Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Good Reading....

Regards
Gemstone1
I wonder if that's where all the factimates in your earlier post came from?

We should absolutely be protecting our drinking water and environment in general from excessive and negiligent actions by the production hog farms. I've been on one - though 20+ years ago now - and wonder if others have as well.

I noted the link was from an organization with an axe to grind, including this hyperbolic statement:

Quote:
In 1999 when Hurricane Floyd hit the state, the Tar, Neuse,
Roanoke, Pamlico, New, and Cape Fear Rivers were deluged
with 120 million gallons of hog waste. Nearly all of
the aquatic life died. Many of the lagoons were several feet
under water, turning the countryside into a cesspool of
excrement and drowned hogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wonder if that's where all the factimates in your earlier post came from?

We should absolutely be protecting our drinking water and environment in general from excessive and negiligent actions by the production hog farms. I've been on one - though 20+ years ago now - and wonder if others have as well.

I noted the link was from an organization with an axe to grind, including this hyperbolic statement:

Quote:
In 1999 when Hurricane Floyd hit the state, the Tar, Neuse,
Hyperbolic? Somewhat, but not by much. Here's another description of the damage from Floyd:

"In October 1999 those lagoons washed out in the flooding following Hurricane Floyd. The waste, mixed with the floating bodies of between 30,000 and 100,000 dead hogs, and with waste from flooded sewage plants, choked coastal rivers and washed into Pamlico and Core Sounds. There the waste created a 350-square mile dead zone, devoid of oxygen and of life, in the nation's second largest estuary. The state's $1 billion fishing industry is expected to suffer severely as a result of the flooding."

I'd say a "350-square mile dead zone" isn't too far from "nearly all the aquatic life died.", especially as it relates to the Pamlico and Core Sounds.

http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/es_ma...ticle_53.mhtml

Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"I noted the link was from an organization with an axe to grind, including this hyperbolic statement"|:

in 1999 when Hurricane Floyd hit the state, the Tar, Neuse,

hyperbole = exaggerated.....guess you'd have to ask the poor folks downstream if it was exaggerated.

Floyd aftermath photos.

Hurricane Matthew article

I don't know anyone who would think that hog manure lagoons located within flood zones would be a good idea.

That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Hyperbolic? Somewhat, but not by much. Here's another description of the damage from Floyd:

"In October 1999 those lagoons washed out in the flooding following Hurricane Floyd. The waste, mixed with the floating bodies of between 30,000 and 100,000 dead hogs, and with waste from flooded sewage plants, choked coastal rivers and washed into Pamlico and Core Sounds. There the waste created a 350-square mile dead zone, devoid of oxygen and of life, in the nation's second largest estuary. The state's $1 billion fishing industry is expected to suffer severely as a result of the flooding."

I'd say a "350-square mile dead zone" isn't too far from "nearly all the aquatic life died.", especially as it relates to the Pamlico and Core Sounds.

http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/es_ma...ticle_53.mhtml
let me restate each time - we have to have reasonable protections in place, and abatement measures required, when all industries act negligently that harm the environment, food chain, and drinking water supplies we rely on.

By your own numbers and a quick Google search, 350 square miles is 15% of the area of the Albemarle/Pamlico basin.

Until Matthew did much the same further south, we had never seen anything like Hurricane Floyd. But notice the issues that occurred in Floyd were largely improved in the ensuing years.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
let me restate each time - we have to have reasonable protections in place, and abatement measures required, when all industries act negligently that harm the environment, food chain, and drinking water supplies we rely on.
And you are satisfied that we do, at this time, in this state, as it relates to hog farms? (see below)

Quote:
By your own numbers and a quick Google search, 350 square miles is 15% of the area of the Albemarle/Pamlico basin.
The information I referenced didn't mention the Albemarle Sound. But regardless, you're ok with a dead zone equal to 15% of the Pamlico and Core Sounds? At what point do you believe a problem would exist? 50%? 75%? 100%?

Quote:
But notice the issues that occurred in Floyd were largely improved in the ensuing years.
Really? How so? Others (likely with more knowledge of the situation than a realtor in Raleigh) have this to say:

"Along the lower Neuse River alone, Rick Dove said he’s seen more than a dozen hog lagoons swamped. He thinks comparisons to Floyd are apt. As I’m flying, it’s almost like I’m back in time to 1999,” Dove said last week. “I flew Floyd just like I’m flying Hurricane Matthew. And I can tell you, its impact on the animal industry is almost identical.”

"Steve Wing, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina, offers a more terse admonition. “Storing vast quantities of fecal waste in flood plains is a serious and preventable public health threat,” he said."

"State environmental officials insist they learned lessons from Floyd. The previous year, the state had put a moratorium on building new farms with more than 250 hogs and expanding existing large farms. After the hurricane, it bought out 42 hog operations located in the floodplain, essentially removing 103 waste lagoons. Other lagoons were relocated to higher ground and, in some cases, re-engineered to withstand inundation.

Yet the effort remains unfinished, with “at least” 150 facilities that the state never closed, according to Michelle Nowlin, a professor of environmental law at Duke University. Many critics maintain that the moratorium contains loopholes that have long rendered the bill ineffective."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f6608011e9d

Last edited by BC1960; 04-18-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I noted the link was from an organization with an axe to grind, including this hyperbolic statement"|:

in 1999 when Hurricane Floyd hit the state, the Tar, Neuse,

hyperbole = exaggerated.....guess you'd have to ask the poor folks downstream if it was exaggerated.

Floyd aftermath photos.

Hurricane Matthew article

I don't know anyone who would think that hog manure lagoons located within flood zones would be a good idea.

That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Regards
Gemstone1
Quote:
Hurricane Floyd was a bad actor. It produced flooding not seen in North Carolina in a few hundred years. But it was not a surprise.

from your first link. How could something that hadn't happened for a few hundred years be anything BUT a surprise?

That's clearly hyperbole from the source.

After Floyd, a lot of effort was spent removing lagoons from flood zones. Did your links not tell you that?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
from your first link. How could something that hadn't happened for a few hundred years be anything BUT a surprise?
How about the second event less than 20 years later? Still surprised?

Quote:
After Floyd, a lot of effort was spent removing lagoons from flood zones.
Not nearly enough effort, however.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM

the number of swamped lagoons was tallied at 14 total after Matthew by every source I've seen from both sides of the coin.

15% isn't "nearly all". That's my point. If a summer thunderstorm produced 2%, that would be too much, because it meant negligence in either law or implementation. But an unheard-of event doesn't mean those things. Was there significant and short-term destruction from Floyd? Absolutely. Is the aftermath of Floyd harming our environment still today? If yes, then we should have spent more money cleaning it up then. Of course I'd agree to that.

Whether I'm a Realtor in Raleigh has less to do with it than being a lifelong state resident, and someone who suffered property loss because of Floyd. Certainly since I don't sell homes in the eastern part of the state, I have nothing to gain economically. Pray tell us how you earn your living, and how long you've lived in the eastern part of the state.

But from my perspective - and the perspective of many - there's a lot of extremist positions from the "left" on issues like this. Most riverkeepers and Southern Environmental Law Center folks (like Ms Nowlin) I've read from want zero waste, and that's not realistic (even from your and my waste, 60-some million gallons of which spilled during Matthew). Conversely, those that disagree with them are said to want the planet ruined, babies killed, and the aged euthanized. Why must we paint each other on the fringes?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
15% isn't "nearly all". That's my point. If a summer thunderstorm produced 2%, that would be too much, because it meant negligence in either law or implementation. But an unheard-of event doesn't mean those things. Was there significant and short-term destruction from Floyd? Absolutely. Is the aftermath of Floyd harming our environment still today? If yes, then we should have spent more money cleaning it up then. Of course I'd agree to that.
I already stipulated 15% (and thats one area, by the way) isn't "nearly all", so there's no point in bringing it up. And you are just making up the 2% number; I'm not at all interested in dealing with your uninformed hypotheticals. And we've now had 2 "unheard of events" in 20 years. Maybe we should start listening?

Quote:
But from my perspective - and the perspective of many - there's a lot of extremist positions from the "left" on issues like this. Most riverkeepers and Southern Environmental Law Center folks (like Ms Nowlin) I've read from want zero waste, and that's not realistic (even from your and my waste, 60-some million gallons of which spilled during Matthew). Conversely, those that disagree with them are said to want the planet ruined, babies killed, and the aged euthanized. Why must we paint each other on the fringes?
LOL, talk about hyperbole. Anyway, here's the deal with you as I see it. You are obviously very right wing, politically, and you always bring every discussion back to a political point of view, even when the issues aren't, or shouldn't be political. And you always attempt to deflect from your true views by cloaking yourself in some sort of veil of moderateness, as if that just absolves you from any responsibility to take a stand or makes you above criticism. It doesn't.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM

62 posts, read 131,243 times
But there's even more chickens & turkeys...unregulated.
Fields of Filth: Landmark Report Maps Feces-Laden Hog and Chicken Operations in North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina