Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 44,605 times

Advertisements

looking for any info on great towns in n.c. nothing in the triangle.im a 33 yrold guy with a great wife and two lt. girls.towns with top schools for my girls and for my wife to look for work be great too. wifes a teacher in elementry school here in jersey..with taxes and crime and home prices we looking to make a few visits to n.c. between now and next year.here i gotta 800sqft home that cost 3800.a year taxes and they bus in the city kids and illegals to the schools . so its another11,000 a year for private school. we are looking for towns which are free of "transports" or yankys.we are country at heart and looking to fit in. we are not your typical yankys.any info be great.in helping me get my god loving little family outta hell jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
It's "yankees", not "yankys". Delaware is closer and has some of the lowest property taxes anywhere, safe places to live, loads of tax refugees from Jersey, and no sales tax. The state income tax is quite moderate.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
we are looking for towns which are free of "transports" or yankys.
Hmm, would-be Northern transplants looking for a place free of transplants and Northerners, interesting...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Do you have a job lined up for yourself? Do you work from home?

Your wife can use the website for NC teachers (I forgot what it is, but google will help) to find out where openings are and what the requirements are for a NC credential.

Start looking at the areas where you think she might get a job. Use city-data to get the kind of information that is important to you. Think about whether you want to be in a small town, a rural area, or a city. Then ask on this forum for more information, once you have figured out what you're really looking for. (If it's just for low taxes, there are better places to look.)

Then one of your visits can be her interview/job fair trip.

Teaching jobs are not easy to find right now, and teachers don't a lot of money here.

If you find a place that doesn't welcome transplants, the natives probably won't welcome you, either. You might not feel like a transplant, but you will be.

We are from the west and have found people friendly and welcoming. We live in a rural area with few newcomers - but the nearby cities have plenty of them.

Also, you don't have to hate yankees to be accepted here.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,364 times
Ok I dont think its a good idea because the state goverment is really messed up right now. The state goverment doesnt even know what they are doing wrong or even know how to handle a problem. The only thing they do is tax you to death. I might be over-dramatizing it but thats just the way I feel right now.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
kelticink, I've considered moving to NC myself (to the Triangle in the case of my partner and myself) and that might happen in a couple years when/if the real estate market sufficiently recovers, so I'm not here just to troll for Delaware. However, I did wonder why you are seemingly overlooking a neighboring state with a very low tax burden and many small town communities. Delaware is democrat-controlled these days, but seems soundly committed to living within its means -- keeping taxes low on the citizens of the state while providing a basic level of consumer-friendly services seems to be a really ingrained value here. I can tell you honestly from comparisons that the taxes in DE are way lower than in NC. My own interest in moving to the Triangle really has to do with wanting to be in a larger metro area with a decided liberal orientation but warm(er) weather, while still being on the east coast. So I also understand that tax issues don't override everything else. However, you might really want to give DE some serious consideration and your wife could check out school districts here relatively easily. Middletown is a growing community that is still small town and located in lower New Castle County (the most northerly of the three counties). You might like it around Dover (Kent County), perhaps in the little towns of Camden or Wyoming. Anyway, you might want to spend some time as well over on the DE forum.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM

thanks so much, and i didnt mean any harm in the "yankee" term. im sorry if anybody was hurt by that.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hmm, would-be Northern transplants looking for a place free of transplants and Northerners, interesting...
im guessing you either are a transplant or have never lived in north or central jersey.most people in jersey call the triangle area of nc.{south jersey}.each their own and i am nobody to be judging others. i myself just am not looking to move my family 10-12hrs away or more.to be in a town of new york or new jersey transplants. but just have nicer weather same attitudes.and sorry for everyone having to deal with my spelling.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM

doctorjeff..thanks so much for the eye opening on de.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelticink View Post
im guessing you either are a transplant
Guess again--I am a lifetime North Carolinian, all too familiar with how many tranplants are here and still coming by the swarm.

i myself just am not looking to move my family 10-12hrs away or more.to be in a town of new york or new jersey transplants. but just have nicer weather same attitudes. [/quote]

So why are you set on NC, in particular, since yes, our fine state does seem to be in the crosshairs of NJ/NY/Long Island for some reason? You actually might want to look at some places in South Carolina, not quite as transplant-heavy (yet). Columbia is kind of like Raleigh before the explosive growth of the past 15 years or so, and SC in general sounds a little more like what you describe as your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina