U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 PM

110 posts, read 347,866 times

Advertisements

Since there are obviously alot of people moving here from the north I thought Id give some advice to help everyone out.

1. Yes, the summers are hot and muggy. You will not be seeing much snow in the winter. I happen to like snow, but theres not much of it. If it does snow, you must go to the store and buy all the bread and milk you can. Dont ask. Its sort of a tradition.
2. For the LAST time, we dont care how you did it up North!
3. There is no more land available within a 40 mile radius of Charlotte and Raleigh, so dont waste the trip.
4. The Confederate flag is history and heritage. And May is Confederate history month.
5. Dont feel as though you have to like NASCAR, I used to like it, but dont anymore. (Dont get me started.)
6. Pronounce the names of your new city right. Northerners tend to not pronounce their "r", while in the South we emphasize our "r".

Just a few thoughts of mine for now. Feel free to add on what you like or have learned.

Last edited by nctarheel; 04-25-2006 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 PM

167 posts, read 816,170 times
Ok... what should we know?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM

110 posts, read 103,752 times
Holding my breath here.....

Old 04-25-2006, 10:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,412,028 times
Youll probably ruffle some feathers with that one.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 42,304 times
Ok im from Baltimore, MD and about to move to Thomson Georgia to be w/ my fiance'. I was told just about the same info in reference to my move. So this just confirms that the info is true. LOL

Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 PM

110 posts, read 103,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
Since there are obviously alot of people moving here from the north I thought Id give some advice to help everyone out.

1. Yes, the summers are hot and muggy. You will not be seeing much snow in the winter. I happen to like snow, but theres not much of it. If it does snow, you must go to the store and buy all the bread and milk you can. Dont ask. Its sort of a tradition.
2. For the LAST time, we dont care how you did it up North!
3. There is no more land available within a 40 mile radius of Charlotte and Raleigh, so dont waste the trip.
4. The Confederate flag is history and heritage. And May is Confederate history month.
5. Dont feel as though you have to like NASCAR, I used to like it, but dont anymore. (Dont get me started.)
6. Pronounce the names of your new city right. Northerners tend to not pronounce their "r", while in the South we emphasize our "r".

Just a few thoughts of mine for now. Feel free to add on what you like or have learned.
okay... got it!!! LOL

Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 13,961,506 times
Also one more thing. If you are moving here and come accorss a person who has been here for more than oh say... I don't know, 5+ years ballpark; don't bring up the "magic" that comes to your mind when you com here. I mean, it's not that everyone is like me and is totally fed up with the New South and is moving back; but you just start to not really car any more. The majority of us "old transplants" have just come accustomed to the area and realize that while it's not bad and better than a lot of other areas; it isn't utopia and if you carry on we will just want you to shut up.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 PM

5,661 posts, read 23,330,956 times
You forgot to mention that April 29, 2006 is Dale Earnhardt Day.

http://i.tsn.com/i/n/archives/earnhardt/dale_earnhardt_main.jpg (broken link)

Birthplace: Kannapolis, N.C.
Residnece: Mooresville, N.C.
Died: Killed Sunday (Feb. 18, 2001) on the last turn of the last lap of the Daytona 500 in a crash involving cars driven by Sterling Marlin and Ken Schrader.
Driving career: Known as The Intimidator for his aggressive driving style, Earnhardt won seven NASCAR Winston Cup titles to tie Richard Petty's record. Won 76 races, including the 1998 Daytona 500. Was the 1979 Rookie of the Year, and won the National Motorsport Press Association's Driver of the Year award four times and twice was selected the American Driver of the Year.
Family: Wife, Teresa; four children, Dale Jr., Kerry, Kelly, Taylor. Earnhardt's father, Ralph, was one of the pioneers of NASCAR and a star in its Sportsman division in the 1950s. Dale Jr. is a top Winston Cup driver.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-25-2006 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 AM

284 posts, read 875,059 times
Maybe you should try telling it like it is.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:39 AM

2,657 posts, read 6,696,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
... us "old transplants" have just come accustomed to the area and realize that while it's not bad and better than a lot of other areas; it isn't utopia ..
Guess we're the minority. When something about this area annoys me or I'm bored, I think of our old life in St. Louis. I remember the summers that were so hot and humid; people were dropping like flies from heat waves. The winters when the winds would blow across the river, going outside was pure misery (can’t remember the last time I wore a winter coat here. A turtleneck and heavy sweater suffices). Going back there, I always knew when to expect the gloom to descend: when we crossed from Louisville, Ky into Indiana. I knew the land would soon become flat, trees would be distant clumps viewed across dull fields, and the highway would become a straight line with nothing to break the view. Visiting the relatives was nothing but sitting around talking, or having a cook-out. No place to go, nothing interesting to see, nothing but listen to them yammer about the great time they had visiting Branson or the Lake of the Ozarks. We couldn’t wait to get back to the Smokies, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the temperate seasons with explosions of color in the spring and fall, all the neat historical places to visit, the fun roads to run our bikes.

I suppose the realization of how much we love this area came when the company we worked for, for whom we grudgingly agreed to move when it transferred from St. Louis to Charlotte, wanted to uproot us again and send us to Denver, Colorado. We thought our priority would be our jobs. After all, we were vested, had 4 weeks of vacation built up, had job security and respect for our skills … preserving that was most important. So, we spent 5 weeks out there, helping with the transfer of the company, picking out a house and putting a contract on it, putting our NC house on the market. We figured the solace would be mountains higher than the ones in NC/TN/VA to visit, a closer proximity to other scenic and historic areas; our families certainly approved the move. They would rather drive across the flatness of Missouri, Kansas, and eastern Colorado to reach us than have to cross the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina (that was their excuse for never-ever coming down to visit). However, the whole time we were in Colorado, we were sick. Everyone told us it was altitude illness; most people new to that area suffered from it; but it stayed on, even when we returned to NC to settle up our affairs. Lying in bed one night, both of us silent but unable to sleep, I finally spoke up and said “I can’t do this. I can’t move out there. I don’t want to leave North Carolina.” Spouse said nothing, but took my hand and squeezed it. The next morning we called our manager and said we weren’t going to move with the company. Lord was there hell to pay. We were chosen to move with the company; our skills were so much greater than other workers that they were terminated while our jobs were held. We were promptly told the terms of our termination. So, here we were, both out of work, a mortgage to pay, and no job prospects when a slow time was occurring in the NC economy. We never regretted it, even though it meant months of job searching and several leapfrogs of places where we worked until each of us found a job to settle into.

So i'minformed, I agree that NC is not a Utopia. It has its problems, aggravations, and attitudes that we’ve just never been able to adjust to, but it did become home. And we weren’t youngsters when we moved here. I was a 5th generation Midwesterner in my 30s, while spouse was a decade older. Not as long a line of Midwestern antecedents, but from a family that was firmly settled. Going back there to visit, even when we are gathered into a gaggle of relatives, just doesn’t seem like the place we are supposed to be. We’re happy to see our folks, and the new additions to the family, but more happy when we pull out of their driveway and head back east.

I suppose, in a generation or two, when someone on either side of our Midwestern family decides to catch up on the genealogy, they'll come across our names. Someone will say "ohhh, I've heard of them! Grandma said they migrated to North Carolina. I think it was the late 80s .. maybe 1990-something? They never moved back. Grandma said they even got fired from their jobs rather than move somewhere closer to the family .. or something like that. No one was able to talk sense into them and get them to move back here when they retired, so they'd have folks to look after them when they got old. <shakes head ruefully> North Carolina. Dang. I guess there are weirdos in each generation. I suppose we ought to find out where they're buried, whenever we take that trip to Myrtle Beach we've been talking about. At least we'll have that info for the family records."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina