U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 39,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I have heard about Palmetto bugs! Eeewww! I can't imagine how big they must be and I don't want to find out either. We have little ole brown June Bugs here in So Cal and I freak out with those. I don't do crunchy bugs. Of course that doesn't stop my husband from throwing grasshoppers at me! Ok he only did that once but he laughed the hole time it flew after me.

What do you mean you don't like crunchy bugs? I was in OC in March and coming in one night I stepped on a snail. Sorry in Chicago not used to watching the ground for snails. Not only a crunch but goo all over the bottom of my shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,067,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Hey there nascarnancy...not sure how to tell you this....but here in the Carolina's they call them Palmetto bugs....in CA we called them cockroaches (American Cockroach), and/or sometimes even waterbugs. Regarding June Bugs there here as well (I don't mind them though) but for me the lightning bugs make up for all the others. Check out the Wikipedia website for more info.
Do they fly? Please don't tell me that they fly. I know the water roaches run fast. Eeeww, just getting the willies thinking about it. I am very excited to see the lightning bugs though as the only one's I've seen are hanging in the Pirates of the Carribean at Disneyland, ha ha. OK, I will have to read up on them. If you see a mad woman screaming, waving her arms and running, that will be me! I haven't been to NC in the summer just , May, Oct and Nov. For some reason I get the feeling my husband and his brother aren't giving me the whole story on the bugs, there will be payback for sure!

OK, just checked out Palmetto Bugs on the web, my stomach is in knots and my toes are curled so far under they may never be straight again! I was reading with squinty eyes, I can't even hardly look at them they creap me out so bad. Well DivaLisa I agree, stepping on a snail is no fun, although I can actually pick them up (with my bare hands) just long enough to throw them in the street. If I have to smash a crunchy bug I have to scream so I can't hear it crunch. One night I was fighting off 5 June Bugs in our garage screaming the whole time, I couldn't believe not one of our neighbors came out to see what was happening. My husband (the crunchy bug killer) was away on a business trip at the time. I must proudly say thier were no survivors.

Last edited by Marka; 05-03-2006 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 PM

Location: Hopefully Montana soon. But Prescott, AZ for now.......
13 posts, read 38,614 times
Lightbulb My son lives in New bern........

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.

Before we left, I was quite excited about Raleigh especially, but it was complete dissapoitment. I really really really liked Charlotte, downtown is beautiful, weather was great, very colorful, tasteful, many places to see, many places to go to.

Then Raleigh..... totally empty downtown. So small, nothing really around. Driving is not THAT bad, as people always say, but it wouldn't hurt to post a few more street signs and such.

Durham was even worse - absolutely nothing to see or do. I left as quickly as I could.

New Bern was cute, but quite small. It's a nice historic place to visit, but not to stay.

There, you have it now from me, my sincere thoughts.

I thought about relocating to NC, but after a visit, Charlotte would be the only option. However, I'm continuing my research, more south, as I really like to live aroud palms, which you cannot find even on coast of NC.

Thanks!

My son lives in New bern........ At least he will until college starts. Then Atlanta.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 AM

668 posts, read 1,885,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I am very excited to see the lightning bugs though as the only one's I've seen are hanging in the Pirates of the Carribean at Disneyland, ha ha.
That just made me laugh so hard because that is the only time I have seen them too and to be honest, I never thought I would actually get to see them in real life! Aren't they called fireflies? Or is that the same thing?

I also read that snail comment and had a memory flash back to my Canadian family screaming like crazy and I thought it was something cool and it was over a garden snail?! I thought everyone had snails. I can't count how many I have stepped on barefoot. This is cruel to admit, but when I was a kid we would put salt on them and they would fizzle. They are a menace to your flower gardens.

Thanks for the goodnight laugh

Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 AM

2,657 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue_in_CT
Silverwing,
Can you tell me your impressions of Southern Pines, Fayetteville and Asheboro? These are areas I'm looking into moving to (especially Asheboro)
My apologies for not replying sooner. This board has certainly become more active over the last few weeks

I'm more familiar with Asheboro, that being the place where I have my motorcycle serviced, plus we visit the zoo at least once a year. My impression: I'm not sure what people do there for jobs. I know there is a textile plant there, and some retail. I don't think the city has grown as much as it would have liked, seeing that there is a major attraction in the zoo. It's a dry city; that's what some have blamed the lack of tourist growth on. If schools are a big factor for you, I've talked to several people at the bike shop who are moving away because the schools just aren't to their liking. One fellow I met up with again at a Winston-Salem motorcycle shop, who did move away, gave a terse comment about the state of the schools: "they suck".

Fayetteville is much bigger, but is a military city with Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base in the vicinity. I was looking at the web page for the city http://www.discoverfayetteville.com and see that it might become even more important in the military scheme of things "If a Pentagon proposal is approved, Fort Bragg will become the headquarters for combat-ready Army forces based in the continental United States.

Under the proposal, Fort Bragg would take over Pope Air Force Base, and Forces Command would move to Fort Bragg from Atlanta.

Fort Bragg already is the home of the 18th Airborne Corp and U.S. Army Special Operations Command. Each of those is headed by a three-star general.

Fort Bragg, which has 19 generals, would add eight to 10 generals, said Col. Al Aycock, Fort Bragg's garrison commander. One of those would be a four-star general.
"

I'm thinking that life in a city that is so focused on supporting military families would be different than a civilian dominated city

Southern Pines: nice, but frou-fou (IMO) What would you expect of a golfing town who use llamas as caddies Seriously, I got a "rarefied air" sort of vibe from the place on the day trips we've taken on our motorcycles. One early Sunday morning, we were walking through town and stopped to allow a woman go in front of us to buy a paper at the stand. She was dressed in tweeds. She then looked us up and down (Spouse and I in our motorcycle gear - but it wasn't like we were dressed up in Hell's Angels or even Harley gear ... jeeze), gave a definite *sniff*, tossed her head and strolled back to her Beemer. B* Certainly inspired a prejudice in me.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:14 AM

104 posts, read 388,943 times
Default Expecting too much or different?

Thankfully we don't have the traffic problems of Charlotte statewide and I hope it stays that way because Charlotte traffic is awful. It is going to be different than where you are now if you are looking for congestion. Most people are trying to get away from that though.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 AM

29 posts, read 174,925 times
About the traffic, and driving that is another thing.... in Charlotte, when you're on a large street, that is actually concidered a hwy, but you have tons of stores on the sides, good luck going to one of those stores. You actually have to go to NEXT light, and turn around. From what I've seen, everywhere else, you have little breaks, so that you can access those strip malls. But, that was really bad, i mean it took us extra 7-10 mins to get where we wanted to go.

About bugs, I checked them out online too, and THEY ARE NASTY!!!! But on the other hand, they dont' look any different from bugs that are already around. They are everywhere. I mean, just last summer, I found a HUGE CATEPILLAR in my BATHROOM!!!! In middle of WI!!!! If my husband wasn't there to take care of it, I would have had a heart-attack.

About New Bern, it's ok, it just seemed too small for me, they said around 25000 pple. All I saw were antique shops, really. One next to another, but I guess those are small places like....

Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,067,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
That just made me laugh so hard because that is the only time I have seen them too and to be honest, I never thought I would actually get to see them in real life! Aren't they called fireflies? Or is that the same thing?

I also read that snail comment and had a memory flash back to my Canadian family screaming like crazy and I thought it was something cool and it was over a garden snail?! I thought everyone had snails. I can't count how many I have stepped on barefoot. This is cruel to admit, but when I was a kid we would put salt on them and they would fizzle. They are a menace to your flower gardens.

Thanks for the goodnight laugh
Yes, checked with the husband and fireflies and lightning bugs are the same thing. Glad you got a good laugh out of that.

Yes, I will admit also I have poured salt on snails and still do every once in a while just because. Snails love Marigolds, I planted them on a Saturday and when I went to get the paper Sunday AM all I had were stems! We had them so bad when we first moved into our house for the first month we lived here every weekend we would go out with gloves on and pick them up one by one and throw them away, 100's and 100's of snails. Although we do have the "Killer Snails" that are suppose to kill the regular snails and they don't eat your plants. They have a seashell looking shell.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:37 AM

23 posts, read 39,987 times
The first time hubby took to Cali I made him do the salt thing. I had heard about it but wanted to see it.... now that I think about it that is a little disturbing.
But fireflies, lighting bugs whatever you want to call them...
When we were kids we would catch them pull the lights off and either wear them as glow in the dark jewlery or just smear them on the sidewalk and they glow for a while. So I guess not much better than the salty snail. Though lighting bugs are not really a menice, just fun to smear.
We aren't free from the June bugs though, got them here too.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
gmb

45 posts, read 189,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaLisa
The first time hubby took to Cali I made him do the salt thing. I had heard about it but wanted to see it.... now that I think about it that is a little disturbing.
But fireflies, lighting bugs whatever you want to call them...
When we were kids we would catch them pull the lights off and either wear them as glow in the dark jewlery or just smear them on the sidewalk and they glow for a while. So I guess not much better than the salty snail. Though lighting bugs are not really a menice, just fun to smear.
We aren't free from the June bugs though, got them here too.
Kids can be so gross! That is pretty funny and disturbing about smearing fireflies. I guess every region has their nasty bug tricks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina