Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM

29 posts, read 244,739 times

Advertisements

I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.

Before we left, I was quite excited about Raleigh especially, but it was complete dissapoitment. I really really really liked Charlotte, downtown is beautiful, weather was great, very colorful, tasteful, many places to see, many places to go to.

Then Raleigh..... totally empty downtown. So small, nothing really around. Driving is not THAT bad, as people always say, but it wouldn't hurt to post a few more street signs and such.

Durham was even worse - absolutely nothing to see or do. I left as quickly as I could.

New Bern was cute, but quite small. It's a nice historic place to visit, but not to stay.

There, you have it now from me, my sincere thoughts.

I thought about relocating to NC, but after a visit, Charlotte would be the only option. However, I'm continuing my research, more south, as I really like to live aroud palms, which you cannot find even on coast of NC.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 PM

110 posts, read 394,848 times
I beg to differ. You can find plenty of palm trees on the NC coast. I think the type of palm trees you want are in Florida.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 AM

Well, it might be because I expected to see bunch of palms, just like in Florida that I actually got disappointed, and honestly we haven't seen them. Maybe the are a bit more south, but we went to New Bern on coast only.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
You also left out a huge chunk during your trip to NC. NC goes another 250 miles to the west of Charlotte to the TN border. Asheville is the biggest city in the western part with a population around 70,000. No palm trees here, only mountains reaching to 6,684 feet above sea level.

This Asheville home is NOT for sale.

http://www.biltmore.com/images/home/nonflash_pic.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-27-2006 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 PM

110 posts, read 168,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
Well, it might be because I expected to see bunch of palms, just like in Florida that I actually got disappointed, and honestly we haven't seen them. Maybe the are a bit more south, but we went to New Bern on coast only.
I live in Florida. I hate palm trees. With palm trees you get Palmetto Bugs. These are like roaches hit with a dose of radiation! yuck!

I will take a Tulip Tree, Maple, Oak, even a pine tree over a palm anyday.

You can have mine! Come dig them up!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default Nc

If you find Raleigh to be "small", then you're obviously looking for a larger metro area. NC's selling points aren't "if you love Boston, Chicago and New York, you'll looove NC!". And even Charlotte doesn't compare to the true downtown skylines and atmospheres of the largest cities in America.

If you're looking for large, urban, and warmer weather, then check out Atlanta, Miami, Houston, or Phoenix.

Hey mm34b: thanks for posting a pic of my house!

Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
I have recently visited NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, New Bern.... in other words, I've seen NC.
<must not laugh - must not laugh - must not laugh ... oh, shoot >

Have you been to Wilmington or Winston-Salem? Southern Pines, Fayetteville or Forest City? Asheboro, Boone, Brevard or Burlington? We have; either passing through on a motorcycle ride, day trip, or business. This is a very diverse state. You can't just check out the metro areas or the tourist spots and say you've "seen" NC.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 30,144 times
you didn't seem to research NC very carefully before you started dreaming your palm tree and big city plans.

North Carolina is a state with a great variety of natural beauty. Mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches. The climate is temperate not typical of where one would expect to find palms. Four distinct seasons with beautiful fall foliage, areas of moderate snowfall and hot summers.

if you are someone looking for metro areas and palm trees try Orlando. It is a great place for people who need constant barrages of entertainment thrown at them because they don't know how to find beauty and satisfaction in nature

Old 04-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Guys, thanks for all replies. I was laughing so hard about that house comment. I guess I was just expecting too much. After driving down there, we have briefly stopped by a few more towns/cities. And what I have realized is that every American city/town looks very much alike. I mean, if it's not Walgreens, then it's CVS/Pharmacy, if it's not Home Depot, then it's Lowe's, etc.

So before I left I guess I was expecting too much. I've been to Cali before, and Florida, and because those two are so much more different, I guess I expected NC to be quite different as well. But that is the problem. It is really not much different from WI, where I live now. The only difference is weather, which is the 1st reason why we want to move.

So when I went researching, I didn't research for palms, but I looked at the pics, information, what is around to do, etc. Trust me, I did a lot of research. But once I got there, and felt the warmth, I started thinking about palms. For god's sake, we have driven 14 hours!!! I thought the climate changes drastically, but when we got there we saw same nature that we have here. And that is apparently why I got a bit dissapointed as to what I expected to see.

Now comments about Atlanta, Miami, Houston, or Phoenix: I've done research on those too. Atlanta is not my type of city. I've been there, it's quite crowded and a bit polluted. (also my ex lives there and we hate each other), but I'm looking into Savannah.

Miami is great, I've seen it, and not polluted at all, but what when hurricane hits? There is nowhere to run. There is nothing inland Fl but swamps.

Houston is TOO polluted, and Phoenix ave temp in summer is 103, and that is just as bad as winter being cold in WI.

So, I guess I'm at sqare one. Honestly, I would stay in Milwaukee just if it wasn't for this darn winter. I HATE IT. But where to go........

Oh, Orlando is terribly polluted..... National ave is 100, Orlando is at 134. Thanks for advices though. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2006 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 PM

29 posts, read 117,533 times
Have you looked into Columbia, SC or Charleston, SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina