U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,229,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
Kids can be so gross! That is pretty funny and disturbing about smearing fireflies. I guess every region has their nasty bug tricks.....
When I was a kid in GA we would pinch the lights off and smear them on our foreheads and run around. Might be a male vrs. female thing, or the fact we didn't have sidewalks or jewlery. Heck, we didn't even have store bought toys, just sticks and bird feathers. :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 24,684 times
Silverwing, Thanks for the info. I've heard some similar type comments about Southern Pines. I don't have kids so schools are not an issue for me. I am a self-employed court reporter so I would be traveling to a deposition location and then finishing the job in my home office. Since the county courthouse is in Asheboro, there's usually several "cluster sites" of law firms nearby.

I'm an animal and nature lover so the Uwharrie National Forest and the zoo are the main reason for my interest in Asheboro. The fact that there's not a lot of business is probably why the real estate is still reasonable so that also works in my favor.

I'd be on the road taking jobs only two days a week so I'm thinking that the areas of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheboro would be reasonable commuting distances for me to take jobs in. Do you happen to know if those are reasonable commutes in terms of time?? (I'm not usually on the roads during "rush hour" times.) The military often subs out some of their court work so I thought being somewhat near it would be a good backup plan if work got slow.

You put a lot of time and effort into your response to my post. Thank you and I really appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:35 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,041 times
Default Asheboro

Asheboro is an excellent central location given your circumstances (schools and a daily commute aren't factors; you love animals and nature).

Asheboro is a short drive to Charlotte, Greensboro, and the Triangle. Greensboro is the closest metro area - only about a half-hour drive due north on Hwy 220; therefore, large malls, shopping, and civilization in general aren't too far away.

My wife, daughter, and I make frequent trips to the zoo. My wife and daughter visit about once per month, and I make it out there about 4-5 times per year. The zoo is a great place to take in the natural beauty of the area, as well as the animals. Like you said, the Uwharrie Forest is right there, too.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,900,209 times
Let me save you time. Cross Phoenix off your list. It's hot over crowed and played out. We don't have a downtown either. I would love to move to NC but reading these post I'm scared of the weather. Tornados scare me more tha anything. At least hurricanes give you a warning. I guess I'm stuck here with the monsoons and I can barely handle that.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Let me save you time. Cross Phoenix off your list. It's hot over crowed and played out. We don't have a downtown either. I would love to move to NC but reading these post I'm scared of the weather. Tornados scare me more tha anything. At least hurricanes give you a warning. I guess I'm stuck here with the monsoons and I can barely handle that.
Tornado activity will depend on the specific region and area of NC. It's a non-issue for many NC residents.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/office/newsletters/1999Spring/tornado_by_county.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-16-2006 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-17-2006, 05:06 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue_in_CT
I'd be on the road taking jobs only two days a week so I'm thinking that the areas of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheboro would be reasonable commuting distances for me to take jobs in. Do you happen to know if those are reasonable commutes in terms of time??
It shouldn't be that bad a commute. You can take the 4-lane I-74/220 north from Asheboro straight to Greensboro, and then west to Winston-Salem, or go west on 2-lane (mostly) 64 to 52 and head north into Winston-Salem. There is also the town of High Point to consider for employment.

If you can find employment in that part of the state, you'll be sparing yourself the madness of the interstate around Raleigh and Charlotte, though Greensboro can be congested at rush hours. Good luck on your choice

Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,545,597 times
"if you are someone looking for metro areas and palm trees try Orlando. It is a great place for people who need constant barrages of entertainment thrown at them because they don't know how to find beauty and satisfaction in nature"

totally untrue. i take offense to that--- parts of central fla are the prettiest in the state. nature trails, lakes, etc... are abundant in some parts of central fla.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,237,628 times
Phoenix gets a heck of a lot hotter than 103. Visit Phoenix one day at rush hour and that'll be the end of that idea.
Take a look at Greenville SC. Nice city and growing rapidly. It still has four seasons but none of which are extreme. I moved to Lenoir NC last year for weather and so far it has been perfect. I am retired so employment isn't an issue. The employment picture locally is not a healthy one.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 AM

483 posts, read 1,448,975 times
Default Where?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaLisa
We aren't free from the June bugs though, got them here too.
Got them where? My family and I will be living in a subdivision in Matthews. Could someone tell me where are these ugly looking things? I also heard that subdivisions generally don't get them but how true is that? I am petrified of anything that looks like a cockroach so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Got them where? My family and I will be living in a subdivision in Matthews. Could someone tell me where are these ugly looking things? I also heard that subdivisions generally don't get them but how true is that? I am petrified of anything that looks like a cockroach so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if these bugs are a type of beetle that we see on the pine trees around here. Well, I should say the skin of the beetle that shed on the pine tree. I don't know that I have actually seen the beetle himself, just his shed skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina