated.

I was stationed on Camp Lejuene in Jacksonville NC. There are alot of small towns out east but it is very rural still. You are looking in the right area for cheap land and less traffic though. You arent in the sticks but you have to drive a little for entertainment.

Greene County in the east where I live would have to have more money than it does for us to even be considered poor. The biggest asset we have are the people. But I have tried living in other areas of the state and I always came back home. Even my husband who thought I was nuts to want to come back here is more into the place than I ever imagined he could be. He knows more people than I do now. LOL
But he is out in the public a lot and I stay home a lot.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
Default Hope Mills

We are thinking of moving to Hope Mills in October but I haven't been able to find much information about it. I see the schools are decent but is it a nice place to live?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
I was about to say, I don't know where on earth in North Carolina you would go to get hockey as a sport. I didn't even know hockey exsisted until I was 20 or so.

Have you never heard of the Carolina Hurricanes???? They won the Stanley Cup this year! They are in Raleigh. In Charlotte we have the Charlotte Checkers. Hockey has been growing in this state for 20 years. In Pineville kids play at the Ice House.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM

40 posts, read 146,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designingmama View Post
I've talked to few former North Carolinians around here, and they've recommended Hope Mills, Pinehurst, Florence and Aberdeen as possible candidates. Any thoughts? As you all can probably guess, we don't have much going on in our lives besides transporting kids to sports practices/games, so access to entertainment isn't much of a concern.

Pinehurst/Aberdeen/Southern Pines are all part of the Sandhills region of the state. The Sandhills are in south-central NC; about 40 minutes west of Fayetteville. Lots of old wealthy retirees, golf courses, hilly yet sandy terrain, pine trees. It is a beautiful area and strangely looks "coastal". It is a very resort-like area......you will feel like you are on vacation all the time if you live there. But it does tend to be expensive. And I have to admit that the old transplants over there actually take very good care of the place........not much strip mall development, and everything looks manicured.

Don't know anything about Florence. The only thing I know about Hope Mills is that it is a south Fayetteville suburb. Fayetteville is still a "dark horse" city like Durham...known for ugly areas and crime. But like Durham, Fayetteville is cleaning itself up and revitalizing it's downtown area. Plus, Fayetteville has the Cape Fear River close to downtown.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM

110 posts, read 365,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you never heard of the Carolina Hurricanes???? They won the Stanley Cup this year! They are in Raleigh. In Charlotte we have the Charlotte Checkers. Hockey has been growing in this state for 20 years. In Pineville kids play at the Ice House.
No offense, but I didnt even hear anyone I know say anything about the Hurricanes winning the Stanley cup. I guess near Raleigh you may have heard more about it because they are from that area (I think). Hockey is just not a big sport here. Thats a fact. About as popular as a croquet game.

The Carolina Panthers are the most popular team here. Win or lose. Which ofcourse means the NFL. It takes over all other sports including NASCAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina