U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:30 PM

348 posts, read 317,773 times

Advertisements

This car tax that you all are talking about is because there are virtually no road tolls. So, instead of us having to stop every 14 minutes in a traffic pit to pay a lousy toll, we pay upfront in this manner. Having spent years on toll lines in NY/NJ--this is a much saner/smarter thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
This car tax that you all are talking about is because there are virtually no road tolls. So, instead of us having to stop every 14 minutes in a traffic pit to pay a lousy toll, we pay upfront in this manner. Having spent years on toll lines in NY/NJ--this is a much saner/smarter thing.

Amen to that. I'm not opposed to tolls or taxes actually, it pays for roads, schools, police, etc. It's when you've paid for the same road a zillion times over and the guy taking the toll has a pension plan...sorry 14 years of the BIG DIG coming out a bit...

Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,287,194 times
Quote:
This car tax that you all are talking about is because there are virtually no road tolls.
Road Tolls? For years that was a foreign concept to me because there was a State tax on fuel. Fuel taxes were put in place to pay for the roads and anything else is just double taxation.

Then someone decided to put a specific toll in place with the promise to stop it once the specific road cost was recouped. I've read of that position a variety of times on a variety of roads. However, it never ended. Once the government gets it's hands on a revenue source, it's impossible to get it to release its grip and the people get accustomed to getting slapped in the face over the years as they pass the toll booth.

IMO if the state is going to tax for roadways via tolls, take the fuel tax away. The other option is to leave the fuel tax alone and don't add tolls to the roads. If both are left in place, you're paying twice for the same asset.

Hopefully, the State can remain without a double taxation issue. However, with all of the migration into the State from the Northeast, where toll roads are the most common, there's the threat that a toll road complacancy and willingness to tax will be brought with them and things will change.

If what was last described occurs, do you think the entry fee on the car will change? That's really a rhetorical question since it will probably remain too, increasing the tax burden even more. I don't look forward to it. There's something about toll roads, double taxation, and excessive tax burdens that simply rubs me ther wrong way . . . can't you tell.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,035 times
Oh goosh.I am planning to be in NC by spring.The IT jobs I am told give preference to local candidates. Is that true?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruan View Post
Oh goosh.I am planning to be in NC by spring.The IT jobs I am told give preference to local candidates. Is that true?
I hope not, my husband is in IT and we thought the same thing..he is in touch with a few recruiters and they have quite a few things for him for after the new year..so we are keeping your fingers crossed....

Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,344,374 times
From the coast of North carolina-WELCOME!!

Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 AM

480 posts, read 2,642,506 times
Use caution. Recruiters are great at telling you how great things are. They have jobs one minute, then the next minute, you don't hear from them. It's better to have a job before you move.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 AM

480 posts, read 2,642,506 times
Toll roads usually go quickly, especially if you have easy-pass.

Paying a car tax up front for a road you may never travel on is not smart or sane. Do they also charge sales tax on purchases you don't make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post

Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 44,284 times
I jusgt bought a home in Winston-Salem and yes this state Rocks; and the best thing is the friendliness of thier people. I hope to become one of them one day. I am still an ugly New Yorker but getting Better!

With reference to the Property tax on cars; what happens when you lease a car?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,631,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGays View Post
I jusgt bought a home in Winston-Salem and yes this state Rocks; and the best thing is the friendliness of thier people. I hope to become one of them one day. I am still an ugly New Yorker but getting Better!

With reference to the Property tax on cars; what happens when you lease a car?
The owner, as indicated on the vehicle title, would be liable for payment of property taxes on their motor vehicles, but you can bet that's taken into consideration in determining your lease payment amount. Same deal if you were renting a home. You don't own it, you don't pay it, at least directly, but you'll need to check the fine print in the specific lease agreement to avoid surprises. Not all leases are created equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or