Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times

Advertisements

I'm taking your share of mosquito bites. Picked up a good dozen or so today.

I know several people who don't get mosquito bites and I'm more than a bit envious of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 03:28 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
This thread is honestly the first time I've ever heard someone wonder why there are no mosquitoes in North Carolina.

The only area I've actually noticed the absence of mosquitoes in NC is right at the ocean. It may be a very different story in the swampy areas several miles inland, but right on the beach, they are absent.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM

36 posts, read 63,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I'm taking your share of mosquito bites. Picked up a good dozen or so today.

I know several people who don't get mosquito bites and I'm more than a bit envious of them

It's not that I don't get bitten. I get swarmed when I go back to Canada to visit. It's that mosquitoes, at least around Chapel Hill, don't exist. You never even see one flying in the air outside. In fact, you don't see any flying insects at all, at least in the cities in NC. My dad commented how we drove all the way from Chapel Hill to Wilmington and back in a day and there was not a single bug splatter on the windshield. And this was during the summer.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
They do too exist in Chapel Hill as several folks have already mentioned. We live here and we get bitten all summer long. Maybe they aren't at your house, but they're at mine! Lots of flying things, too. My cat loves to try to catch them. She's partial to moths, but likes anything that flies, ladybugs, bees, butterflies, roaches (eek), cicadas. Had a crane fly in the house last night. Plenty of gnats and the noseeums come out sometimes, too.

I have bug splatter on my windshield all the time.

I don't know if you have a no-bugs here force field around you, but they're here.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that this is the FIRST City-Data thread talking about the LACK of bugs in NC. Usually it's the other way around.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 AM

36 posts, read 63,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They do too exist in Chapel Hill as several folks have already mentioned. We live here and we get bitten all summer long. Maybe they aren't at your house, but they're at mine! Lots of flying things, too. My cat loves to try to catch them. She's partial to moths, but likes anything that flies, ladybugs, bees, butterflies, roaches (eek), cicadas. Had a crane fly in the house last night. Plenty of gnats and the noseeums come out sometimes, too.

I have bug splatter on my windshield all the time.

I don't know if you have a no-bugs here force field around you, but they're here.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that this is the FIRST City-Data thread talking about the LACK of bugs in NC. Usually it's the other way around.
There are bugs. There are tons of cockroaches, which is gross. I'm convinced NC sprays poison to kill mosquitoes to control Zika virus. The cockroaches are probably the only thing that survives it.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Why are you convinced of that?

There are a few municipalities in the state that do or have had a spraying program, but it's done from trucks and they certainly don't do it in Chapel Hill. That would be against everything Chapel Hill stands for. Why don't you tell us about where you live? That might give some insight into why you're not seeing mosquitoes. If you live in an apartment complex off 54, well, yeah, that's not prime mosquito habitat. The species that are down here like it shady.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
It's a local thing, no matter where you are in the continent. I usually am not bothered by mosquitoes but I'm halfway up a hill. If I go to a park in the flood plain a few blocks away, we have them. My hunting lease near Greenville has them really bad. If you aren't in a low spot and have a breeze, it's generally a non issue.

I used to camp in SE Minnesota at a state park with no skeeters. It was bluff country and there was no still water around for them to breed in.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:41 PM

339 posts, read 318,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This thread is honestly the first time I've ever heard someone wonder why there are no mosquitoes in North Carolina.

The only area I've actually noticed the absence of mosquitoes in NC is right at the ocean. It may be a very different story in the swampy areas several miles inland, but right on the beach, they are absent.
The worst I've ever been eaten up by 'skeeters was while camping at the coast ON the beach!
( Hatteras area and Ocracoke, to name a couple. )
Yes, NC has their share of skeeters for sure though, from the mountains to the coast.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
The worst I've ever been eaten up by 'skeeters was while camping at the coast ON the beach!
( Hatteras area and Ocracoke, to name a couple. )
Yes, NC has their share of skeeters for sure though, from the mountains to the coast.
Hmm, that's interesting. I suppose, like some of the other posts mention, it could vary from beach to beach. I personally haven't seen many, if any, mosquitoes (or many other bugs for that matter) right on the beach at NC beaches (specifically the New Hanover Co. beaches).

Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 AM

37 posts, read 39,164 times
[quote=Archer705;48370342]Never been bit by a mosquito here near south Fayetteville[/QU

I have to spray Off on before I go outside here in Fayetteville, even to check the mail. I get bitten up bad, and some of the bites swell up or turn into huge welts. One of my kids has the same problem. We were in Zebulon last weekend and got bitten up bad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina