U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 AM

104 posts, read 542,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Don't worry about us -- we're fleeing the PC Blue-state world willingly!
Hopefully, one day we will become a Blue state.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Personally, I think that to contemplate a move like this shows that you're intelligent enough to plan for your future. For a lot of us, living in the north and having a big house, car, etc means making big $$. To make big $$ you have to work long hours, long commutes, higher costs for everything. I look at the quality of my life as just okay. I work for everyone else. I spend more time commuting than I spend with my kids.
Contemplating a move doesns't necessarily show either intelligence or forethought. At least that's not what our Social Services say. Many people move here grasping at straws with no jobs, no money and no place to stay. Even some welfare recipients move (interesting) and expect the welcome mat. So, moving, like everything else has all types involved. It seems that almost everyone who comes here thinks one half of the household should sell real estate. I for one think you have to know something about the real estate in the area before you can effectively sell it. Many try to sell it before they know their way across town. That is not the way to do it.

As for life style, that is an entirely different issue. I too live in a huge house on over a half acre of land in a great community for which we both worked hard and I added an inheritance. So, lifestyles vary in all communities. My husband commutes almost an hour each way and that is a modest commute due to our ungodly traffic we endure.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 AM

543 posts, read 1,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Contemplating a move doesns't necessarily show either intelligence or forethought. At least that's not what our Social Services say. Many people move here grasping at straws with no jobs, no money and no place to stay. Even some welfare recipients move (interesting) and expect the welcome mat.
This applies to almost any state. There are jobless, homeless, welfare recipients everywhere. Some are deserving, others are not.

From the conversations on here it doesn't look like this is the group that is moving with no place to go and looking to get on the welfare roles so I'd say that we're in the intelligent, forethought bearing group.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 AM

110 posts, read 365,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Hopefully, one day we will become a Blue state.

I highly doubt that. I think that is one of the main reasons people are leaving the high taxed, overcrowded, politically correct, union controlled, toll roads everywhere, liberal north.

People are tired of living like that and want a change.

Im inclined to believe alot of the people moving here are atleast more Republican leaning than anything.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,448,975 times
"NC is headed in the same path as NY, CA, and FL".

I think that all depends on whether the state will allow that to happen. What I mean is that it will get crowded, yes. However, I don't believe that the state (or even just the Charlotte area) would allow the area to get out of control. But with many moving down, the economy has gotten much stronger and will continue to be. I can't speak for other northerners, but if I'm expecting to follow the laws that are dictated in NC and the rules and regulations in the Charlotte area, then I don't see how others would expect anything different than that. If people move south to Florida, they can expect that it's going to be much hotter than it is up north and are willing to accept that. If I'm moving to NC, I'm going to expect the laws and guidelines to be different, and I am willing to accept that. I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just giving my own personal opinon and feelings.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Angry Hum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
Im inclined to believe alot of the people moving here are atleast more Republican leaning than anything.
I hope not. That would be tragic and I'm a native.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:57 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,229,339 times
Carolina Girl,

Maybe you need to move out to CA for a while and find out what a real “blue run” state is like. It wont take long and you will appreciate what you have and you will never wish you were in a blue state again.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:38 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
I'm not sure if you are aware of this.... but NC is in all reality, a blue state. NC has a Democratic governer and a democratic controlled state senate. All of the major cities have democratic mayors as well (in contrast New York State has a republican governer, a republican controlled state senate, and the mayor of NYC is a republican). They just vote the other way in national elections for whatever reason. The "solid south" is still alive in all levels of government except for when it comes to presidential elections.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,229,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I'm not sure if you are aware of this.... but NC is in all reality, a blue state. NC has a Democratic governer and a democratic controlled state senate. All of the major cities have democratic mayors as well (in contrast New York State has a republican governer, a republican controlled state senate, and the mayor of NYC is a republican). They just vote the other way in national elections for whatever reason. The "solid south" is still alive in all levels of government except for when it comes to presidential elections.
Allow me to clearify. To me the term “blue run” means “ultra liberal democrat”.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Allow me to clearify. To me the term “blue run” means “ultra liberal democrat”.
Color me purple then. I wouldn't mind "fiscally conservative/socially moderate", as in "quit hiking my taxes and spending my hard-earned money, and stay out of peoples' personal lives." Everytime someone around here says "gay" or "abortion/sex/lottery", it brings the howlers out of the woodwork who think the world is going to h*ll And this morning I read the county I live in is proposing to hike property taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or