U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM

15 posts, read 52,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
You should have not problem meeting people. Just try to remember 'to have a friend you need to be a friend' and you'll be fine. In other words 'be nice'. I am wondering what type work you do as I am surprised to hear that jobs are that plentiful in the triad area. There was lots of unemployment not long ago with RJR and related closings. Good luck.
Good to know that there should be no problems meeting people. I'm a nice guy, so I don't have to try and be nice--I just am!

I'm in sales. I can pretty much find a job anywhere. It's finding a really good one--that's the challenge!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,590,108 times
needtogetout, what part of WI do you live in? We moved from the Lake Geneva area last year and now live in NC. We really like it here! The people do seem friendlier and winter was much milder than what we're used to. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam
needtogetout, what part of WI do you live in? We moved from the Lake Geneva area last year and now live in NC. We really like it here! The people do seem friendlier and winter was much milder than what we're used to. Good luck with your move!
Green Bay. I hate it here. I'm hoping to have the money together to make my escape by September or October at the latest. What part of NC are you in?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 PM

104 posts, read 111,772 times
My wife and I are thinking of moving to Cary or Holly Springs or even Wake Forest. Were from S. California and are ready to move. How are the schools, jobs, crime, etc?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,590,108 times
We live in Apex right now, outside of Raleigh. We just bought a house about 15 min. south of here, in Holly Springs. It seems the further away you get from Raleigh, the more affordable houses get. I went to a few Packers games in Green Bay but never had a chance to check out the town. Sounds like I didn't miss much, eh? I do love Door County though and we used to "go up north" to Crivitz. I will miss the Wisconsin winters, believe it or not. Although winters in the southern part of the state aren't nearly as bad as where you are.
Good luck with everything! I'm sure you'll really enjoy living in NC.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM

I hope I will enjoy it too. I think just about anything is better than here. Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,911,428 times
Again, such a sweeping generalization is not good to make about any place before you move there. Believe it or not, you will miss certain things about where you are moving from and if you come here expecting it all and for all of your problems to be solved, you will be dissapointed.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm not expecting all my problems to be solved. I'm expecting to move someplace with a better climate and friendlier people. I'm not originally from the town I am currently living in (Green Bay, WI) and I guarantee you there is not one thing I will miss about this town. Not one.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 AM

8 posts, read 29,621 times
Default Rent before you buy

We relocated to NC from Chicago looking for some of the same things you mentioned. Now that we are here, we miss what a big city has to offer. Our suggestion would be for you to rent for a year if you can afford it. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,190,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
We relocated to NC from Chicago looking for some of the same things you mentioned. Now that we are here, we miss what a big city has to offer. Our suggestion would be for you to rent for a year if you can afford it. Better safe than sorry.
Speaking as an “old transplant” (~20 years), I never met another transplant who immediately took to this state. Even if you are leaving an area you consider to be h*ll, you’re going to have your own aggravations here, in the beginning, not to mention missing some of the stuff you left behind. Besides the Big Stuff: new house, new job, getting your kids into different schools, you’re going to have to change your driver’s license, car insurance, find new doctors and dentists that you feel comfortable with … There are going to be foods you won’t find here. I miss toasted meat ravioli. It was a staple back in the St. Louis area – our original home place – but it’s not to be found where we live. All we can find is the cheese and spinach stuff *blech*

People might think they have things organized to make a smooth transition, and look forward to the change, but I predict there’ll be some trauma once they get here and realize what a major life change they’ve made. I hope the people posting questions and asking for advice stick around this board after they arrive and let us know how they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or