U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:31 AM

38 posts, read 179,037 times

Advertisements

I'm from Clearwater and there are alot of mosquitoes in the summer. There are also roaches, palmetto bugs, spiders, grasshoppers, and many more. But the beaches are georgeous! Bugs shouldn't be anyone's determining factor about where to move. That's what exterminators and bug spray are for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
well I have the lamest reason for choosing charlotte over raleigh- I needed a pro football team
Have you found one yet?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloveantiques View Post
June bugs are big black beetles, they are harmless and crawl around on the ground in NY. Not a roach, they are a beetle.
They are mutant Japanese beetles! Bacillus thurun%$#@**&^ or something like that kills the grubs (imagine maggots on steroids). Carpenter bees are also a joy - look like bees on steroids - bores a perfect 1/4 in hole in wood siding. Sevin dust in the hole takes care of that.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Default Wilmington NC

You should try Wilmington NC...temps in the winter are usually 10 to 15 degrees warmer than Raleigh during the winter. Plenty of palms and beach as well as lots of things to do. Big city feel somewhat without the big city. Check it out, I did I moved from Elkins WV to Wilmington two years ago.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33 View Post
I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.

Before we left, I was quite excited about Raleigh especially, but it was complete dissapoitment. I really really really liked Charlotte, downtown is beautiful, weather was great, very colorful, tasteful, many places to see, many places to go to.

Then Raleigh..... totally empty downtown. So small, nothing really around. Driving is not THAT bad, as people always say, but it wouldn't hurt to post a few more street signs and such.

Durham was even worse - absolutely nothing to see or do. I left as quickly as I could.

New Bern was cute, but quite small. It's a nice historic place to visit, but not to stay.

There, you have it now from me, my sincere thoughts.

I thought about relocating to NC, but after a visit, Charlotte would be the only option. However, I'm continuing my research, more south, as I really like to live aroud palms, which you cannot find even on coast of NC.

Thanks!
EXCELLENT summay. Charlotte is the true GEM of NC for larger cities!

Asheville & Wilmington are very nice too.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 01-18-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
If it's palm trees and daily activities you want, then i would suggest the coastal cities, or the outer banks. Like, Cape Hatteras, Kittie Hawk, Nags Head, or Avon. Plenty of palm trees, and plenty of stuff to do.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
If it's palm trees and daily activities you want, then i would suggest the coastal cities, or the outer banks. Like, Cape Hatteras, Kittie Hawk, Nags Head, or Avon. Plenty of palm trees, and plenty of stuff to do.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 15,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33 View Post
Well, it might be because I expected to see bunch of palms, just like in Florida that I actually got disappointed, and honestly we haven't seen them. Maybe the are a bit more south, but we went to New Bern on coast only.

New Bern is half an hour from the coast. Once you get to Morehead City and Atlantic Beach there are Palmetto Palms everywhere and going South to Wilmington. There are also some isolated Pindo, and California Palms along with a few date palms. Also, when I lived in Morehead City I had banana plants that would fruit every Fall.

Arthur
http://arthur-in-the-garden.com/

Last edited by arthurb3; 02-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina