Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Do you know how many companies go bankrupt over $7.25?
No idea. How many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:00 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No idea. How many?
Enough that you hear major store closing on the news every week.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
The best economy is one in which there are many middle wage jobs. Not a few well paid and a bunch minimum wage. That is middle ages stuff.

It's also an economy where our trade is at least neutral. Germany has high wages and a high standard of living yet their economy is excellent - because they have a net positive trade imbalance. More money comes into Germany than leaves it. This makes the citizens richer at the detriment to the rest of the world.

That's fine, Germans are very smart people and work hard.

America enjoys a HALF TRILLION DOLLAR negative trade imbalance. America used to have a net positive trade imbalance as well. It made our middle class what is used to be (50's/60's). That is a giant sucking black hole on our economy.

Did you know 1:10 households in the US have over a million in assets? That's quite a bit of households. However the rest of the 9:10 have very little if anything to their names. It's very said.

I'm perfectly fine not increasing min wage. It's an artificial crutch that hides the real problem (too much labor and not enough jobs). Fix the trade imbalance and the min wage issue will solve itself. Yet just like healthcare, no politician wants to touch the trade imbalance because it means prices will rise.

PS I've been preaching about the trade imbalance for almost a decade. Has nothing to do with Trump.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
If we really are truly concerned about the plight of the low wage community, we need to be more aware about the policies of where we shop. In the Hickory are, market forces are preempting minimum wage: McDonald's has gone to $8-8.50, the Wendy's across the street is now $8.50. Most retail department store chains are going $10, even Sheetz advertises $8.50 with an automatic raise to $9 after 90 days. I get $11 at my retail job, it is plenty to cover my mortgage on my 12 year old ranch on 5 acres and allow me a nice low milage Buick and covers my budget just fine. Now, my point here is, if you really care, there are some companies whose policy is to NEVER, NEVER go past minimum, let's make a list.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
If we really are truly concerned about the plight of the low wage community, we need to be more aware about the policies of where we shop. In the Hickory are, market forces are preempting minimum wage: McDonald's has gone to $8-8.50, the Wendy's across the street is now $8.50. Most retail department store chains are going $10, even Sheetz advertises $8.50 with an automatic raise to $9 after 90 days. I get $11 at my retail job, it is plenty to cover my mortgage on my 12 year old ranch on 5 acres and allow me a nice low milage Buick and covers my budget just fine. Now, my point here is, if you really care, there are some companies whose policy is to NEVER, NEVER go past minimum, let's make a list.
I made $10/hr in 1999 working in the back of a grocery store in receiving. It was in a (fairly) low cost of living area of the country with low taxes (no state income tax, no sales tax).

Adjusted for inflation that is almost $15/hr (!).

Here's the kicker. I was in 10th grade! High school! I had zero bills except paying gas for my car, which cost $13 to fill up at the time (gas was well under $1/gal). I made $350/week after taxes. I saved a lot of money!

So yes, it's true not a ton of people actually make 'min wage'. But even a few dollars an hour more isn't really that much in the big scheme of things.

But really it's all just a distraction. The biggest issue we face is too much labor chasing too few good jobs.

FIX THE TRADE IMBALANCE and all the other issues will sort themselves out. You won't need min wage laws because people will be able to leave their job and bring their experience to another employer. It's happening now in the lower rings of my industry. Starting pay has gone from the low-$20,000 range to upwards of $60,000 in less than two years due to a lack of supply of labor.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
California restaurants are closing or people just don't frequent them as much because people won't pay the increases in prices to offset the hike in minimum wage. Tips have also gone down quite a bit. A cheese steak sandwich here is now $15!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Crime pays better than a lot of minimum wage jobs. The ghetto kids pulling in $500 a night, selling drugs to rich suburban kids are not going to care whether Mickey D's is paying $10 or $15 an hour.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
California restaurants are closing or people just don't frequent them as much because people won't pay the increases in prices to offset the hike in minimum wage. Tips have also gone down quite a bit. A cheese steak sandwich here is now $15!
I don't tip when I eat in CA. I always do pickup though. I also try to eat at grocery stores more often. I think you can blame the high costs in CA on many things not just higher wages. Labor is generally a minority component in business' operating costs out there. Lots of red tape, taxes, property costs/rent, a very unfriendly business state.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:39 PM

241 posts, read 338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The best economy is one in which there are many middle wage jobs. Not a few well paid and a bunch minimum wage. That is middle ages stuff.

It's also an economy where our trade is at least neutral. Germany has high wages and a high standard of living yet their economy is excellent - because they have a net positive trade imbalance. More money comes into Germany than leaves it. This makes the citizens richer at the detriment to the rest of the world.

That's fine, Germans are very smart people and work hard.

America enjoys a HALF TRILLION DOLLAR negative trade imbalance. America used to have a net positive trade imbalance as well. It made our middle class what is used to be (50's/60's). That is a giant sucking black hole on our economy.

Did you know 1:10 households in the US have over a million in assets? That's quite a bit of households. However the rest of the 9:10 have very little if anything to their names. It's very said.

I'm perfectly fine not increasing min wage. It's an artificial crutch that hides the real problem (too much labor and not enough jobs). Fix the trade imbalance and the min wage issue will solve itself. Yet just like healthcare, no politician wants to touch the trade imbalance because it means prices will rise.

PS I've been preaching about the trade imbalance for almost a decade. Has nothing to do with Trump.
I've never heard this theory. Can you tell me more? I agree that there seems to for more labor than available work. And the barriers of entry to industry make it a challenge for entrepreneurs to create jobs.

I believe no American should have to make a choice between buying medication or food, but I know some folks who do just that. That just doesn't feel very patriotic or Christian, IMO. You bring up a good point about Germany. I know they pay a significant portion of their incomes in taxes. They have less disposable income than Americans. However, if you think about how much education and healthcare debt increases inequality in the US thus destabilizing the economy, does it really matter? I mean if I could get a quality education and healthcare from higher taxes, what's so wrong with that if it works. I find that countries with strong social safety nets are often far less populated and far more homogeneous than America.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:41 PM

241 posts, read 338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Crime pays better than a lot of minimum wage jobs. The ghetto kids pulling in $500 a night, selling drugs to rich suburban kids are not going to care whether Mickey D's is paying $10 or $15 an hour.
Don't forget about the rural kids cooking meth to make ends meet, as well. Those folks aren't in an area where the minimum wage is likely to get any where near $10 or $15 a hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina