Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 03:36 PM

45 posts, read 41,091 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a physician working in Connecticut and I'm sick of the winters here. I'm looking to relocate somewhere warm. My first choice was Florida, however I'm having a difficult time finding a decent paying job in a nice location. I've been researching the West Coast and also considering the South. I've never visited North Carolina but have driven through it on a couple of road trips from CT to FL and back so don't really know much about the state. The big problem with California is the exorbitant cost of living so I'm having a look at NC and other southern states.

My ideal location would be a small-mid size town on the coast. I definitely don't want to live in a big congested city and have to deal with traffic.

What's the NC coast like? Are there some decent small-mid sized towns on the coast that provide enough entertainment/culture so one would not have to drive to a bigger city every weekend? I've heard that Asheville is such a town but alas it is not on the coast...anything comparable on the coast?

How's the cost of living in NC compared to CT? Right now I'm renting an apartment (2b/1b) on the beach (Long Island Sound) in a small town for $1500 and am living very comfortably. In fact, if it weren't for the winters I would just stay here because the summers in CT are amazing.

How cold does it get in NC on the coast in the winter?

Are there nice beaches in NC comparable to FL?

Is the NC coast prone to storms/tornadoes?

I'm married and no kids yet but they are in the future. Where would you guys suggest is a good place to raise kids?

So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime
- affordable housing (eventually would like to buy some acreage)
- has some culture or at least within driving distance to a city with culture
- great place to raise a family

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
Hello
?
So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime

Thanks!
Yikes. Have you lived in Miami for a full year ?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM

I spent two years there during my fellowship. I know a lot of people complain about the heat and humidity in Miami but I much prefer that to cold winter weather any day. I would assume North Carolina's summers are milder than Florida's but the winters are colder?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Default Looking to re-locate?

Dear physician;
Have you considered Oceanside Ca.? It is beach adjacent, there are non-HOA houses and condos with decent rates. It is close to San Diego, although I heard commuting can be stressful and time-consuming as you would anticipate.
My daughter was on a buying trip to San Diego and fell in love with Oceanside. She has a list of places to consider for permanent residence.
Another area is Lake Tahoe. She's been there several times. I'm from Washington and live here still. I couldn't imagine living elsewhere.
Have you done any checking on Washington state areas like the islands, Whidbey, Bainbridge, Olympic Penninsula( which includes the towns of Forks, Poulsbo, Sequim and Gig Harbor)? Physicians and PA's fare extremely well here in Washington. They make excellent salaries, have the best social contacts of any profession. Washington state is the medical state, IMHO.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Dear physician;
Have you considered Oceanside Ca.? It is beach adjacent, there are non-HOA houses and condos with decent rates. It is close to San Diego, although I heard commuting can be stressful and time-consuming as you would anticipate.
My daughter was on a buying trip to San Diego and fell in love with Oceanside. She has a list of places to consider for permanent residence.
Another area is Lake Tahoe. She's been there several times. I'm from Washington and live here still. I couldn't imagine living elsewhere.
Have you done any checking on Washington state areas like the islands, Whidbey, Bainbridge, Olympic Penninsula( which includes the towns of Forks, Poulsbo, Sequim and Gig Harbor)? Physicians and PA's fare extremely well here in Washington. They make excellent salaries, have the best social contacts of any profession. Washington state is the medical state, IMHO.
Thank you for your suggestions. I had not considered Washington state mainly because of the weather. I'm trying to escape the winters here in the NE and so was looking to move to a warmer state. That said, I've never been to Washington and so all I know about it is what I've read or heard from others. You seem to like it in WA. Tell me more about where you're at. How cold does it get in the winter? What about that rain? I heard that it's cloudy for long stretches of time and that can lead to season affective disorder (S.A.D.) in some people. Perhaps it's not so bad where you're at? Maybe you might convince me to move there!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I had not considered Washington state mainly because of the weather. I'm trying to escape the winters here in the NE and so was looking to move to a warmer state. That said, I've never been to Washington and so all I know about it is what I've read or heard from others. You seem to like it in WA. Tell me more about where you're at. How cold does it get in the winter? What about that rain? I heard that it's cloudy for long stretches of time and that can lead to season affective disorder (S.A.D.) in some people. Perhaps it's not so bad where you're at? Maybe you might convince me to move there!
Western Washington is cloudy, drizzly, and damp far too often for my liking. My sister lives there. Summer is nice.

I like North Carolina well enough, but the summer is a bit hotter and more humid than you're used to. I lived there twice for a total of nine years. Eastern North Carolina. Trust me; it's hot. Winters aren't bad. You need a coat, but the temperature rises above freezing many days. Spring and fall are glorious.

After moving there, the first time I hopped in the car intending to go to the supermarket, the steering wheel was so hot I used oven mitts. Yeah, I did that. First time I went to the beach there, I forgot my flip flops and burned the bottom of my feet. That hurt for days. You can work around that, but there's a learning curve.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Wilmington and the area around it sounds like what you're looking for, or as close as you will find in NC.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 AM

730 posts, read 775,722 times
Culture on the Carolinas' coast? You're pretty well limited to the Charleston area.

Funny story- Wife and I were about to buy a second home to retire to in Hilton Head until her mom asked us, 'I know you love to vacation here but, after the first month or so when you've finished relaxing what are you going to do? Neither of you golf, play tennis, or fish. You two are performing arts and museum urbanites. Are you going to drive to Charleston or Savannah every week?'

Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Culture on the Carolinas' coast? You're pretty well limited to the Charleston area.

Funny story- Wife and I were about to buy a second home to retire to in Hilton Head until her mom asked us, 'I know you love to vacation here but, after the first month or so when you've finished relaxing what are you going to do? Neither of you golf, play tennis, or fish. You two are performing arts and museum urbanites. Are you going to drive to Charleston or Savannah every week?'
Not true. Thriving arts scene in Wilmington:

Arts In Wilmington - Sharing the Arts In Wilmington, North Carolina / An Arts Friendly Community
https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com...ums-galleries/
https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com...-arts-theater/
Theater and Performing Arts Events, Movies and Film in Wilmington NC, Free Movie Showings - Whats On Wilmington - Wilmington, NC Events - Whats On Wilmington

Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 AM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll have to check out Wilmington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina