U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 PM

104 posts, read 542,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
What about all of the immigrants who come here? Whether it be a legal or an illegal immigrant, what's one of the first places they go to? Answer: New York. Why? Because it's the melting pot, the land of opportunity.
I'm not sure that this one has been discussed before here, but NC has more than it's share of Hispanics (most/many are most surely illegals). I understand it is the state with the fastest growing Hispanic population in the nation. The Charlotte Observer did an article a few months back regarding illegals. One of the things it brought out was that there is a bus that leaves Brownsville, TX every day and comes to the square in Charlotte and dumps the illegals with no known means of support. This area really has more than it's share and I am hearing the same from all over the state. I know a person who works for the Dept of Social Services and she says an American can't get in the office for the Hispanics. She also says she is certain most of the documents are fake but her hands are tied. This is a major problem for our country whether it is NY or NC. It is us who are paying the tax dollars and getting taken advantage of. I have absolutely no problem with immigration whether Hispanic or otherwise, but I do have a huge problem with illegals. I think many Americans feel that way too. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything and this is the wrong way! JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 AM

787 posts, read 3,324,200 times
When I was a small child, I was raised on a tobacco farm. And the entire family was expected to participate as soon as they were old enough to help get the crop harvested. My cousins were driving the tractor as young as 6 and 7 to get the crop from the field to the barn. As for myself, I probably started "handing" off the tobacco to the "loopers" when I was about 8-10 or so. I remember when I was 10 they had started using the cart to put the tobacco in that had the wheels in the middle of the cart. Hooked to the tractor, it was level. But once the tractor put it at the barn, you had to place it on sometime to make it stationery. After the cart was empty it was pulled out of the way and allowed to rock like a see-saw. One day, we were in the middle of the morning snacks. Some of the other people were on the lower end and I had sat on the upper end of the cart. Since they were adults, the cart was flat on the ground for them. But when they got up, the cart lost its stablity and it fell to the ground and racked across the lower end of my leg causing a very nasty abrasion and cut. I eventually had to walk home which was a good mile on a busy highway. And it was agony. I think about it now and how dangerous it was to expect a 10 year old to walk on the highway and back home not to mention how badly I was injured. But the immigrants have taken over the farming jobs around here. And I don't think anyone seems to mind. The heat is nearly unbearable. And that is about all most of them are trained for. I have been out of the farming loop for a number of years now but I don't know of any family farms that depends on their family members to harvest anymore. All I know of are the Mexican immigrants that do the work that no one around here wants to do anymore. On Saturdays, they take them to the grocery store by the school bus load full. They usually buy what they need for the up coming week, wire money home via Western Union and use the payphones to call home. I don't know how many of you might remember the plight of the little girl named Jessica that was at Duke. She needed a heart and lung transplant I believe it was but something went terribly wrong and she received the wrong set of organs. She went downhill rapidly and despite the fact they obtained another donar that was a match for her, after the second surgery she died anyway. She was about 17. The contraversy arose after some statements implied that her family might sue Duke. But the kicker was they were in the United States illegally anyway. So that is another problem with illegal immigrants. I say do it the right way if you are going to come here. The biggest problem we have is the birth rate among the illegals. Once they have a child born here, then they are entitled to all kinds of things like food stamps, WIC, medicaid, etc. And it is really taking a toll on the economy.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 AM

Default You are so right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
When I was a small child, I was raised on a tobacco farm. And the entire family was expected to participate as soon as they were old enough to help get the crop harvested...So that is another problem with illegal immigrants. I say do it the right way if you are going to come here. The biggest problem we have is the birth rate among the illegals. Once they have a child born here, then they are entitled to all kinds of things like food stamps, WIC, medicaid, etc. And it is really taking a toll on the economy.
[moderator CUT]

Nothing is harder than raising tobacco. I helped a family member do it for 3 years when I was about the same age you discussed. There were many dangers involved that we didn't know about too. During the time when the tobacco plants are young and they are vulnerable to 'bud worms' we had to go down the row and sprinkle a little arsenic in the bud of each. No one told us that we were exposing ourselves. I now know that you have a lifetime cumulative exposure. So, the arsenic that we (I) was exposed to as a child is still a liability. There is no wonder smokers had health problems. Most farmers did the same thing we did. I absolutely hated raising tobacco. I never got over being nauseous at the smell, expecially during curing and grading.

Last edited by Marka; 05-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: off topic - political issues

Old 05-07-2006, 12:47 PM

787 posts, read 3,324,200 times
You are so right. I watched my father die a little every year until he finally did die of lung related problems brought on by his exposure to tobacco. I was only 14 when he died at the age of 49. And I have some of the same lung issues that he had. The advantage I have is that I have never smoked. But I was exposed to the dangers of the "topping and suckering" tobacco and the tobacco itself almost since I was born. I guarantee you that is the smokers knew about the black gum that comes with tobacco, they would think twice about putting this stuff in their bodies. I wish I had a penny for every article of clothing I ruined while harvesting this crop.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM

192 posts, read 593,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Luckydog,
Maybe some of the NC natives can give us a clearer picture of what behaviors are seen as most obnoxious?

I can't find your original post on this question but I saw where someone else responded to it and I would like to do so to...Thanks for asking.

Carolina Girl....
Wish I could say "you're welcome", but I didn't ask the question. I'm a native. I answered the question (posed by jerseymom, to me). To clarify, here is how that went....

page 6..."Francois" mentioned, or coined (I'm not sure), the term "the yankee factor" (post 53). I responded with what my thoughts were on that term, as a native (post 58). Jerseymom responded to my post 58, and posed the above mentioned question to me (post 60). I answered the question on two posts on page 7 (posts 62 & 63).

Last edited by luckydog; 05-07-2006 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 52,884 times
I live in Wisconsin and am seriously considering a move to North Carolina. The Triad area to be specific. I am not originally from Wisconsin but have lived here for many years. I should have left a long time ago. The research I have done shows that the cost of living is similar to where I am now. I have also found there to be many job opportunities in that area. And lastly, no more looooooong, coooooold winters. And I've heard that people are much friendlier. I recently took a road trip to Florida and I did notice that in the southern states that people were in fact much nicer than here.

Oh yeah, and Wisconsin ranks as one of the highest states (per capita) for alcoholism. Everything that people do here revolves around drinking or going to bars. That is not the life for me.

My hope is that it won't be difficult for a single man in his late 30's to meet and make friends.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:06 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,233,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtogetout
Oh yeah, and Wisconsin ranks as one of the highest states (per capita) for alcoholism. Everything that people do here revolves around drinking or going to bars.
Maybe thats why I thought everyone I met in Germantown, WI was nice. We did do a fair amount of drinking when I was up there.

Also it was the coldest place I have ever been. Even Bellevile, Ont. CA wasn't as cold.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
Carolina Girl....
Wish I could say "you're welcome", but I didn't ask the question. I'm a native. I answered the question (posed by jerseymom, to me). To clarify, here is how that went....

page 6..."Francois" mentioned, or coined (I'm not sure), the term "the yankee factor" (post 53). I responded with what my thoughts were on that term, as a native (post 58). Jerseymom responded to my post 58, and posed the above mentioned question to me (post 60). I answered the question on two posts on page 7 (posts 62 & 63).
I just kept looking for the origin and later I realized you are a native and it wasn't you that asked the question. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtogetout
I live in Wisconsin and am seriously considering a move to North Carolina. The Triad area to be specific. I am not originally from Wisconsin but have lived here for many years. I should have left a long time ago. The research I have done shows that the cost of living is similar to where I am now. I have also found there to be many job opportunities in that area. And lastly, no more looooooong, coooooold winters. And I've heard that people are much friendlier. I recently took a road trip to Florida and I did notice that in the southern states that people were in fact much nicer than here.

Oh yeah, and Wisconsin ranks as one of the highest states (per capita) for alcoholism. Everything that people do here revolves around drinking or going to bars. That is not the life for me.

My hope is that it won't be difficult for a single man in his late 30's to meet and make friends.
You should have not problem meeting people. Just try to remember 'to have a friend you need to be a friend' and you'll be fine. In other words 'be nice'. I am wondering what type work you do as I am surprised to hear that jobs are that plentiful in the triad area. There was lots of unemployment not long ago with RJR and related closings. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Maybe thats why I thought everyone I met in Germantown, WI was nice. We did do a fair amount of drinking when I was up there.

Also it was the coldest place I have ever been. Even Bellevile, Ont. CA wasn't as cold.
There has been significant research done on the correlation between alcoholism and colder climates. That was found to be particularly true in Alaska. I recall that Nome was especially hard hit in that area. I think it may be a way of relieving the depression from the long, indoor seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or