Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times

Advertisements

I don't consider that a bad thing at all but what do you think?

Will the triad ever distinguish itself from the triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
"Is the Triad just the Triangle 10 years behind"? No, they are very different areas. They're never going to be the same. And that's ok, there's no reason they should be the same.

"Will the Triad ever distinguish itself from the Triangle"? It already has. The Triad has its own identity, always has, always will.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
"Is the Triad just the Triangle 10 years behind"? No, they are very different areas. They're never going to be the same. And that's ok, there's no reason they should be the same.

"Will the Triad ever distinguish itself from the Triangle"? It already has. The Triad has its own identity, always has, always will.
What? "Ex furniture hub" "ex tobacco hub"

No doubt they are nice places I like the triad a lot but it's really silly I think to act like the triad has the same kind of forward momentum the triangle does

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I like the triad a lot but...
but nothing.

Quote:
it's really silly I think to act like the triad has the same kind of forward momentum the triangle does
Who does that?

You say all that as though it's a some sort of default/good thing to be like the triangle.
It isn't. Really. Or Charlotte ftm.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

"Very" different? I know it's relative but the Triangle is probably more similar to the Triad than any other metro in the country.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
No doubt they are nice places I like the triad a lot but it's really silly I think to act like the triad has the same kind of forward momentum the triangle does
??? I didn't say it did. And its also silly to think that the only possible future for the Triad is to somehow be just like the Triangle, which is simply not possible. All metros are inherently different.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Very" different? I know it's relative but the Triangle is probably more similar to the Triad than any other metro in the country.
Well sure! They're both NC areas. The Triangle is also more similar to Charlotte than most other metros.

When I think of the Triad I do think of industry. In addition to furniture (which is still a going concern) and RJR (also still in Winston, isn't it?) there is a lot of other industry in the Triad like aircraft.

If you look at the data here on City-Data and compare Greensboro to Raleigh you can see that manufacturing is much higher in Gboro (15%) compared to Raleigh (8%). The biggest employment sector in Raleigh is professional, scientific, technical at 16%. That sector does not even register on C-D's graph for common industries in Greensboro. http://www.city-data.com/city/Greens...-Carolina.html and http://www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

You can also compare here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greens...rolina#Economy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleig...rolina#Economy

Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
OP, you're creating some sort of faux competition that doesn't exist or need to exist. How pointless! There is value in each region of the state, and no need to aspire to want to be "like" another region.

And you are somewhat out of touch or clueless to think of the Triad only in terms of "ex's." Among the significant growth "industries" in the Triad are health care and medical research.

The whole premise of this thread is passive/aggressive hostile and demeaning to the Triad, and I, for one, don't appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
OP, you're creating some sort of faux competition that doesn't exist or need to exist. How pointless! There is value in each region of the state, and no need to aspire to want to be "like" another region.

And you are somewhat out of touch or clueless to think of the Triad only in terms of "ex's." Among the significant growth "industries" in the Triad are health care and medical research.

The whole premise of this thread is passive/aggressive hostile and demeaning to the Triad, and I, for one, don't appreciate it.
Amen!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post

uh sorry you feel that way as I said I like the triad I would like to live in Greensboro instead of the triangle I spend a lot of time there

but i don't think there is really a single metric the triad beats the triangle on. The triangle objectively has more health care and medical research than the triad so on that metric alone it's a laggard.

I just dont see the economic drivers there and no one can seriously act like the triad is as good for jobs as the triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina