U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville, FL is a very low hurricane-prone area in FL due to its geography (the Atlantic storms either turn north into NC/SC or south into FL below Jax).

Ironically, you'll find more rednecks in Jacksonville, FL than you will in Charlotte, NC (as a north Florida native, I know of what I speak).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 231,528 times
Although, I have to add, I was quite surprised that I found out that 1st UFC's were in Charlotte!!!! That is really cool. I wish they have stayed there. But on the other hand, we didn't see many places for gyms. I found only 2 boxing gyms. Milwaukee has quite a few and I would really miss a good kickboxing and boxing gym. But I guess you can always find something around.....

And what is up w/ Nascar? How come it's that popular there?

Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default boxing

Boxing gyms must be more of a large-city deal - I work out regularly, but I don't know of any boxing facilities.

NC is the heart of NASCAR. Most of the famous drivers and personalities that built the sport are from NC or the surrounding states, and most of the current race teams are HQ'ed in NC. There are still some small tracks located throughout the state for weekend races - this would be like softball leagues compared to pro baseball - people who will never make the NASCAR circuit, but still like to go out and race.

Those not familiar with NASCAR would be surprised at the money that runs through the NASCAR race teams and the cash (from sponsors and endorsements) it takes to make it in the business.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.

Before we left, I was quite excited about Raleigh especially, but it was complete dissapoitment. I really really really liked Charlotte, downtown is beautiful, weather was great, very colorful, tasteful, many places to see, many places to go to.

Then Raleigh..... totally empty downtown. So small, nothing really around. Driving is not THAT bad, as people always say, but it wouldn't hurt to post a few more street signs and such.

Durham was even worse - absolutely nothing to see or do. I left as quickly as I could.

New Bern was cute, but quite small. It's a nice historic place to visit, but not to stay.

There, you have it now from me, my sincere thoughts.

I thought about relocating to NC, but after a visit, Charlotte would be the only option. However, I'm continuing my research, more south, as I really like to live aroud palms, which you cannot find even on coast of NC.

Thanks!
I agree with you. I was told 7 years ago N.C. was the place to go. I was so disappointed with what I saw. I only saw Raleigh Cary and apex. I thought and this was 7 years ago how high the home prices were. Anyway I ended up in Florida, but am looking at South Carolina.

judy

Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,076,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzM
I live in Florida. I hate palm trees. With palm trees you get Palmetto Bugs. These are like roaches hit with a dose of radiation! yuck!

I will take a Tulip Tree, Maple, Oak, even a pine tree over a palm anyday.

You can have mine! Come dig them up!!!
I have heard about Palmetto bugs! Eeewww! I can't imagine how big they must be and I don't want to find out either. We have little ole brown June Bugs here in So Cal and I freak out with those. I don't do crunchy bugs. Of course that doesn't stop my husband from throwing grasshoppers at me! Ok he only did that once but he laughed the hole time it flew after me.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
Boxing gyms must be more of a large-city deal - I work out regularly, but I don't know of any boxing facilities.

NC is the heart of NASCAR. Most of the famous drivers and personalities that built the sport are from NC or the surrounding states, and most of the current race teams are HQ'ed in NC. There are still some small tracks located throughout the state for weekend races - this would be like softball leagues compared to pro baseball - people who will never make the NASCAR circuit, but still like to go out and race.

Those not familiar with NASCAR would be surprised at the money that runs through the NASCAR race teams and the cash (from sponsors and endorsements) it takes to make it in the business.
Bring back Rockingham! What a great track, we were lucky enough to attend a race at The Rock and it was a blast. Also have been to the 600, don't sit too close to the track unless you like to wear marbles, made that mistake once! Also attended Speed Street in downtown Charlotte lots of fun. We are in the process of selling in So Cal and heading to Charlotte and all I can say is...those darn open houses on Sunday's are really interupting my NASCAR viewing!

Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
You also left out a huge chunk during your trip to NC. NC goes another 250 miles to the west of Charlotte to the TN border. Asheville is the biggest city in the western part with a population around 70,000. No palm trees here, only mountains reaching to 6,684 feet above sea level.

This Asheville home is NOT for sale.

http://www.biltmore.com/images/home/nonflash_pic.jpg (broken link)
Love The Biltmore Estate, went at Christmas time and can hardly wait to go back as we didn't get to tour the gardens. The winery was really nice as was the wine tasiting room. Although didn't sample too much as I had taken cold medicine.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Bring back Rockingham! What a great track, we were lucky enough to attend a race at The Rock and it was a blast. Also have been to the 600, don't sit too close to the track unless you like to wear marbles, made that mistake once! Also attended Speed Street in downtown Charlotte lots of fun. We are in the process of selling in So Cal and heading to Charlotte and all I can say is...those darn open houses on Sunday's are really interupting my NASCAR viewing!
Interesting. I never though much of Rockingham. I've also been to Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Watkins Glen, North Wilksboro and Charlotte. Never was in the stands though. I had a friend who worked for RJR who always got me a photographer pit pass when Winston was the sponsor. The best seat is still in front of the TV, in my opinion. Don't forget a trip to the Richard Childress Vineyards in Lexington, NC. the next time.

removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2006 at 04:19 AM..

Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Interesting. I never though much of Rockingham. I've also been to Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Watkins Glen, North Wilksboro and Charlotte. Never was in the stands though. I had a friend who worked for RJR who always got me a photographer pit pass when Winston was the sponsor. The best seat is still in front of the TV, in my opinion. Don't forget a trip to the Richard Childress Vineyards in Lexington, NC. the next time.

removed
Yes, I remember watching something that mentiond the Childress Vineyards. I will put it on my to do list (which is huge now). We did head down (or up?) to Welcome to go through RCR and the Thomasville Outlet. I also shoot photography! How awesome that you got photographer pit passes. I don't like to photograph people at all. I love to shoot the old barns and abandoned houses, etc. My husband and his friends race go carts and I went and shot them last time they raced at Cal Speedway. It was so fun, I was in the pits and it was strange looking into the huge empty grandstands. Of course watching my husband going 80 mph on the front straight a way with our friends inches behind was a little scary. Like my hubby said "you could have thrown a blanket over us" that's how close they were. We all walked up the embankment after the races too, I was in 7th heaven. I shot some great photo's and can hardly wait to enlarge and frame them. I have been entering our local Orange County Fair for the last 8 years, it is a juried competition and I throughly enjoy it. Looking to do more with more photography when I get back to NC.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 24,683 times
Silverwing,

Can you tell me your impressions of Southern Pines, Fayetteville and Asheboro? These are areas I'm looking into moving to (especially Asheboro)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina