Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times

Advertisements

@Naacp. Stands against the #HB2 compromise
NAACP | The NAACP Statement on the North Carolina Legislature @CornellWBrooks https://twitter.com/ncnaacp/status/847530821242294272
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Unbelievable...

Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The Human Rights Campaign, Equality NC, and the ACLU are against the compromise. They may have legit concerns, but they're also pretty dense if they think the deal is going to get any better as long as the GOP controls the General Assembly. The alternative is to leave HB2 intact.

Accept the compromise or leave HB2 intact...the decision seems like a no-brainer to me.
it was, except for the Don Quixotes on the "far left".

Federal law doesn't give a lot of protection based on sexual preference or gender identity right now. The fight is with the feds, not the states who choose to not go above federal authority on this.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Since I don't actually live in Charlotte, I usually refrain from commenting about her, but she must be out of her mind. When the whole stink started it came out that she didn't have lawyers draw up her ordinance. It's on her. I don't know where she's coming from. Did she think that she could dust off her ordinance & get it passed again?
from someone I know in CLT, she's definitely not in touch with the reality of governance and politics, among other things.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A lot of outrage against Cooper from Democrats, progressives, millenials, and LGBT who feel he sold out by agreeing to preclude local LGBT antidiscrimination protections until 2020. NC law is still just as backward and bigoted AS IT WAS IN 2014 ALONG WITH MOST OF THE UNITED STATES, but back then nobody protested
what they precluded was local laws/ordinances exceeding the state constitution.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Good news, IMO. If the ACC is satisfied, chances are the NCAA will be too. Think domino effect.
the NCAA will do whatever UNC-CH tells them to.

sorry, couldn't help myself

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Think it is HILARIOUS that the hard core left is angry, and the hard core right is angry. At the same time, about the same thing. Sounds like a perfect compromise.

Actually it sounds like a "reset" to early fall 2016, with a huge difference. Massively greater empathy from near everyone on trans discrimination. That has got to be a net positive.
very true. as I tweeted - therefore, it must be both important and true! - any law that's a compromise yet angers those on the far reaches of each side might be a pretty good law.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the NCAA will do whatever UNC-CH tells them to.

sorry, couldn't help myself
In this case thank Gawd UNC is a power broker (NCAA cash cow) and this albatross is history. I guess ole Jen had to keep face by aligning with the extreme left, just shaddup already. I'm all for TG rights but the GA is totally controlled by the GOP. Elections have consequences so the choices are to either vote 'em out or sulk.

This isn't the end of the story, it' be back in 5-10-15 years, people "evolve" on issues and this too will take time. Historically most social transformations have to overcome the "fear" inertia, change comes hard, people are genuinely afraid of the unknown.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it was, except for the Don Quixotes on the "far left".

Federal law doesn't give a lot of protection based on sexual preference or gender identity right now. The fight is with the feds, not the states who choose to not go above federal authority on this.
I think its very important to keep NC law (and especially local law) consistent with Federal law on this. Most large employers are multi-state. Its very difficult for companies to comply when something is regulated by 50 different state laws. Once something is subject to 50,000 different municipal jurisdictions, compliance becomes impossible. The ban on municipalities setting their own laws discrimination ordnances should be permanent, not because anyone wants to discriminate, but because it is necessary for businesses to remain in compliance.

I also think the fact that the extremes on both side are upset is positive. Lets start talking about the 80% in the middle that benefit.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
NCAA response so far:

NCAA mulls response to N.C. lawmakers' vote to repeal 'bathroom bill' before deadline | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Quote:
North Carolina lawmakers believe they've done what was necessary for the NCAA, NBA and other leagues to keep marquee sporting events in the Tar Heel State.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said Thursday he is pleased that progress has been made, but will let the NCAA board of governors have the final say with a decision to come in the "next several days."

"The politics of this in North Carolina are obviously very, very difficult," Emmert said. "But they have passed a bill now and it will be a great opportunity for our board to sit and debate and discuss it."

Cooper said he has had "a lot of contact" with NCAA officials and believes the partial repeal will be enough to satisfy their concerns. The NCAA had a list of certain criteria that had to be met to lift the ban.

"I believe sports are coming back," Cooper said during his press conference to announce the repeal. "This was the best deal we could get. It wasn't a perfect deal or my preferred solution, but an important first step for our state.

"This was not about sports or businesses. It was about discrimination. And it was about North Carolina's reputation."

During Emmert's annual media address, the NCAA president said he would defer to the NCAA's board of governors. Emmert added that he does not believe the NCAA should dictate to states what their laws should be, but wants sites that have an environment that supports the NCAA.

"The board of governors have to determine whether this bill that was passed today was a sufficient change in the law," Emmert said Thursday at the site of this year's Final Four in Glendale, Ariz. "I'm personally very pleased they have a bill to debate and discuss.

"Everybody loves being in North Carolina for our games. It's a state, obviously, that in many ways is synonymous with college sports. They are great hosts. Nobody made the decision to leave North Carolina casually. It was a very, very difficult decision for the board to make, and I'm sure the next decision will be very difficult as well."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina