U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 AM

787 posts, read 2,369,533 times
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.

You missed Wilmington, Asheville, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and if Raleigh is as far west you got, you missed nearly 1/4 of the state altogether, the mountains. But I strongly suspect that we don't have what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,462 times
Default Orlando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
you didn't seem to research NC very carefully before you started dreaming your palm tree and big city plans.

North Carolina is a state with a great variety of natural beauty. Mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches. The climate is temperate not typical of where one would expect to find palms. Four distinct seasons with beautiful fall foliage, areas of moderate snowfall and hot summers.

if you are someone looking for metro areas and palm trees try Orlando. It is a great place for people who need constant barrages of entertainment thrown at them because they don't know how to find beauty and satisfaction in nature
Oh no, don't go for Orlando unless you are just visiting. Not much here unless you are a tourist.. If considering FL, go for the Tampa metro area..

Old 04-29-2006, 01:28 PM

110 posts, read 1,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla
Oh no, don't go for Orlando unless you are just visiting. Not much here unless you are a tourist.. If considering FL, go for the Tampa metro area..
I agree. And if you do come to Orlando. Stick to the Park areas on the southwest side... Disney, Universal, etc.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 AM

29 posts, read 174,882 times
I'm actually currently looking into that area. Charleston sounds great, but I have to research more about their earthquakes. My god, it's always something, isn't it. They dont' seem to be hit by hurricanes.

But I have to research more on Columbia. I haven't done that yet. Thanks for the advise, though.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM

787 posts, read 2,369,533 times
Don't forget to ask people in Charleston about Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I guess that is pretty good odds of not getting another major one if that is the only one they have had since 1989, but I don't think that Charleston is that safe from Hurricane Season that starts a month from today.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 AM

well, guys thanks for all info. I guess people that are interested in NC are also looking into SC and norther FL. I guess they all seem like nice areas.

Someone posted earlier about rednex in FL, and I believe that. Due to my work, I'm in contact w/ Jacksonville a lot, but man, I did not expect that much of southern accent there! Oh, well.

The bottom line is I have to go there to see it, as towns and cities are similar, but I guess I'm really picky about climate and pollution. Tampa is extremly polluted, I could not believe. I'm surprised. On the other hand, Miami is totally not. Who would guess.

Thinking of big cities they scare me, but as I have visited smaller ones, they seem to small. I guess what I'm looking for is about 500,000 - 800, 000. I gotta check Columbia, SC as it's not that far from the coast, but far enough not to get hurricanes.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM

49 posts, read 125,832 times
aleksandra-I, too, feel your pain. I live in CNY and we had 124" snow this yr. If it werent for the snow, I may not consider moving. I am just looking for a friendly community of people who like to spnd time together, having dinner at each others homes, doing things together, walking into town to the local butcher instead of spending 2 hrs at a hufge grocery chain. I love the water and ocean but also love mts and scenery with privacy. I want to live where can go fo long walks without having cars wizzing by and a home where I cannot see anyone elses home from. I want to be able to spend alot of time outdoors and CNY is not that place. Maine is, but they are cold and snowy too. Not sure NC is the place anymore, people say the summers are unbearable like Florida and the other seasons are up and down and hurricanes and hail and winds...flooding too. I give up.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:32 AM

143 posts, read 311,592 times
I will concur that Aleksandra may be more suited to looking at Charleston, SC. I've worked there in July, though, and if you think that Raleigh is humid...

Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 PM

2,472 posts, read 5,681,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I have heard about Palmetto bugs! Eeewww! I can't imagine how big they must be and I don't want to find out either. We have little ole brown June Bugs here in So Cal and I freak out with those. I don't do crunchy bugs. Of course that doesn't stop my husband from throwing grasshoppers at me! Ok he only did that once but he laughed the hole time it flew after me.
Hey there nascarnancy...not sure how to tell you this....but here in the Carolina's they call them Palmetto bugs....in CA we called them cockroaches (American Cockroach), and/or sometimes even waterbugs. Regarding June Bugs there here as well (I don't mind them though) but for me the lightning bugs make up for all the others. Check out the Wikipedia website for more info.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM

crighi - i totally agree 100% w/ everything you said. well, now, let's find that place!!!!

steven w - thanks. i'm looking into that.

comments about bugs - they are EVERYWHERE. if not bugs, then snakes. and don't get me wrong i'm scared of them, but i see bugs everywhere so i guess it's something i need to get used to. hm.... i gotta research about those bugs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina