U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 AM

192 posts, read 593,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I admit however, that whether you are a nice person or not, our "accent" automatically makes us sound "tough guy".
We can relate...

Whether you are a educated, intelligent person or not, our "accent" automatically makes us sound hillbilly, redneck or dense.

Something to remember about one another... ....to take the accent, with a grain of salt, as it doesn't necessarily "mean" what it implies.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
So, how do you people in NC feel about Jersey people coming down there? Are we ruining it for you too like we've ruined it here? I don't want to move somewhere just to end up with the same type of people I was trying to get away from!!
How do I feel?
I know it's not a direct reply to your questions, but a lot of what I wrote would apply...see my post, #58, in the thread "considering relocating to NC"...

Old 04-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Why does almost everyone keep making the blanket statement that NC is "hot and humid" in the summertime????

Wait until July or August and come for a visit to the Asheville area or anywhere else in the North Carolina Mountains and see for yourself, but only if you can tolerate an average daily high of 83 degrees.

Sorry mm34b. I've mentioned the hot/humid thing a lot. I typically additionally add that I'm speaking about the Coastal Plain. I think a few times I've stated Raleigh & east. If I made a "blanket statement" somewhere along the way (I don't think I have, but can't remember every post), I shouldn't have.

You are very right & I agree with you wholeheartedly that it's not a true blanket statement. Though heavily touted as THE fall destination, the NC mountains are so lovely in the summer! weather is just awesome then.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
Sorry mm34b. I've mentioned the hot/humid thing a lot. I typically additionally add that I'm speaking about the Coastal Plain. I think a few times I've stated Raleigh & east. If I made a "blanket statement" somewhere along the way (I don't think I have, but can't remember every post), I shouldn't have.

You are very right & I agree with you wholeheartedly that it's not a true blanket statement. Though heavily touted as THE fall destination, the NC mountains are so lovely in the summer! weather is just awesome then.
My rant was not directed to any specific poster, just the postings in general, but thanks for pointing out the climate differences across the entire state but it appears to be a losing battle. I lived in Fayetteville-Lumberton in the Coastal Plain region for 7 years. Unbelievable summer heat and humidty, in my opinion.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 AM

I knew it wasn't...

you're very welcome!

Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,874,371 times
I agree with you luckydog about the accent thing. It doesn't matter. We all sound like mobsters here (ay,oh) but we're not. Go out to Nevada and they talk with a little twang! Texas has a drawl (sexy), Boston, well, I don't know how to describe Boston...they don't pronounce R's or something (drive yaw ca) and so on. I actually like hearing different accents, it's funny how a few hours of driving makes such a difference.

As for the hot/humid thing, heat isn't bad, it really is the humidity that does the damage. NJ is a very humid place. In the summer I think 80% humidity is considered low and you're lucky. 50% humidity is pretty much, ummm, January, let's say. July/August it sky rockets. Sometimes with the heat and humidity combined it's between 100 and 110 degress here (and that's laying on the ground under a shady tree). There's a huge difference because I've been to Vegas and although I'm not sure how "dry" the heat is, it's definitely not as humid. When we got to our hotel, it was 116 degrees and believe me it was hot but I honestly didn't break a sweat until we went out walking for a couple of hours. Here, it's 82 and I have pit stains (and i"m a woman!!!! ) Just a joke.....So I don't know where NC and the southern states fit into the mix but as long as SOMEWHERE is not as humid as here, I could live just fine.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,666,752 times
No matter where you go it gets hot. The mountains are no exception. Ever been to Bel Cher street festival in Asheville? It held at the end of July and it is pretty hot every year I go. I will say though the mountains are cooler than the rest of the state but it still gets hot. Plus it snows in the winter, which alot of people are sick of apparently.

When you move to NC (or any of the South) there are certain things you dont complain about. The golden rule is dont argue about the Confederate soldier memorial statue in front of the courthouses. Many county couthouses and town squares have these. Theyve been there for years and honor the war dead.

Last edited by Carolina_native; 04-28-2006 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
No matter where you go it gets hot. The mountains are no exception. Ever been to Bel Cher street festival in Asheville? It held at the end of July and it is pretty hot every year I go. I will say though the mountains are cooler than the rest of the state but it still gets hot. Plus it snows in the winter, which alot of people are sick of apparently.

When you move toNC
Can't say I agree with you on that, unless you're talking about unusual weather.

According to the National Weather Service (NWS), the average daily high for Asheville over a 29-year data period for July and August is 82.5 degrees. That does not mean that on those rare occasions we don't have temps in the 90's. Last summer Asheville experienced 3 days of 90+ weather. In contrast, Raleigh-Durham reported 45 days of 90+ highs during the same period.

As far as snow, an average Asheville winter season, residents can expect to see a total of around 15". Last winter Asheville only had a season total of 0.4" reported at the NWS station, but that's the exception, not the rule.

This Asheville climate data comes from the NWS station located at the Asheville-Hendersonville Airport. The Raleigh-Durham data comes from the NWS station located at the Raleigh-Durham Airport

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
<snip>
When you move to NC (or any of the South) there are certain things you dont complain about. The golden rule is dont argue about the Confederate soldier memorial statue in front of the courthouses. Many county couthouses and town squares have these. Theyve been there for years and honor the war dead.
Just a few questions on this:

(1) Who might complain, and why?

(2) Why is someone not supposed to complain?

(3) Does the soldier statue stand for anything other than honoring war dead?

I ask these questions because, as an American, I want to ensure that I'm moving my family to a place where American principles prevail.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,041 times
Default backfist

backfist:

Confederate memorials are all over the place, but so is the American flag and a strong sense of patriotism.

Having lived in the south my entire life, I think it comes down to regional pride more than anything else - and this probably traces itself back to the Europeans who settled this part of the country a few centuries ago. There's a lot of Scotch-Irish and English blood in the south, and those people are known for their strong sense of local-area regionalism.

Last edited by JAS; 04-28-2006 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or