Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

A grocery-anchored retail center is proposed for the southeast quadrant at the intersection of Rockfish Road and King Road in the Fayetteville community in Cumberland County, North Carolina. The site would have to be annexed into the City of Fayetteville to obtain sewer service.

The City of Fayetteville's Zoning Commission, despite opposition from city planners against rezoning the site from residential to commercial, voted 3-2 for City Council to approve the case.

Further reading
Barksdale, Andrew. "Third grocery store near Jack Britt High School proposed." The Fayetteville Observer. 1 June 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 13,201 times
I don't know if the council will approve this with so much neighborhood opposition. Personally, I agree that that area is way too congested, with all the roads being only two lanes. Even if it stays residential and is developed, though, traffic will still be a nightmare due to the ingress/egress of the parcel at the intersection of Stoney Point/Rockfish/Lakewood/King. As far as the actual shopping center, I haven't seen any drawings, but the shape of the parcel is kinda strange for an entire shopping development - the road frontage is insufficient, imo.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Are there long-term plans to improve Rockfish Road, King Road, Stony Point Road, and Lakewood Drive?

In regards to a prospective grocery participant, the presence of a pharmacy drive thru and the presence of a fuel station could indicate who may be coming. Supermarket Publix is including pharmacy drive thru at most of its new stores, and its does not have fuel centers. Supermarket Walmart Neighborhood Market has both pharmacy drive thru and fuel centers at most new stores. Walmart is not opening many Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets, Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets, and Sam's Club wholesale clubs.

Supermarkets Food Lion #2187, Rockfish Commons, 5555 Waldo's Beach Road, Fayetteville, North Carolina 28306-5505; and Harris Teeter #393, Traemoor Village, 3050 Traemoor Village Drive, Fayetteville, North Carolina 28306; are in the trade area.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM

I'm not aware of any plans for improvements in the area, which is a shame. I know Camden Rd will be widened through to the interchange with I-295, and the same should be done with Stoney Point Rd even though it won't have an interchange.

Someone in the comments on the Observer article mentioned rumors that it would be a Publix, which makes sense with HT right across the street. Publix is building their first store right down the street from the other HT in Fayetteville, on Raeford Rd. I also wonder if it could be an Aldi's, since they're currently expanding in Fayetteville as well, but I'm not sure the market area is appropriate for Aldi's, since it's a pretty high(er) income area.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Supermarket Publix is my initial guess to be the projected grocer of the proposed retail center. It could easily locate in trade areas in Cumberland County previously served by supermarket BI-LO.

Limited assortment/discount grocer Aldi would be better suited for Raeford Road.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:12 PM

926 posts, read 827,755 times
I'm thinking either Publix or Fresh Market.

I wish they would build a 3rd grocery store here in the Black and Decker/Gillespie area.
We got WalMart Supercenter from 2016 and a Food Lion. I'd like a more high end grocery store though i.e Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, Publix in this area. The Mega Harris Teeter on Ramsey street is delayed due to their loss; so they might not risk putting a HT on Black and Decker unfortunately.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:36 PM

I think the trade area could see another supermarket instead of a hypermarket, a limited assortment/discount grocer, or a specialty organic/gourmet grocer.

I have read the Harris Teeter proposed at Shoppes at King's Grant is on hold, not canceled. (Harris Teeter's parent company, the Kroger Company, reduced new store openings in 2017 by 35 percent.)

Old 06-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Controversial plan for grocery store near Jack Britt tabled

The property owners pulled the rezoning petition in order to "refine their plans and resubmit them in the coming months with more information." Apparently, the new plans will include the grocery store that will go there, but I still don't like it due to the traffic issues, and there's not a lot they can do about that honestly.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Resubmitted plans should have a detailed site plan focused on a grocery anchor and traffic improvements directly relevant to Rockfish Road and King Road.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think the trade area could see another supermarket instead of a hypermarket, a limited assortment/discount grocer, or a specialty organic/gourmet grocer.

I have read the Harris Teeter proposed at Shoppes at King's Grant is on hold, not canceled. (Harris Teeter's parent company, the Kroger Company, reduced new store openings in 2017 by 35 percent.)
For some strange reason Harris Teeter has experienced unexpected delays with some of their previously announced major store developments. Not only the superstore in Fayetteville, but also large flagship stores in Greenville, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina