U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2006, 01:42 PM

5,659 posts, read 17,783,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Just a few questions on this:

(1) Who might complain, and why?

(2) Why is someone not supposed to complain?

(3) Does the soldier statue stand for anything other than honoring war dead?

I ask these questions because, as an American, I want to ensure that I'm moving my family to a place where American principles prevail.
1. Like almost everything these days, some folks are offended by the political reasons for the Civil War. They feel that having any symbol of those times is somehow a current-day endorsement of the region's struggle for independence. The Vietnam War was also controversial. I hope no one thinks the Washington D.C. Vietnam War Memorial should be removed because they disagree with the reasons behind America's involvement.

2. This is America. One can complain about anything they like, but it's misplaced on this issue. The entire population of that time period is dead. You can't change history.

3. No, it just honors those NC citizens who gave their lives in defense of their state. Compared to the Union states, the losses suffered by NC during the war were massive. Around 4% of the total population of NC died during the war. To get a sense of that NC loss, if 4% of U.S population died during the Vietnam Conflict, we would be looking at around 8 million war dead instead of 58,000 plus.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,478,927 times
And NC lost more soldiers in the war than any other Confederate state.

Honestly, the people who do complain about it I dont think actually care that much about it. They are trying to make a name for themselves and cause a stir, that is what matters to them.

An example is in Charlotte. There is a cemetery in Charlotte that has Confederates who died in the war buried there. The Confederate flag has flown above their graves for as long as I can remember. The flag was flown in the center of the cemetery, though not visible unless you actually visited the cemetery. The Sons of Confederate Veterans took care of the maintenence and upkeep of the cemetery. Well sure enough, someone finally complained about the Confederate flag flying on public property, and the scared politicians here said it had to come down. I think this happened about a year ago.

Small things like that that chip away at history in the name of pc.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:05 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,184,544 times
Default hazy hot & humid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Sorry if I seemed to offend anyone. Maybe it's not as hot and humid as here in NJ.

OMG, remember last summer?!?!? On Long Island we had weeks on end of searing heat and drenching humidity. As I recall it was like that in Northern Jersey too.
We drove from NY in August to the Outer Banks... just as miserable in both places.

As a girl I do remember a few days each summer like that but the past few years we have had long miserable heatwaves.
Plus, we don't have central air in our house- many older homes don't- & electric bill would be too high, so if we have central down there we will be ahead in the game!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Default who did this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
Well sure enough, someone finally complained about the Confederate flag flying on public property, and the scared politicians here said it had to come down. I think this happened about a year ago.

Small things like that that chip away at history in the name of pc.

Who complained? Was it a resident? A newcomer? An outside group agitating?
That sort of stuff happens on Long Island all the time. Whether it is our Christmas tree lightings, or parades, or whatever, bit by bit they are taken away by a Very Vocal Minority.
We all want to be sensitive but one day you wake up & look at your 400 year old town & realize, hey, t
I am surrounded by strip malls that all look the same... I could be Anywhere! Sad.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:16 PM

787 posts, read 2,419,397 times
We found out that a faulty heat pump was the problem for one of the most expensive electric bills we had in 1997. The bill was something like almost $300.00. The next year before the season started, the thing went out and while they were replacing it, they found out that the cats had knocked out some of the works under the house. Anyway we replaced everything at a cost of about $3200.00 and since then, we have had electric bills that barely made it to $200.00 in the dead of summer. In the winter, we use a fireplace insert and the electric bills run something like $127.00 for a 1700 square foot, brick ranch house. So checking the heat pump or whatever you use for cooling and heating is necessary. I just assumed that the electric bills would be high and didn't think that the heat pump in the house was old enough to be replaced. The house was 8 years old when we bought it in 1992 and we replaced the heat pump in April of 1997. Since my son worked for the company that did the installation, we got a slight discount on it. I have to say one thing about where I live, we don't have a lot of complainers around here. That would require ambition on the part of the complainer and everyone is so laid back that they just don't see things that perhaps a transplant would see to complain about.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 04-28-2006 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM

2,094 posts, read 4,425,952 times
At the risk of starting a whole new debate, I just want to say one thing about that confederate flag complaint in the cemetary. People aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. When things are quiet and settled, people get restless. Look at all the controversy we have nowadays: Taking prayer out of schools, fighting the Flag salute, singing the national anthem in spanish, online votes about our opinions of Iraq, the list goes on and on...people seem to forget one simple fact, we're all americans. Color, creed, none of that matters, if you're born here, you are an american. If you want to move or emigrate here than you must obide by the american ways and traditions, work like we do, don't look for handouts and sympathy. Work, honor and respect and then MAYBE you can be, not an american, but an american citizen. Period. We all, as americans, have gained and lost the same things since this country was founded. Because of people who like to stir the pot, we have begun to segregate ourselves, bend our own rules and allow "outsiders" to change what we've created, it's pathetic. But you're right Carolina Native, politicians get scared. If they had you-know-what's down where the sun don't shine, they'd have told that person "then just don't go in the d**m cemetary" but unfortunately, "freedom of speech" has been translated into "scr*w with whatever you can".
Alright, I'm done lecturing....

NYer, summer has been horrendous here the past couple of years. You know it's bad when your kids are on summer break and they don't even want to go outside. My poor kids literally had like 22 days of summer as opposed to what 70-80? The absolute worst though was two summers ago when we lost power from here to new england. We threw the kids in the car and drove around for two hours because it was the only air conditioning we had (then the lines at the gas stations were around the block) I think our power was out a total of 6 hours, no air, cooking, clocks, tv, radio, it looked scary outside in such darkness, people thought it was another terrorist attack.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Last summer they had to put giant ice blocks in the simming pools in Raleigh because it got so hot the water wasn't refershing at all and the pools were evaporating. Oh yeah, and this comment right here:

Quote:
Work, honor and respect and then MAYBE you can be, not an american, but an american citizen. Period. We all, as americans, have gained and lost the same things since this country was founded. Because of people who like to stir the pot, we have begun to segregate ourselves, bend our own rules and allow "outsiders" to change what we've created, it's pathetic.
WOW. I don't even know where to start. So immigrants can come to America and follow the rules, be law abiding citizens, and love this country as if they were born here... and not be considered Americans? I think you need to look back in history. We ALL derived from imigrants. The non-radical, non-border jumping good people are just as American as you and I if they become a citizen. Let me guess.... you think "Birth of a Nation" was a great movie? I don't think you should move to NC' it's too progressive for your taste; try Mississippi, or, Darfur or Rwanda.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,826,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
There is a cemetery in Charlotte that has Confederates who died in the war buried there. The Confederate flag has flown above their graves for as long as I can remember..someone finally complained about the Confederate flag flying on public property......
Yeah, I remember that. BIG fight. *sigh* But it was a city owned cemetery, and the City Manager ordered the flag (and flag pole and tie lines) removed.

You find pockets of CW history all over NC, but the more momentous battlefields are in Virginia. Salisbury, NC has a prison that held Union POWs. Reading the history, one finds that the soldiers were, at first, treated well, but as the war raged on and Southern conditions, in general, waned, so did the treatment of the POWs. Today, it's thought that ~12,000 Union dead are buried in a very small quadrant of land.

Spouse and I did a whole sweep of battlefield tours when we first moved here. Some of them are located in such rural areas (Antietam) that they are largely undisturbed. It's a very sober/somber scene to view. We regard it as history, and that the dead are to be respected, so we don't fuss over the flag situation.

For those that aren't necessarily CW buffs, but still want to see battles; with horses charging, puffs of gun powder, the BOOM! of cannon, and fallen soldiers whom you will see sit up to watch the rest of the battle , check out the larger ones in places like New Market, Virginia and Belle Grove Plantation. You are allowed to walk thru the encampments and watch the soldiers recreate life between battles. Even the women get into the act, dressing up in hoop skirts and crinolines. I don't want to say it's entertaining, considering what it is all about, but it is very interesting.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:00 AM

[quote=pixieshmoo] The absolute worst though was two summers ago when we lost power from here to new england. QUOTE]

We thought it was a terrorist attack too. WE lost power for days. My husband was stuck in the city. A transformer blew downtown. When the people saw it they began to RUN uptown, thinking it was you know what again.
He slept on the pavement outside Penn Station. The red cross gave him water & crackers (The atm's were not working & b/c of the heat the stores could not sell food, & the hotels could not let people in!)
Not knowing where he was was the scariest.

Yes, there is a bit of teh "fleeing" mentality in this move for us...

Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 4,425,952 times
Default Response to I'mInformed

That's not what I'm saying....I know we all derived from immigrants, my grandfather came here from Italy. I've never seen the movie you're speaking of though. First of all, I'm not directing this at any one particular group. Right now we're dealing with the illegal immigrant situation that's been on the news, but I'm talking about anybody who disregards what we are as a country. Again, I know we derived from immigrants and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be here. And I'm not talking about the non-border-jumping people. I think anyone who is here, no matter who they are, is entitled to our rights as Americans or American citizens, if they/we work for it and respect what is here. My point about being an american or not, I thought was self-explanatory....it wasn't meant offensively, if you are born here, you are an American (i.e. I am an American of Italian descent but the point is that I'm American, not Italian) If you come here from another country (any country), you are not an American, you are an American Citizen. If I moved to Italy, I wouldn't be an Italian, I'd be an Italian Citizen. If I had children while residing there, they'd be Italians of American descent but regardless, they'd be Italian. There were no prejudice intentions in that comment. My comments were more directed toward things going on with people who aren't here legally. I don't care where they come from, but they should not come here and expect to gain what we've worked for, yet not go through the proper channels to become an American Citizen. I have nothing against anyone specific, however, I don't think people who are here illegally should have a right to oppose anything we do, they're taking what we offer as being the most free country in the world and they're taking advantage of it. I'm grateful that my grandfather came here and worked to provide a life for his future family, but he wasn't treated good when he got here, as I'm sure many weren't. However, he worked at becoming a citizen, he didn't take for granted what was here. I'm not trying to be obnoxious and again I'm grateful, but I AM an American, I was born here where these rights were already established before I was even a twinkle in my parents' eyes. But don't get me wrong, I work for it too. I've worked since I was 14, paid my taxes, I honor my country and the people who protect it. If it wasn't for our soldiers and armed forces who are in existence now, we wouldn't be living the lives we do live. But we work for this. I wouldn't go to another country and demand to be treated like I was one of their own. Maybe it wasn't completely in-sync to the confederate flag response, but coming where I come from, we've experienced that most of these types of complaints are from people who aren't here very legally. That's all I meant.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 04-29-2006 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina