U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
JAS

494 posts, read 1,212,535 times

Advertisements

Also, be aware that Lexington-style BBQ is much better than that junk they serve in eastern NC.

For those of you not from NC, you don't realize that I may have just started a nasty flame war.

Also, northerners need to be aware that they will close the schools down here if there is 1/100th of an inch of snow. In all seriousness though, NC tends to get more ice than snow, and even a small amount of ice can create very bad road conditions.

This was a very mild winter for us this past year - hardly any snow or ice, at least here in the Piedmont area. I think the worst that I can remember in recent years was a nasty ice storm in Greensboro about 4 yrs ago (it was in December) that knocked down trees/limbs and power lines throughout the Triad, and about 6 yrs ago there was a winter (maybe it was winter 2000?) where we had 2-3 snowfalls in a row. We had snow on the ground for about 2 weeks straight, which is extremely unusual for around here. I also remember a bad storm about 10 yrs ago.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 180,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
This was a very mild winter for us this past year - hardly any snow or ice, at least here in the Piedmont area. I think the worst that I can remember in recent years was a nasty ice storm in Greensboro about 4 yrs ago (it was in December) that knocked down trees/limbs and power lines throughout the Triad, and about 6 yrs ago there was a winter (maybe it was winter 2000?) where we had 2-3 snowfalls in a row. We had snow on the ground for about 2 weeks straight, which is extremely unusual for around here. I also remember a bad storm about 10 yrs ago.
I know all about that year! Because I'm writing a book, I have to research a lot of stuff. One of the scenes in the book is about a car accident, which I wanted to occur in early January, 2002. I knew before I wrote the scene that ice would be a factor in the accident. So I started researching... and it turns out that on January 3/4 2002 there was a terrible snow storm that dumped 12-14 inches of snow over the eastern part of the state (Raleigh, if I recall, received an inch of snow). I also found out that not long after that, another storm came through (but I didn't write about that one).

So... January 3/4, 2002... that's your storm!

God bless,
Diana

Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
JAS

Default diana

I think I remember that snowstorm in '02, but we had a series of snowfalls in GSO that kept snow on the ground for 2-3 weeks.

A single snowfall of 4-6 inches isn't unusual, but to have 3 snow events crammed into a week or two is unusual for this area of the country. Each winter we generally get about one significant snowfall and a few smaller ones.

EDIT: I searched on a weather history website, and GSO had snow depth on the ground of 2 inches or more (and it was often more than 4 inches) from 1/18/00 - 2/5/00, which is almost 3 weeks.

Last edited by JAS; 04-26-2006 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 PM

143 posts, read 329,546 times
I haven't made my mind on the Barbeque yet.

Don't worry about us -- we're fleeing the PC Blue-state world willingly! The only thing I will offer about "how we did it up North" will have to do with preparation of Clam Chowdah, which is white!

A lot of well-worded posts in this thread.

BTW, I like the fact that the region doesn't have to waste millions of dollars removing something that will melt anyway

Old 04-26-2006, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 180,727 times
Default Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I think I remember that snowstorm in '02, but we had a series of snowfalls in GSO that kept snow on the ground for 2-3 weeks.

A single snowfall of 4-6 inches isn't unusual, but to have 3 snow events crammed into a week or two is unusual for this area of the country. Each winter we generally get about one significant snowfall and a few smaller ones.

EDIT: I searched on a weather history website, and GSO had snow depth on the ground of 2 inches or more (and it was often more than 4 inches) from 1/18/00 - 2/5/00, which is almost 3 weeks.
Okay. I didn't research other dates. My novel takes place in 2001/2002 in Nash County (although I changed all the place names).

Help me out a bit... GSO???

Cheers,
Diana

Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 PM

110 posts, read 284,576 times
If your from eastern NC, you like the eastern bbq, vice versa in the west.

More notes:

1.You know youre living in Cary when you have lived in NC all your life and the newcomers there think YOU have the funny accent!

2. Oh yeah, and NC has so many personalized options for a license plate. Got one for the college you went, one for duck lovers , Sons of Confederate veterans, and the new one out is an optiom for your favorite NASCAR driver.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:12 PM
JAS

Default Diana

Diana -- GSO = Greensboro (at least in airport codes).

Sorry for not being clear about that!

Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,556,112 times
ALSO note this. When it snows STAY OFF THE ROADS. It doesn't matter how much snow it is. You stay off the road because there WILL be serious back ups and accidents. I may make current residence cringe when I mention this......... last January; .7 inches! It snowed less than an inch in Jan. 2005 and completely LOCKED DOWN the areas roads. Trips that took 10 minutes took 6 hours; kids spent the night in school, people spent the night at work or in their cars on the road. But that was nothing. In Jan. 2000; 27 inches (no decimal, that says twenty-seven inches) fell and people thought the end had come. There was no school for 2 weeks and you didn't DARE get in your car. That is why not when it snows... but the minute they predict it coming; you go to the store as the creater of this thread mentioned.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,600,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
If your from eastern NC, you like the eastern bbq, vice versa in the west.

More notes:

1.You know youre living in Cary when you have lived in NC all your life and the newcomers there think YOU have the funny accent!

2. Oh yeah, and NC has so many personalized options for a license plate. Got one for the college you went, one for duck lovers , Sons of Confederate veterans, and the new one out is an optiom for your favorite NASCAR driver.

I wonder if they have Sons of Union Veterans up north?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM

110 posts, read 284,576 times
Im sorry but I have read many posts on here about people moving to NC and some coming without even a job, like people are fleeing the plague. Is it really that bad where everyone is? Im being serious. I just never would really want to uproot my family or life just for a warmer climate or because I heard people are nicer. Seems like newcomers are metal and NC is the magnet for them.

Maybe I sound harsh but I dont intend to be. What is really the final straw that made you want to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina