U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I moved south, I experienced it for 11 years, I'm not satisfied. NC will become more expensive and subsequently less business-friendly), inflation notwithstanding, that is without question and it would be extremely naive to deny it. It's all just a matter of if you mind it or not.
You know, I'm beginning to get a picture of you with a bloody forehead, all from beating it against a virtual brick wall

Those of us who have moved - by choice or by uprooting at the hands of the corporation we tied ourselves to - to this state over the last .. oh 20-25 years, have contributed to what NC has become, both in positive and negative terms. Bad traffic, blighting subdivisions, the diluting of a culture .. but also rescuing it from becoming another poor southern state. The current migration; seen more as people fleeing from bad situations to what they hope will be a better one; is just another phase in the cycle.

Unlike you, Spouse and I expect to be here for the rest of our lives unless it gets so bad that we sell our place for an obscene profit and flee to .. I dunno .. Arkansas? But I don't expect that to happen. We just love living here. We look at the current flood of in-migration with a jaundiced eye and carp about how it affects us, but that's a matter of pot-kettle-black, since we affected the natives in the same way when we moved here So, we're just going to stick it out, and deal with it. If people are so bedanged (can't say the other d* word, I know it'll get modercated) to move here, then the best thing to do is provide information that is as balanced and moderately positive as possible. Try to get them to not move here and:

1)they won't believe it, thinking that where they are at now is such a misery that anywhere else has to be better than the lives they currently have

2)they'll have the attitude that We don't want Them to move here and mess up the good lives we have by increasing house prices, taxes, etc when we are guilty of the same when we migrated here. I've talked to natives of the area where I live who gripe that the land we live on "used to be worth a squat nickle and here we can't even hunt on it anymore."

You go back and be happy; you sound like you are going to burst a gasket at many of these discussions I will admit that probably 75% of the original ~250 people who were uprooted and relocated with us, and the company we worked for, have gone back to the St. Louis area. The rest of us have made fairly decent lives for ourselves and intend to stick out whatever changes the current flood bring, for better or worse. Not much else we can do, ya know

Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
Our game plan elsewhere is to keep our personal beliefs to ourselves if they differ from the locals, make sure we find a place compatible with our pet/animal needs, and see how the locals actually accomplish things in their area and why. After all, you all are the experts.
Good attitude

I made a few faux paus when we relocated (scraped the cole slaw off the BBQ sandwich I was served at a welcoming lunch - I didn't realize that NC BBQ is way different than Midwest BBQ ) but learned to adapt, following the principles you seem to have already set. Good luck on your search

Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,874,371 times
Okay, I'm from Jersey and I know a lot of people who have moved or are interested in moving specifically to NC. I've often wondered why. I'm not knocking NC at all, but it's funny how all of a sudden there's this big boom, not GA, not FLA or SC but simply NC. My parents started having us vacation in Ocean City, MD when I was about 13 and have been going for the past twenty years, I now bring my kids. I've also finally made it all the way to FLA for the first time in my life (drove) and of course we went through NC... I have found that once you are over the Delaware Memorial Bridge people get nicer the further south you go. Being from NJ, I'm sure an outsider would put me right up there with the rest of the attitude capital, however, I consider myself to hate everyone here. (not really, but I hate the attitude and rep we all get because of the nasty people). I admit however, that whether you are a nice person or not, our "accent" automatically makes us sound "tough guy". We may watch the Sopranos but believe me, I'm italian and my family was NEVER like that (thank God) LOL!!!! Now that I've spilled my life story...the point I was eventually getting to was this: My husband and I want out of here. We've been researching Maine and NH because I can't stand the hot and humid summers. I know NC is like that, even hotter actually, but I have a feeling if I wasn't surrounded by traffic and nasty people all the time, the heat might not make me as schiz-zy. So, how do you people in NC feel about Jersey people coming down there? Are we ruining it for you too like we've ruined it here? Or do Jerseyans tend to knock the chip off their shoulder and become nice once their there? I don't want to move somewhere just to end up with the same type of people I was trying to get away from!!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
So, how do you people in NC feel about Jersey people coming down there? Are we ruining it for you too like we've ruined it here? Or do Jerseyans tend to knock the chip off their shoulder and become nice once their there? I don't want to move somewhere just to end up with the same type of people I was trying to get away from!!
Well, you tawk funny

I deal with three New Joizy people at work. What I get, even from working with them on disasters, is their sense of humor. Even when a whole application is having a meltdown, and I face having to make a report to the managers that they won't be satisified with, and will try to blame us, the NJ people that are helping me will razz and laugh. One fellow (I swear to G*d, his name is Rocco) was overheard to say to another programmer "here, take these scissors and run down the hall with them" I was ready to just sign off and go home in frustration over the problem, but he helped cheer us out of the disaster.

I dunno, maybe some of the NJ people move here and learn to mellow out, but still keep the positive part of the edginess in reserve? You still drive like cr@p, though

Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Why does almost everyone keep making the blanket statement that NC is "hot and humid" in the summertime????

Wait until July or August and come for a visit to the Asheville area or anywhere else in the North Carolina Mountains and see for yourself, but only if you can tolerate an average daily high of 83 degrees.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-27-2006 at 11:10 PM..

Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Hey!!! We don't drive like crap!! Actually, we are very fast drivers, but for the most part we're safe (I think). You should see NY drivers in NJ. Our left lane is for passing (65 is the speed limit). They get in the left lane for two hours straight doing 43. It's great

See, we think Y'all tok funny, not us!!

Yeah, there's a lot of Rocco's up here, and Joe's, Tony's and Vinnie's too. We're alright though. We are definitely funny people and fun loving. I think the reason we give off such a bad impression is the pressures of living in such a fast paced area. North Jersey has NYC and South Jersey has Philly, so there's always commuting and there's ALWAYS traffic. You work 9-5 but you're actually out of the house from 7:30 until 6:00 or 7:00 PM, wouldn't you be nasty too?! LOL The other problem is everyone here gets their styles and trends from NY, we have to keep up with it, so by the time you get home from the mall, the style has changed yet once again. Young girls think they have to be anorexic because that's what the magazines show, the clubs are insane (5 billion people packed into one room with a DJ and bunch of glow sticks and drugs). Life is too fast paced here, it's as simple as that. But there are people like my husband and I who want a house with a deck and a grill to bbq, a radio with classic rock and a cooler with some budweiser, while the kids can actually play outside without joining a gang.....ahhh the life!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Why does almost everyone keep making the blanket statement that NC is "hot and humid" in the summertime????
I'm glad someone commented on that

A few years back, we took a motorcycle ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway in August. When we started out, on I-40, we were hard-pressed to keep from flinging our leathers off, it was so hot. As we ascended the Parkway, and rode to the top of Mt. Mitchell, we were glad we had jackets on. It was chilly up there. The gift shop had a run on for the long sleeved T-shirts being bought by the tourists who were wearing tank tops and shorts.

The fact that towns like Boone, Blowing Rock, and Brevard are now scarcely affordable to ordinary folks is because the rich people in Florida and other hot-hot states are building summer homes there to flee the heat of their main domiciles

Old 04-28-2006, 08:04 AM

Sorry if I seemed to offend anyone. Maybe it's not as hot and humid as here in NJ. I'm sure you don't have the smog we have but I honestly can't imagine it NOT being hot and humid in the summer in NC too. I've heard it from different people and when we drove to Florida in November, it was hot in North Carolina. Maybe not 70 or 80 but we left NJ with sweats and sweatshirts and by the time we were halfway through NC, we were practically stripping our clothes. I'd say it was maybe 30-40 here and down there it was close to 60 if not already 60. That's hot for November (to us) so one would assume it's hotter in the summer. Hey, I don't care where I live as long as it's safe, my children are well-educated, has beauty and I can be more laid back than here. I won't argue with you because I haven't ever been there in summer...yet

Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 AM

543 posts, read 1,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
And again.... you are KIDDING YOURSELF if you don't think that is going to happen here in NC... soon.
And that may absolutely be true. It's still going to happen whether I move or not. Big difference is that it's all ready happended here and I'd rather be at the starting side of the upward swing instead of the finishing side

Old 04-28-2006, 08:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Sorry if I seemed to offend anyone. Maybe it's not as hot and humid as here in NJ. I'm sure you don't have the smog we have but I honestly can't imagine it NOT being hot and humid in the summer in NC too. I've heard it from different people and when we drove to Florida in November, it was hot in North Carolina. Maybe not 70 or 80 but we left NJ with sweats and sweatshirts and by the time we were halfway through NC, we were practically stripping our clothes. I'd say it was maybe 30-40 here and down there it was close to 60 if not already 60. That's hot for November (to us) so one would assume it's hotter in the summer. Hey, I don't care where I live as long as it's safe, my children are well-educated, has beauty and I can be more laid back than here. I won't argue with you because I haven't ever been there in summer...yet
When someone talks about the climate of North Carolina, there is no such thing. NC has climates, not climate. NC is almost 600 miles long.

The point is that the probability of summertime heat and humidity depends on the specific NC region. You will not have the same temperature or anything close to it across the entire state when the elevation fluctuates from sea level on the Atlantic coast to almost 6,700 feet in the Blue Ridge mountains.

This should give you a general idea. These are the average normal highs in July for few metro areas based on National Weather Service data over the past 30+ years:

Asheville - 83.3
Charlotte - 90.1
Raleigh - 89.1
Greensboro - 87.6
Wilmington - 89.9
Elizabeth City - 89.2

Average Maximum Yearly Temperature (All Seasons) for the Past 50 years

http://www.visitnc.com/_assets/_images/climate_max.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or