U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM

2,472 posts, read 5,681,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Got them where? My family and I will be living in a subdivision in Matthews. Could someone tell me where are these ugly looking things? I also heard that subdivisions generally don't get them but how true is that? I am petrified of anything that looks like a cockroach so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
here this should keep you guys busy for awhile

http://www.bugfest.org/bugbios.htm (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences)

in regard to cockroaches they like to call them Palmetto Bugs here. The only reason I can think of why subdivisions (Might) have less bugs is that there are less trees?...but you will still have your share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,066,070 times
Quote:
Got them where? My family and I will be living in a subdivision in Matthews. Could someone tell me where are these ugly looking things? I also heard that subdivisions generally don't get them but how true is that? I am petrified of anything that looks like a cockroach so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
June Bugs don't really look like a cockroach. They have a roundish body, brown and unfortunately they fly, pretty stupidly I might add. Their legs are jaggedy and can easily get caught in your hair. Yes, that has happened to me and I was screaming like no tomorrow. I classify them in my crunchy bug category-unsmashable due to crunchy sound, eeeww!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 PM

80 posts, read 347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I wonder if these bugs are a type of beetle that we see on the pine trees around here. Well, I should say the skin of the beetle that shed on the pine tree. I don't know that I have actually seen the beetle himself, just his shed skin.
Those are probably Cicadia that are hatching. Palmetto bugs are like a giant black roach. Nc has more bugs than any state I have been in

Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 412,443 times
I agree with mountain man, I think those are cicada's "shells" from shedding.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 PM

483 posts, read 1,059,478 times
Default What????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
Those are probably Cicadia that are hatching. Palmetto bugs are like a giant black roach. Nc has more bugs than any state I have been in
Okay, you're scaring the heck out of me. Are you saying that I'm going to be seeing a lot of big roach type bugs? You have no idea how PETRIFIED I am of those big things. I had asked the sales manager of our subdivision and the realtor we were with and neither of them mentioned that there was a lot of big big bugs around.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 1,959,433 times
CRIKEY!!!!!!!!! Okay, so when we move to North Carolina, we will be attacked by Ladybugs, flying Palmetto bugs, Junebugs, and assorted other critters? Sounds just like home, except for the Ladybugs. I guess there are worse things in life. Hopefully the Mebane-Raleigh area will get rid of these pests before the move. I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM

2,657 posts, read 4,688,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
Probably this:

I remember finding them as a kid when we visited the grandparents in Arkansas. We'd squabble over who could find the most and decorate ourselves with them Also, sneak up behind the adults and gently place them in their hair, then stand back and snicker as they carried on a ponderous conversation with other adults while their hair was festooned with bug shells Goodness, we were varmints when we were little I guess it was good in the long run; I didn't grow up into an adult who is afraid of critters.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 PM

2,657 posts, read 4,688,538 times
Quote:
Subdivisions generally have fewer bugs. I noticed that in the brief time we were confined to one. Probably because of the general spraying of pesticides dictated by termite control, and the chemicals used by people to keep their lawns healthy and the spraying I see people do around their garages. If you want to see how many bugs you have around your house, leave the porch lights on and see how many congregate. Out here in the country, I fight my way through a blizzard of bugs when I walk out on the porch at night. That's not an issue, we also have bats and swallows, so I see the bugs as their dinner

There are a few bugs I won't tolerate close to the house: roaches, ants and wasps/hornets. Now, if the wasps/hornets want to build on the far side of the garage, fine. However, if they insist on building under a corner of the deck, or close to a door - sorry, they're gonna have to become transplants themselves, and build somewhere else. I'm going to go after them with the hose

Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM

80 posts, read 347,099 times
Quote:
Okay, you're scaring the heck out of me. Are you saying that I'm going to be seeing a lot of big roach type bugs? You have no idea how PETRIFIED I am of those big things. I had asked the sales manager of our subdivision and the realtor we were with and neither of them mentioned that there was a lot of big big bugs around.

I have not seen anything except a few regular roaches in NC mountain areas. I dunno about the rest of the state .

Old 06-02-2006, 06:21 PM

105 posts, read 464,864 times
June bugs are big black beetles, they are harmless and crawl around on the ground in NY. Not a roach, they are a beetle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina