U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2006, 03:02 PM

143 posts, read 443,945 times

Advertisements

I just had this email discussion with someone who is looking to leave the town in MA that we just left.

I laid it out for him and stressed that you should be willing to accept the area that you are moving to for what it is, because if we don't we change it from what we wanted to move to in the first place (there's that sentiment again).

I've said it before on this forum: I swear that the only thing I will tell locals here that we did better Up in New England is if I find out that they eat red clam soup and call it "chowder." Or how to "prepay-ah a lobstah"

We've been here for nearly three months now.

What we like/love:

The people. Seriously.
The weather. This will only get better as I hear my friends in MA & NH talking about the snow.
The relative cost of living.
The relative efficiency of government (I know some Tarheels will argue this one )
The fact that I can get out into a real rural area in about 10 minutes.
Proximity to several substantial-sized cities that each have their unique pluses.
The whole culture agrees with us.

What we miss:

our friends. It is hard to start over in your 50's making new friends, no matter how friendly your neighbors are.
Being able to watch all Red Sox games without paying a king's ransom (makes the ones we can see all the much better). We do miss Rem-Dog, though.
The peak of summer in the NE. It always was my favorite time of year. We do get a LOT more of it here, though, so this isn't really a complaint.

What we DON't miss:

MA politics!
Lunar roads
MA drivers
"attitude" and "edge."
Constant wingeing about how us greedy taxpayers don't want to help "pay our fair share" "for the children." after we've given 20% or more of our incomes to them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,408,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post

What we like/love:

The people. Seriously.
The weather. This will only get better as I hear my friends in MA & NH talking about the snow.
The relative efficiency of government (I know some Tarheels will argue this one )
Proximity to several substantial-sized cities that each have their unique pluses.

What we miss:

our friends. It is hard to start over in your 50's making new friends, no matter how friendly your neighbors are.
Being able to watch all Red Sox games without paying a king's ransom (makes the ones we can see all the much better). We do miss Rem-Dog, though.
The peak of summer in the NE. It always was my favorite time of year. We do get a LOT more of it here, though, so this isn't really a complaint.

What we DON't miss:

MA politics!
Lunar roads
MA drivers
"attitude" and "edge."
Constant wingeing about how us greedy taxpayers don't want to help "pay our fair share" "for the children." after we've given 20% or more of our incomes to them.
Well, 3 weeks for us & I feel the same way! Your comment about the children had me choking with laughter!

Hubby & I just turned 40. We are in a townhouse we are renting & I am anxious to get into our permanent house to start meeting people. It will not be easy. We will not be going back north for Thanksgiving. It will be weird with it just being our little family. That is the down side.
The rest of the time I just try to get my mind around the fact that we live in this lovely place.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM

104 posts, read 358,572 times
I'll be in the North for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Easter, 4th of July... you get the idea.

The best part of the year is when summer turns to fall. There's that certain feeling in the air; not cold, but not warm either. The edge of a season change. That's when I look forward to getting in some last trips to the east end of Long Island. Greenport, with a view of Shelter Island. Even the ocean has a certain sound to it that reminds you of an approaching fall season, then soon enough, winter. It's a great feeling.

When winter comes, you get out the snow shovel that you tossed into the shed behind the outdoor umbrella, the one you always said you'd get around to fixing someday. Then the holidays approach, somehow cinnamon only smells good when it's cold outside, not to mention the smell of that first log in the fire place.

With good time management, and a good shovel, the winter goes by quickly. Then spring comes once again. It has its own special feeling to it.

Waiting for that first flower to open, getting out the garden hose, wondering what you'll plant in the garden for the coming year. Scheduling the landscaper to come fix that sprinkler head you busted while trying to dig a basement in the snow fort you helped your nephew to build. Anyway...

Enjoy NC.

Last edited by New_Yorker; 08-19-2006 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-19-2006, 08:57 PM

164 posts, read 319,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker View Post
I'll be in the North for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Easter, 4th of July... you get the idea.

The best part of the year is when summer turns to fall. There's that certain feeling in the air; not cold, but not warm either. The edge of a season change. That's when I look forward to getting in some last trips to the east end of Long Island. Greenport, with a view of Shelter Island. Even the ocean has a certain sound to it that reminds you of an approaching fall season, then soon enough, winter. It's a great feeling.

When winter comes, you get out the snow shovel that you tossed into the shed behind the outdoor umbrella, the one you always said you'd get around to fixing someday. Then the holidays approach, somehow cinnamon only smells good when it's cold outside, not to mention the smell of that first log in the fire place.

With good time management, and a good shovel, the winter goes by quickly. Then spring comes once again. It has its own special feeling to it.

Waiting for that first flower to open, getting out the garden hose, wondering what you'll plant in the garden for the coming year. Scheduling the landscaper to come fix that sprinkler head you busted while trying to dig a basement in the snow fort you helped your nephew to build. Anyway...

Enjoy NC.
You are making me a little jealous! As excited as I am about moving to NC, and I am, I've always wanted to live in New England or on the East Coast. Fall is my favorite season, and I bet it's beautiful up there! We considered New Hampshire and other states in New England, but my husband can't stand the snow. He loves the heat. Me, I think I'd prefer up north, but the heat is fine too and so NC works for us. But your post makes New York sound lovely ...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM

So, leave your husband and come live with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
You are making me a little jealous! As excited as I am about moving to NC, and I am, I've always wanted to live in New England or on the East Coast. Fall is my favorite season, and I bet it's beautiful up there! We considered New Hampshire and other states in New England, but my husband can't stand the snow. He loves the heat. Me, I think I'd prefer up north, but the heat is fine too and so NC works for us. But your post makes New York sound lovely ...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 PM

164 posts, read 319,139 times
Quote:
So, leave your husband and come live with me.
If you only knew how quickly I'd jump on that offer ...

Old 08-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
If you only knew how quickly I'd jump on that offer ...

Old 08-20-2006, 04:02 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,905,006 times
Quote:

Enjoy NC.
Ahhh I remember all that, those were my favorite things about the NE, well for me it will be like that again without the big snow when I move to NC. Coming from the desert now I will surely feel cold and see the change of seasons. You guys from the NE may find the weather mild but for me it will probably be harsh and I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:07 AM

180 posts, read 680,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I just had this email discussion with someone who is looking to leave the town in MA that we just left.

I laid it out for him and stressed that you should be willing to accept the area that you are moving to for what it is, because if we don't we change it from what we wanted to move to in the first place (there's that sentiment again).

I've said it before on this forum: I swear that the only thing I will tell locals here that we did better Up in New England is if I find out that they eat red clam soup and call it "chowder." Or how to "prepay-ah a lobstah"

We've been here for nearly three months now.

What we like/love:

The people. Seriously.

What we miss:

What we DON't miss:

MA politics!
Lunar roads
MA drivers
"attitude" and "edge."
You can get nesn on Dish and Directv, only not in HD because of the MPEG4 spotbeam. You don't want to watch them right now anyway!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 59,906 times
Default Another one to leave...

It's just too cold, too rude, and too expensive here in America's Home Town (Plymouth). My wife and I and business partner are looking to relocate south and NC seems to be a good choice. We want to open an alternative health practice and school (tai-chi, qigong, bodywork, etc.) so I guess we're looking for someplace that has an active "alternative" community, i.e. Asheville. I love the mountains but being realistic, and I know you have a very big and diverse state, what areas might be amenable to this type of business? Also obviously we are concerned about cost, climate, etc. I know I'm going to miss little necks, steamers, and 5.99/lb lobster, but I'll visit back here in the summers for those things. Any help from my southern neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or