U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Reputation: 3808

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I'm not sure if you are aware of this.... but NC is in all reality, a blue state. NC has a Democratic governer and a democratic controlled state senate. All of the major cities have democratic mayors as well (in contrast New York State has a republican governer, a republican controlled state senate, and the mayor of NYC is a republican). They just vote the other way in national elections for whatever reason. The "solid south" is still alive in all levels of government except for when it comes to presidential elections.
I kind of agree, but a better analogy would be conservative (Red State) vs. liberal (Blue State). Party affiliations don't really work here, ideologies do. Generally speaking, a North Carolina Democrat is not the same as a Blue State Democrat. The NC Democrat tends to be much more conservative than the national party as a whole on many hot-button issues such as abortion, gun control, taxes and homosexual rights.

Over the past 13 Presidential elections, NC went with Mainstream America almost 80% of the time.

NC Votes

1956 - Stevenson
1960 - Kennedy
1964 - Johnson
1968 - Nixon
1972 - Nixon
1976 - Carter
1980 - Reagan
1984 - Reagan
1988 - Bush
1992 - Bush
1996 - Dole
2000 - Bush
2004 - Bush

The further the current Democratic Party goes to the left, the more solid the South becomes. No political party can write-off the South and expect to win the White House anymore. Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter understood that they had to at least win a few southern states to be elected. Putting a Southerner on the ticket is not enough to win. Al Gore and John Edwards couldn't even carry their own home states. Ignoring the interests of the southern region is a huge mistake for either party.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-05-2006 at 12:22 PM..

 
Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 PM
 
16 posts, read 67,958 times
Reputation: 68
To RedNC and Carolina girl-

Red, you are so right! Carolina girl, come stay with me here in CA and see what the PC liberals have done! This place is like being on another planet. I had originally intended moving to NC from CT last Nov., (long story), but it is official this morning, I am moving to NC the early part of June. I have a place to move to and friends and will buy a house later this year. I feel totally comfortable there and assimilate right in, unlike here in CA.
Red- check your private messages. L
 
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Monroe
110 posts, read 365,475 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I'm not sure if you are aware of this.... but NC is in all reality, a blue state. NC has a Democratic governer and a democratic controlled state senate. All of the major cities have democratic mayors as well (in contrast New York State has a republican governer, a republican controlled state senate, and the mayor of NYC is a republican). They just vote the other way in national elections for whatever reason. The "solid south" is still alive in all levels of government except for when it comes to presidential elections.

Your wrong there. Democrat here is alot different than a Democrat up north. A NC Democrat is equal to a NY Republican.

Most of the people who do vote Democrat here are the older residents who still think the Dems are the same as the "Dixiecrats" 40 or 50 years ago.

Yaeh, we have die-hard liberals here, but most are few and far between compared to anywhere else.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
2,290 posts, read 5,043,205 times
Reputation: 786
Well, the more I read locals' perspectives, the more critical I become about the pros and cons of relocating to NC.

There are plenty of pros:
*great people
*desirable weather (I like humidity)
*a slightly slower pace
*affordable

And there are plenty of cons:
*ignorant people
*bugs
*suburban flight (locals as well as transplants)
*persistent bigotry

It's important to be able to acknowledge these things, if for no other reason, than to be better for it. If you believe that the confederate flag represents honor and a struggle for independence ... OK. But also know that it honors the struggle to retain the rights to bondage and Jim Crow.

Sure, we're all modern and enlightened people today. We no longer accept a divided and exclusionary society as the American way of life. But we also need to be intellectually honest with one another. I don't wanna live by you ... we don't want our kids going to school there ... you're not as Christian as me ... are often sentiments that go unsaid with our voices, but are ratified by our actions.

There's more pro and con to be sure. But a little more honesty would go a long way.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Monroe
110 posts, read 365,475 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Color me purple then. I wouldn't mind "fiscally conservative/socially moderate", as in "quit hiking my taxes and spending my hard-earned money, and stay out of peoples' personal lives." Everytime someone around here says "gay" or "abortion/sex/lottery", it brings the howlers out of the woodwork who think the world is going to h*ll And this morning I read the county I live in is proposing to hike property taxes

And you think conservatives are to blame for this??

What about the 3 cent gas tax increase the DEMOCRATS passed recently??

What about the NC House speaker Jim Black (democrat) who has been called upon to resign by his own party for corruption?? Do you want to get into a discussion of the trick the Democrats here pulled to pass the lottery?

And finally, I suppose those who still have an ounce of morality in their souls are just lunatics right? "Normal" people would be those who are gay, have abortions, and play the lottery.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
 
16 posts, read 67,958 times
Reputation: 68
Talking Hey Backfist

You would feel right at home here in California!
 
Old 05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,873,994 times
Reputation: 946
NCtarheel - I don't think you should be bringing "morality" into this forum. Nor should you be bringing the word "normal" into it. Because someone chooses a certain lifestyle, they should not be labeled normal or abnormal. I am not gay, I'm pro-choice for myself (and hope that my children will be) and I'm not a big gambler, although I've done it. But that does not make me normal or abnormal. Although I am "against" those things for my lifestyle, I do not hold others' lifestyle decisions against them. That is not being liberal, that is minding my own business and respecting the rights of others. Can you honestly tell me that if one of your children (if you have any) had an abortion or was gay, that you would stop loving him/her? You cannot escape it. Maybe it wasn't like that years ago, but then again, I'm sure people were homosexual or having abortions, but out of fear they kept it "in the closet". I don't believe it should be as publicized as it is, with parades and all, but then again that's because I don't go marching in straight parades either. Just because I'm not gay doesn't mean my husband and I should be making out on the street corner claiming "straight rights". Everyone should be whatever they feel comfortable with...without having to make it into a statement. But for you to think that it's wrong or should be prevented in certain places, that's simply ridiculous. Everything, good/bad right/wrong is everywhere. I know you live in what's called "the bible belt" and that this stuff is not in accordance with the bible. But on the other hand, if Jesus could die for your sins and forgive those who betrayed and mocked him, than who the h*ll are you or anyone else to judge other people?????? I'm not trying to bring religion into this forum either but I'm making a point to the people who like to throw the bible in other people's faces.....Lastly, you know the saying, those who live in glass houses....or he who is without sin....I'm not antireligious but you're forgetting one simple fact, our country is based on freedom of speech and freedom of religion (and not everybody is Christian or even reads the bible)...if you're that perfect, than you should have your own island.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM
 
16 posts, read 67,958 times
Reputation: 68
I have a dear friend who is gay and wants to move to NC. I have found others in NC who totally don't understand that he is not that way by choice. But that doesn't mean I want to see gay parades and have it taught in schools, but then I don't like today's modern culture that is TOO TOLERANT and LIBERAL. I don't want to see straight couples making a spectacle out of themselves nor do I care for a society where "anything" goes including teachers having sex with students. Did you notice that the teacher did her routine to a Van Halen song " hot for teacher"? What is wrong with teaching morals? Children need structure and guidelines to be taught right from wrong and to have respect. Modern culture seems to say it is OK for children not to have respect for others and that they can do as they please. Is it most likely because their parents raised these kids in "spock" fashion. So many times I have seen children calling the shots and the parents giving in. But so far, in NC, I have seen well-mannered children who mind their parents and respect their elders.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I kind of agree, but a better analogy would be conservative (Red State) vs. liberal (Blue State). Party affiliations don't really work here, ideologies do. Generally speaking, a North Carolina Democrat is not the same as a Blue State Democrat. The NC Democrat tends to be much more conservative than the national party as a whole on many hot-button issues such as abortion, gun control, taxes and homosexual rights.

Over the past 13 Presidential elections, NC went with Mainstream America almost 80% of the time.

NC Votes

1956 - Stevenson
1960 - Kennedy
1964 - Johnson
1968 - Nixon
1972 - Nixon
1976 - Carter
1980 - Reagan
1984 - Reagan
1988 - Bush
1992 - Bush
1996 - Dole
2000 - Bush
2004 - Bush

The further the current Democratic Party goes to the left, the more solid the South becomes. No political party can write-off the South and expect to win the White House anymore. Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter understood that they had to at least win a few southern states to be elected. Putting a Southerner on the ticket is not enough to win. Al Gore and John Edwards couldn't even carry their own home states. Ignoring the interests of the southern region is a huge mistake for either party.
Hence the reason the ridiculous electoral college should be done away with anyways. But lets not get too much into politics here.
 
Old 05-05-2006, 05:47 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
And you think conservatives are to blame for this??

What about the 3 cent gas tax increase the DEMOCRATS passed recently??

What about the NC House speaker Jim Black (democrat) who has been called upon to resign by his own party for corruption?? Do you want to get into a discussion of the trick the Democrats here pulled to pass the lottery?

And finally, I suppose those who still have an ounce of morality in their souls are just lunatics right? "Normal" people would be those who are gay, have abortions, and play the lottery.
The whole lottery is a liberal heathan conspiray thing got old FAST. Every state around NC, inlcuding the even MORE conservative SC had a lottery. I like how a freaking lottery is considered "evil gambling" but casinos in the mountains are not? Please. Yes, NORMAL people play the lottery. And the whiners are just going to have to get over that. lol. You sound like that Bill Graham guy (not the televangelist, the one who makes all of those commericals and airs them on the faux news channel).... "I told the liberal politicians... we're not going anywhere." (refering to the gas tax). If you want to pay less for gas try tackling the price gouging, monoplolizing oil companies. Or try supporting the use of ethanol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top