U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,047,111 times

Advertisements

One would think that researching a new state to live in, would include getting an idea about the economy. Here in Colorado, we're putting up a great smile and doing our best to make things look fine, but our economy is pretty weak. And it has been for the last 4 or 5 years. In fact, Colorado has the highest rate of home foreclosures in the country.

So what are people's impression of the NC economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,689,105 times
Good. Unemployment for March 2006 was 4.5%.

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.NC.htm

Last edited by mm34b; 04-25-2006 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,914,015 times
Ther are two North Carolina's.... one is probably the poorest state in the country, one has one of the most high-tech booming economies. The "old NC" can still be found in most of the rural counties. The textile industry was king in NC until the 80's and is THE fastest depleating industry in America. That tends to be the rural central/western areas. Greensboro is doing quite well, but because of it's long history as a textile town, isn't doing quite as well as Charlotte and Raleigh. Wake county is very high tech and has a booming economy.... but pardon me for saying. Eventhough I don't like living in the "new NC", and I probably wouldn't want to live in the "old NC".... I think that the old NC has more charecter and community. Colorado has economic problems? I wouldn't have thought that. Most states out west are doing fairly well and Denver is growing like a weed isn't it?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Unemployment Rates in NC

Asheville, NC - 4.3%
Burlington, NC - 5.6%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-5%
Durham, NC - 4.1%
Fayetteville, NC - 5.7%
Goldsboro, NC - 5.3%
Greensboro-High Point, NC - 5.1%
Greenville, NC - 5.2%
Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC - 6.4%
Jacksonville, NC - 5.1%
Raleigh-Cary, NC - 3.8%
Rocky Mount, NC - 6.9%
Wilmington, NC -4.1%
Winston-Salem, NC - 4.6%

Only Asheville, Wilmington, Raleigh-Cary, and Durham have rates below the state-wide average.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-25-2006 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM

States with a higher percentage of residents living in poverty than North Carolina.

AL
AZ
AR
DC
KY
LA
MS
MT
NM
OK
SC
TX
WV

Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
The textile industry was king in NC until the 80's and is THE fastest depleating industry in America.
Don't forget the furniture industry Cheap imports from places like China are causing the furniture factories to become ghost buildings as well. And while High Point and Hickory once hosted the country's largest furniture expos, Las Vegas is now taking away much of the furniture convention business from those cities.

Bright note: Kannapolis, once a textile giant with Cannon Mills, is being reborn as a biotechnology center
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_n15758646
And Salisbury is trying to entice like-minded industries to their area. I'm glad to see other towns besides Charlotte and Raleigh attract techno-industries. The lesser-known areas deserve some notice, too.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,384 times
Default silverwing

Silverwing - although the new Vegas market is very strong, there is still a very strong presence with the High Point market - it is still much larger than the one in Vegas.

Also, some companies are still making lots money in furniture and textiles, although it is true that many are struggling or have already closed shop.

As for the "poorest state in the country" that was mentioned in another post, I disagree with that assertion. There are indeed some counties with a lot of poverty, but those tend to be the ones in the extreme edges of the state that are far away from any large town or a city. You will also find pockets of poverty in the cities and neighboring rural counties, but many of the traditionally rural counties are turning into suburbs or are at least benefitting from the economies of nearby metro areas.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 AM

192 posts, read 593,716 times
[quote]There are indeed some counties with a lot of poverty, but those tend to be the ones in the extreme edges of the state that are far away from any large town or a city. You will also find pockets of poverty in the cities and neighboring rural counties, but many of the traditionally rural counties are turning into suburbs or are at least benefitting from the economies of nearby metro areas.[quote]

JAS, perhaps your statements apply to the western half of the state, where you reside, but I do not think your statements accurately apply to the eastern half of the state, where I reside.

The entire eastern half of the state, stricken with high poverty levels, (with the exception of a few cities), could hardly be called the "extreme edge" & many are "far away from large towns or cities". Raleigh is the closest "metro city", to the entire eastern half of the state...not very nearby to most. If you chose Hyde county, as a midpoint of the extreme eastern edge (and I mean the mainland, not the outer banks), Raleigh is a 4 hour + trip. There a lot in between! The entire Coastal Plain. "Many of the rural counties" are not "turning into suburbs" or "benefiting from a nearby metro area" here.

Here are some excerpts from an article I googled up, that might help illustrate my point...

Quote:
This may not come as a great surprise to many North Carolinians who live east of Interstate 95, but high poverty levels apparently are more of an endemic problem in rural and coastal North Carolina than in some other areas of the state, excluding anomalous pockets of metropolitan growth.
Quote:
By analyzing U.S. Census Bureau information spanning the 30-year period from 1970 through 2000, the professor found that 90 percent of the 41 counties in Eastern North Carolina traditionally suffer from a poverty rate above the state average.
Quote:
Most of the region's counties have poverty rates of 15 to 24 percent...Statewide, the average among all counties was 12.3 percent.
Th
Quote:
ough the Coastal Plain, Piedmont and the mountains all have reduced their poverty rates during the past three decades, eastern counties have experienced difficulties reaching the state average
[QUOTE ]...local leaders, lawmakers and community members need to understand that income gaps exist between area residents and their counterparts in other regions...[quote]

Here's the URL for the whole article which appeared in the Washington Daily News, titled "ECU planner notes poverty in Eastern NC":

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:fm770DSK5nAJ:www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/news/inthenews/archives/2005/05/052605wubnehpovertycensus.cfm+counties+NC+%22pover ty+level%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10 (broken link)

Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,384 times
Default luckydog

Luckydog - I agree that there is a lot of poverty in the eastern half of the state, but that represents a relatively small part of the state's population since few people live there given the area of land we're talking about.

Besides, the word "poverty" is extremely subjective.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:15 AM

192 posts, read 593,716 times
Quote:
Luckydog - I agree that there is a lot of poverty in the eastern half of the state, but that represents a relatively small part of the state's population since few people live there given the area of land we're talking about.
Whoa. So you decided to leave out an entire geographical region of the state??? I'm just pointing that fact out to others. I think there is an irony here in you mentioning being subjective.

It might represent a relatively small part of the state's overall population, but it represents an entire third of the state's land mass. It represents 41 of the state's 100 counties. It represents a significant portion of the economy in NC, which is what the original poster is inquiring about. You may find all of that insignificant, but I doubt others will agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or