U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM

8 posts, read 17,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyT View Post
Thanks thisguy,
I'm from near Boston so the thought of New Yawkahs being neighbors is not one I relish. But, their moneys green
BuddyT -- once you pahk ya cah down in NC you can count on your NewYahk neighbors to be nice enough not to judge you and your "alternative" health practice. Maybe you need to adjust your "chi" before relocating...
Please try and not be so judgemental! We're pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 204,867 times
Hey, Im from Cape Cod and I think NY is the best city in the world! It beats Boston anyday....and I could care less about the sox or the yankees.....its the quality of ppl. Snobs vs. Real Ppl.......hmmmm......Sorry, I know that sounds bad but Im definately biased. From what Ive seen here in NC so far tho....Id give ANYTHING to have a neighbor from Boston OR NY right about now!!!!! Good luck!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phf919 View Post
Hey, Im from Cape Cod and I think NY is the best city in the world! It beats Boston anyday....and I could care less about the sox or the yankees.....its the quality of ppl. Snobs vs. Real Ppl.......hmmmm......Sorry, I know that sounds bad but Im definately biased. From what Ive seen here in NC so far tho....Id give ANYTHING to have a neighbor from Boston OR NY right about now!!!!! Good luck!
I guess there are all kinds of people everywhere, I just hope that if we decide to move down to NC that my family won't be pre-judged because of where we came from...

Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,069 times
Quote:
It's just too cold, too rude, and too expensive here in America's Home Town (Plymouth). My wife and I and business partner are looking to relocate south and NC seems to be a good choice. We want to open an alternative health practice and school (tai-chi, qigong, bodywork, etc.) so I guess we're looking for someplace that has an active "alternative" community, i.e. Asheville. I love the mountains but being realistic, and I know you have a very big and diverse state, what areas might be amenable to this type of business? Also obviously we are concerned about cost, climate, etc. I know I'm going to miss little necks, steamers, and 5.99/lb lobster, but I'll visit back here in the summers for those things. Any help from my southern neighbors?
You would like Boone, NC. Go visit... you'll want to stay.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 59,882 times
Thanks cobalt,
I'm a Kansas transplant, but lived in MA for many many years, so more NE like weather is not for me. TTG, I'm a kungfu teacher as well so my qi is fine, thanks.
Boston or NY, folks are just too rude and in too big a hurry, even me, for my taste. My wife and I lived in the SF Bay Area (Marin) for a while and that was nice.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks thisguy,
I'm from near Boston so the thought of New Yawkahs being neighbors is not one I relish. But, their moneys green
BT, just trying to point out that as you judge NYer's as being rude -- and make a comment that reads as you'll take their money but you don't relish the thought of them being your neighbor -- you are being unfair and quite honestly a little rude too. No offense intended, but it is the equivalent of someone saying "he's from Kansas, what does he know" or "A kungfu teacher -- he thinks he's above it all" -- and that is not what I think, just making an analogy. I am sorry I reacted to your statement, I just took offense and felt bad to think we may be neighbors and you would judge me before you got to know me. That's all. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:18 PM

18 posts, read 59,882 times
I'm from Kansas but I'm a New Englander for 40 years. If you'll read my post you'll see I was talking about New Englanders being rude not New Yorkers, although...My comments about New Yorkers are more from the rivalry that NY and Boston always seem to have going. What others may think of me is none of my business.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 AM

7 posts, read 9,305 times
Default IN NJ now

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
I live in Matthews and work all over the state. I moved from PA and NJ over 12 years ago and would never consider going back. Ask some questions and I will answer as best I can.
Hello I am interested to know a little more of NC particularly the statesville area. Presently I live in NJ.. Like everyone else I am looking for a better place to live. Something more affordable. I am in construction, how is it in NC? Some friends of mine are moving to NC and they are inviting us to go down with them. Then we will physically check things out. But my only reservation is do jobs pay enough in retrospect to the cost of living. Presently I am a self employed woodworker.

This for anyone here who has a opinion.. I would like to hear from as many as I can.. Thanks!

I am not worried about Racism.. I have alredy dealt with this in Europe.. It can't be as bad as europe..

Old 08-23-2006, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
My husband and I (and our 2 boys, ages 2 and 3) are looking to relocate to the Raleigh-Durham-Cary or Charlotte area within the next year. We are looking for information on the following:
-employment in the IT field (best places to work)
-christian private schools and day cares
-real estate (not too far from the business district and not in rural areas); also how are new housing developments vs. older homes appreciating in these days
-comparioson between the two areas

We are planning a trip to NC (from NJ) in two weeks and are contemplating what city to look into first - Charlotte or the RTP area.

I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by ValVal; 08-23-2006 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 AM

333 posts, read 1,097,401 times
Preface: I am not in NC but read these boards like mad lol

1) Either city is fine for IT. Every major large sized company or govt organization or university needs IT - both cities have them. Large banking type of companies in Charlotte, biotech/tech companies in Raleigh but I have seen some of each in both areas on job boards - should be easy to find but I have heard other IT people say dont expect the same salaries in this area as opposed to wherever you came from NJ (that is not personal experience, just a poster or two)

2) The south is very christian - you should not have an issue in either major city

3) real estate is booming in both areas with a ton of new development. in charlotte it seems to be especially booming to the north and south of the city, all outskirts of Raleigh seem to have developments going up, especiallY Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, up to Wake Forest in the north. I think once you leave the main city you are in new development suburbia heaven (if that is heaven for you)

4) compare 2 areas: Charlotte seems the more conservative, raleigh maybe more of the "somewhat" liberal area with Durham/Chapel Hill area. Both towns have some downtown area (dont expect NYC), but both have most of the quality of life things (and lack some of the same things) that people are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or