U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,675,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyT View Post
It's just too cold, too rude, and too expensive here in America's Home Town (Plymouth). My wife and I and business partner are looking to relocate south and NC seems to be a good choice. We want to open an alternative health practice and school (tai-chi, qigong, bodywork, etc.) so I guess we're looking for someplace that has an active "alternative" community, i.e. Asheville. I love the mountains but being realistic, and I know you have a very big and diverse state, what areas might be amenable to this type of business? Also obviously we are concerned about cost, climate, etc. I know I'm going to miss little necks, steamers, and 5.99/lb lobster, but I'll visit back here in the summers for those things. Any help from my southern neighbors?
The most receptive area for that type of business would be Raleigh-Durham & Chapel Hill.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-20-2006 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 17,424 times
does any one have an idea about the cost of utilities -- energy bills and water bills etc? do the taxes include garbage pick-up? trying to learn more about the realities of relocating to NC -- what would it cost to run a 2500 - 3000 sq ft house in NC?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 PM

18 posts, read 59,882 times
Great mm,
Can you tell me about those ares? Why are they better than Asheville?
Thanks in advance,
Buddy

Old 08-20-2006, 04:44 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,675,176 times
Quote:
Great mm,
Thanks in advance,
Buddy
Much higher population (one million +), i.e. potential customers, plus it's a younger population who would be more open to new things. Three very large universities are clustered in that area, Duke University in Durham, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and N.C. State University in Raleigh.

http://www.insiders.com/carolina-golf/graphics/map-nctriangle.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 08-20-2006 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
You guys from the NE may find the weather mild but for me it will probably be harsh and I'm kinda looking forward to it.
Ask my husband and he'll say the winters are far from mild, but that's because he can't stand the harsh winters with the snow, and we even had a snow blower.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 39,947 times
Default Lenoir (Avery County) North Carolina

Hi,
Could you give me as much information on the Lenoir (Avery County) North Carolina. Like the area, crime, school and people. This would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 AM

333 posts, read 1,097,401 times
Quote:
Great mm,
Thanks in advance,
Buddy
BuddyT

Either Raleigh or Charlotte will work for you. Reason I say this is a lot of New Englanders and Californians (let's say blue states) people are moving down there, and in general they tend to be more liberal and they have been exposed to these things as part of culture from where they are from. Not to say NC's won't adopt it or want it, but you will have a ready made base for you in these 2 towns. In Raleigh area, Cary is probably the place to set up shop as this seems to be the haven for North east US refugees. I read a post in Charlotte forum that 9 of the 20 houses in his block (in Union County I believe) were people from Long Island. So you get the idea.

If you plan on having a physical location (studio) - then just open it up next to a Trader's Joe or Whole Food Market as these seem to be the "must haves" for the folks moving down from the NE.

In all seriousness with the huge influx of people from these areas, it sounds like a good business model to bring services from the north that are not commonplace in the south. Maybe I am being naive and there could already be a ton of alternative health services already in RTP or Charlotte but I assume not.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 20,419 times
Talking Laughing at the visual . . . ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom View Post
NYer,
Your last post made me laugh. I went to the grocery store today and went out of my way to be more friendly. I was a smiling fool. One older woman smiled back. Everyone else completely ignored me. Somebody actually did a double take. She must have thought she knew me-otherwise why else would I be smiling at her? It was a good lesson.

ROTFL @ this! Especially someone actually doing a double take!

Thanks for sharing that story, Jerseymom. I know you posted it a while back, but I just read it yesterday and your experiences as a "smiling fool" struck me funny for some reason. Hehehehe.

Most of the time, I love to smile and greet or nod at people in stores and wave to folks as they pass through the neighborhood, though I've gotten a bit more wary of it in recent years. Today at the bank, I walked in as a customer was explaining to the teller that she has one child who is a momma's boy and another who is a daddy's boy. Can't believe folks don't share stuff like that all over the nation.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:07 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,569,998 times
22k views. Is it a record? YIKES!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM

18 posts, read 59,882 times
Thanks thisguy,
I'm from near Boston so the thought of New Yawkahs being neighbors is not one I relish. But, their moneys green
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or