Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 18,308 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to NC, and I'm looking for suggestions on what areas to look at. I currently live in Western PA outside of Pittsburgh. My mother(who will be moving with me) and I decided on NC because it seems like a good compromise between not having to deal with harsh winters but still wanting some change of seasons, and it's a good midpoint between my brother in Georgia and my sister in PA. We like it where we are now, but just don't want to deal with cold, snowy winters anymore.

I lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia for about a year, and I didn't like it. A lot of that had to do with the topography. It was just too flat for me. If anyone can point me to an area of NC that has something approaching the hills and sometimes winding roads I'm used to in PA that would be awesome. I like to go for drives in rural areas, but long stretches of straight road get boring. I'm guessing this might rule out the coastal region? Neither one of us cares about being near the beach, so that's not an issue for us.

We are planning to start a bakery after we move. It will be a home based internet business to start, so the area isn't crucial, but we hope to open a physical location within five years and would prefer not to have to move when we do. We don't really want to live in a big city, so we're trying to find something in close proximity to a city that would be able to support a bakery.

Of course, it's unlikely we'll be able to support ourselves on that, so an area with a good job market would be nice. The specific industry isn't very important to her. She did medical transcription for many years, and has worked in a variety of office support/admin roles. So her experience should translate to any office environment pretty well. My main experience is in background screening. I'm not sure what other industries that could translate to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for towns or areas to visit and look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
You might want to look at Winston-Salem and/or some of the smaller towns to the north and west of there like Mt. Airy, Mocksville, Elkin or North Wilkesboro.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 AM

511 posts, read 510,926 times
I would also say look in the Winston-Salem area. It's not too far east so it's an easy drive down to GA or up to Western PA. Kinda hilly in that area and it seems like a better place to start a bakery and has a stronger job market than some of the smaller towns in the foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina